Veteran Member
Kudos: 1220
Solutions: 99

Re: Bandwidth limits on a group NOT working

The upgrade will show if the firmware in the device does not match what is bundled or pushed to the controller. You can disregard the button.
Emerging Member
Kudos: 46

I'm seeing something slightly different.  Running Unifi 5.4.8 (beta) on Ubuntu.  I have three user groups created, a limited profile, a guest limited and the default.  I've assigned the limited group to several devices directly from the clients list.  They work fine, and are throttled as expected.  What I am seeing though, is that default assigned profile users will occasionally appear to be throttled, and a client config update in Unifi to another group and back to default solves the issue, at least until it happens again.  APps are running the FW provided with the Unifi release.

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 301
Solutions: 10

@mslaga, the behavior you're describing could very likely have the same root cause as what has been described previously in this forum.  Are you willing to try 3.7.33, which is bundled with controller v5.5.?

If you'd like to try our latest features, consider signing up for beta: https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/204908664-How-To-Sign-Up-for-Beta-Access

If you're trying to debug a network issue, take a look at this help article: https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/221029967-UniFi-Debugging-Intermittent-Connectivity-Issues-on-your-UAP
Emerging Member

Yes, I'll give it a shot. 

Emerging Member
Kudos: 4
Solutions: 1

I am happy to say I have moved a number AP's to 3.7.33 and the bandwidth throttling now seems to work on those particular AP's. Be advised that I received a number of calls about peoples wifi working slowly this morning. I did these firmware updates remotely via VPN over the weekend. This morning I found the clients in question were joined to distant AP's and never renegotiated a connection with a better signal AP. I had to manually kick those clients and then they re-joined the network on their normal AP.

I set one user group to 2500 kbps and the client showed a rock solid celing of 2500 when running speed tests.

I will post any additional findings as they develop.

Thanks

Was having issues with bandwidth limits. Using 5.3.8.2 controller. Looks like beta firmware for AC Lite 3.7.33 is working properly...so far:

http://dl.ubnt.com/unifi/firmware/U7PG2/3.7.33.5978/BZ.qca956x.v3.7.33.5978.161222.1422.bin
Veteran Member
Kudos: 1220
Solutions: 99

@CollierFiber

The 3.7.34 has been released by UBNT-MikeD. Try it out.
Kudos: 12

@UBNT-BenBuckley,

Status Update:  Last night I upgraded my controller to 5.3.11 and my AP to 3.7.34.  On the client that I was testing, it looks like the rate-limit worked.  Good news and thank you so much for your assistance with this!

However, I'm troubleshooting another potential issue/bug, but I'm not entirely sure if it IS really an issue yet.  I turned off rate-limit on all of my SSIDs to test that if I want to remove a previously applied rate-limit, it would update as expected.

Test:

1.  I removed the rate-limit on the SSID that I was testing with and verified the client was set to automatic.  I went to speedtest.net and it looks like the rate limit was removed.  But, when I checked in the log file, the entry showed the mac address of the client has been tagged for rate-limiting.  Since I removed rate-limiting from all of my SSIDs, I ran the following command to just show what was showing in the log as rate-limited.  

cat /var/log/messages | grep 'node.*tagged for'  <-- non-rate limited devices showed up as 'tagged for non rate-limiting'

After the AP provisioned, I guess i expected to not see any devices tagged for rate limiting in the log since the user group on each SSID was set back to the Default user group: unlimited/unlimited.  I tried waiting a few minutes and manually disconnected some clients in the GUI who's MAC address was showing rate limited in the log, once the device reconnected I checked to see if they showed as rate limited or not based upon when they reconnected via timestamp.  I haven't been able to get anything conclusive yet, it looks like some times clients reconnected as non-rate limited and others still come back as rate-limited.  This could very-well be something on the client-side, too.

Next step is to run speedtests from those clients, that I can, that show rate-limited in the log and see if in fact they are being rate-limited or not.

I sure wish rate limiting could be done at the port level. Seems like it could be much more fool proof and better solution for my purposes.
Ubiquiti Employee

@MEM223 that is not an error.  Notice that when you have the rate-limiting turned off, the message shows up as 'tagged for non-rate-limiting'.  But when you have it on, the message shows up as 'tagged for rate-limiting'.

If you'd like to try our latest features, consider signing up for beta: https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/204908664-How-To-Sign-Up-for-Beta-Access

If you're trying to debug a network issue, take a look at this help article: https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/221029967-UniFi-Debugging-Intermittent-Connectivity-Issues-on-your-UAP
Ubiquiti Employee

@CollierFiber can you explain why you think port-specific rate-limiting would work better for your purposes?

I'm doing MDU. I think one AP with it's own port is a premium configuration and affordable thanks to Ubiquiti.

I like to have one SSID that's that's dual and one that that's just AC which I reserve for TV streaming because I'm stream live OTA TV, monostream, from network tuners. This video is fat unconpressed MPEG 2. It must connect at AC.

By having two SSIDs the resident is getting their bandwidth twice. If it was done at the port level I would solve this.

I also would like to be able to offer a wired connection. I think the new AC IW will be great for this. I'm not sure how the bandwidth is limited out of the new AC IW, but I think limiting at the port would be great for this too.

Sorry for all the typos.

[ Edited ]

@UBNT-BenBuckley,

The reason i thought it was an error is because when I turn off the rate limiting on the SSID, when I log into the AP to view the log files, some of the MAC addresses associated with that SSID show as 'tagged for rate-limiting' still in the log.  This is even after the provisioning, disconnect and reconnect of clients and waiting for a few minutes between changes so that I know what time I disconnected/reconnected the clients after rate limiting was turned off for the SSID.

This also seems to only happen on the 2Ghz.

Ubiquiti Employee

@MEM223 re-provisioning the AP won't actually wipe the logs.  A reboot will, but I doubt you want to do that.

For one of the MAC addresses in question, do you see a log entry that shows it being 'tagged for...' and then a later entry that shows it being 'tagged not...'?

Is it possible for you to try a download speed test for that client?  I know it is probably a customer's device and that you don't have physical access to it.  But if you do, maybe give it a try.

FYI - this is in my home environment so I have a bit more flexibility.  :-)

I'll do some more testing when I can and report back here.  I was doing quick testing this morning and will need to do more detailed testing with notes.

[ Edited ]

So THAT's what's been going on. I upgraded to the latest controller software and AP firmware and noticed an odd decrease in performance. 

I have 8 APs, two SSIDs, and two user groups. The Guest SSID is set to the Limited Mobile (rate limited to 3mbps) group. The Main SSID is set to the Default user group (unlimited). What I found was that devices (set to Auto) on the Main SSID were getting rate limited to the Limited Moble setting. 

If i went into the controller and set the user group to Default for that device (on Main SSID), the rate limit would be lifted. However, if that device left the WLAN and rejoined, the rate limit would be re-applied. If I went back into the controller, saved it to Automatic, then saved it back to Default, the limit would be removed. 

I will try the beta firmware to see if this behavior changes. 

Kudos: 1

@UBNT-BenBuckley- Are you able to assist?

I am having a similar situation and have tried most things in this forum to no avail.  The last thing I did was create another site and migrate my AP's over to it with the appropriate settings.  I have my User Group setup as 4x2 and the Download seems to be working fine.  I get close to 4MB down but the Upload gets upto .25 and then goes to 0. 

Previous Employee
Kudos: 4837
Solutions: 197

We're working on a way to reproduce this to fix.
Want to try out new features or fixes before they're released as Stable? Sign up for Beta here: https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/204908664-How-To-Signup-for-Beta-Access
Kudos: 1

@UBNT-Brandon- So at the moment there isn't a fix to this?  My setup is for my church running on a VM so if it would solve it I can do a complete reinstall, OS and all, forget the AP's and finally re-adopt on the new system.  If we know that would work it is an option.