Scheduled maintenance: Community available only in read-only mode until 6:00 AM (PT)
Kudos: 1
Accepted Solution

Broken Controller Moving to CloudKey from Local Controller on Mac

I messed up the process of moving my controller from a local computer to a cloudkey and now I can't get a controller running at all. I'm not a professional, so please forgive me.  This is going to make me look like a complete idiot.  Up until now, the ubiquiti technology had been idiot proof, but now I've broken things and can't fix it.  Any advise is welcomed.

I was running 4.8.18 on a local controller running on a mac.  I started plugged in the new cloud key and followed instructions to get the system to 5.10.21.0 on the cloud key.  

I was working with an online chat tech and started trying to follow these instructions which he provided

https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/204952144-UniFi-How-to-Create-and-Restore-a-Backup

I generated the backup, used method 1 to start restoring the controller, started working on changing the INform Address and just as I was about to execute step 5, the tech told me this wouldn't work because of the incompatible controller versions on the local controller and the cloud key.  

So, he pointed me to this https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-Wireless/UniFi-Controller-4-8-26-gt-5-9-29-upgrade-on-Windows-10... and suggested I run these 8 upgrades in sequence on my local controller and then go back and create a new backup of the local controller to restore to the cloudkey.  So I unplugged the cloudkey and started down this path.  I succesfully updated to 5.07, 5.2.9, 5.3.11, 5.4.19, 5.5.20.  But when I tried to update to 5.6.40 it told me i didn't have permission to access the link.  So I upgrated to 5.6.42 and install was successful. Here's where I got off the rails.  Naively, I tried to upgrade to 5.8.30 and it failed.  Then I tried 5.9.29 and I'm not sure if that worked or not.  Then the controller wouldn't start on the computer (times out).  I tried reinstalling 5.6.42 and 5.6.40 and nothing will let me start the local controller.  So I'm not sure which version of controller was last functioning and I can't start the controller software from the mac to check.

I can see from the wireless app that my security gateway is running 4.4.36.5146617 and my ap ac lites are all running 4.0.21.9965.  These devices say they are "managed by other" in the wireless app and there is no controller visible.

My wifi network is still functioning, but I have no way to manage it.  

My ultimate goal is still to get the network running off the cloud key.  But with no running local controller I'm not sure what to do.  I'm open to all options (e.g. 1. repairing the controller on my local mac, 2. skipping the old local controller and trying to get things working with the cloud key which was almost all the way set up, 3. installing a new controller on a different pc a trying to get things working from there, 4. completely wiping the network and starting over if there is some way to release the security gateway and ap ac lites from the original controller.). 

My network isn't that complex, so option 4 doesn't seem so bad if it's feasible.  I've got no servers or anything.  Just basically running a switch full of printers/sonos devices/desktops and 2 SSIDs. 

Any help is thoroughly welcomed.  

Accepted Solutions
Kudos: 4870
Solutions: 1289

Re: Broken Controller Moving to CloudKey from Local Controller on Mac

Hello @dabes,

I have send you a backup file for 5.9.29.

Reinstall the controller, import the backup and upgrade your devices... cache the firmware prior to the upgrade.

Settings > Maintenance > Firmware

Upgrade the controller to 5.10.23 after the firmware on your devices has been upgraded to the latest stable ones. ( USG | 4.4.36 | UAP AC LITE | 4.0.21 )

You can use my Easy Update Script to upgrade the controller version.

Regards,
Glenn R.

Cloud Hosted Controllers | Glenn R. | UniFi Installation/Easy Update Scripts | UniFi-Video Installation Scripts | UniFi-VoIP Installation Scripts
USG-XG-8 • USG-4-PRO • USG
US-XG-16 • US-48-500W • US-24-POE-250W 2x • US-16-POE-150W 3x • US-24 • US-8-150W • US-8
UAP XG • UAP-SHD • UAP-HD • UAP-NanoHD 2x • UAP-AC-PRO 2x • UAP-AC-LITE • UAP-AC-IW • UAP-AC-M • UAP-AC-M-PRO 2x
UAS-XG • UCK-G2-PLUS • UCK-G2 • UCK

View solution in original post

All Replies

Hello @dabes,

Upload ur backup to a cloud drive and PM it to me, I will get it to 5.10.23 for you.

5.6.42 currently has no upgrade path at all.

You can also purge UniFi, install 5.0.7, import the backup and run my Easy Update Script...

Thanks for pointing out the link to 5.6.40, I fixed it in the other thread Man Happy

Regards,

Glenn R.

Cloud Hosted Controllers | Glenn R. | UniFi Installation/Easy Update Scripts | UniFi-Video Installation Scripts | UniFi-VoIP Installation Scripts
US-XG-16 • US-48-500W • US-24-POE-250W 2x • US-16-POE-150W 3x • US-24 • US-8-150W • US-8
UAP XG • UAP-SHD • UAP-HD • UAP-NanoHD 2x • UAP-AC-PRO 2x • UAP-AC-LITE • UAP-AC-IW • UAP-AC-M • UAP-AC-M-PRO 2x

Thanks.  That's amazing.

My backup is on a computer at my home and I'm at work so I'll get that uploaded and PMed to you this evening.

Will I just install the 5.10.23 version you send back to me directly to the cloudkey? 

Highlighted

Hello @dabes,

I will send instructions with it, but yeah all you need to do is reinstall 5.10.23 and import a backup.

Regards,

Glenn R.

Hello @dabes,

I have send you a backup file for 5.9.29.

Reinstall the controller, import the backup and upgrade your devices... cache the firmware prior to the upgrade.

Settings > Maintenance > Firmware

Upgrade the controller to 5.10.23 after the firmware on your devices has been upgraded to the latest stable ones. ( USG | 4.4.36 | UAP AC LITE | 4.0.21 )

You can use my Easy Update Script to upgrade the controller version.

Regards,
Glenn R.

Thank you for your help.

Hello @dabes,

You're welcome sir Man Happy

Regards,

Glenn R.