Kudos: 3

CK Gen2+ vs Home Server

Hi all,

I am considering my options whether or not to purchase the CK2+ or build up a home server with Ubuntu running both the CK and NVR. I would be upgrading the CK2+ HDD straight away as I have around 6 cameras. For the Ubuntu setup, I am thinking of a M.2 SDD for Ubuntu O/S and a single 4-8TB HDD or multiple HDD in RAID.

I am interested to hear your thoughts as to the pros and cons each way. I am mind full of price but I am happy to go either way as long as the system serves well in to the future.

I look forward to your comments - Thanks!

Ancient Member
Kudos: 10397
Solutions: 1600

Re: CK Gen2+ vs Home Server

It's an apple to oranges comparison.  Are you aware that you cannot install UniFi Protect on your own hardware?

DIY hardware = UniFi Video

UCK-G2+ = UniFi Protect

Kudos: 225
Solutions: 10

@LLigetfa wrote:

It's an apple to oranges comparison.  Are you aware that you cannot install UniFi Protect on your own hardware?

DIY hardware = UniFi Video

UCK-G2+ = UniFi Protect

Was just coming here to say that...

UCK-G2-PLUS | USG-3P | USW-24P-250 | USW-8P-150 | UAP-AC-LR | UAP-HD-IW | UVC-G3-AF | UVC-G3-PRO | UVC-G3-FLEX

[ Edited ]

Yup, I am aware that Protect is different and not “installable” on Ubuntu - only UniFi Video is able to be downloaded/installed on a home build.

just wanting to seek thoughts as to which way might be the best to go? I see pros and cons with each system. I like the CK2+ due to the compact form, but I do worry about the constant recording and potential longevity of the HDD.

im. It scared to get my hands dirty to install the system on Ubuntu but aware of the larger form factor that comes with the home brew system. 

Will unifi video continue to be to be supported for some time into the future or will there be a move across to Protect?

on a side, is there a way to save the Protect footage on an external device (such as NAS) - just thinking about installation and longevity for either system.

thoughts?

Kudos: 2217
Solutions: 640

[ Edited ]

Hello @Orangepeel,

Doubt UniFi Video will dissapear anytime soon..

There is an other USB C port which is reserved for the future, you can also upgrade the HDD in the UCK G2 Plus.

I'm not a ware of a feature to change the recording path ( yet ).

Regards,

Glenn R.

Cloud Hosted Controllers | Glenn R. | UniFi Installation/Easy Update Scripts | UniFi-Video Installation/Easy Update Scripts | UniFi-VoIP Installation Scripts
USG-4-PRO • USG
USW-48-500W • USW-24-POE-250W 2x • USW-16-POE-150W 3x • USW-24 • USW-8-150W • USW-8
UAP XG • UAP-SHD • UAP-HD • UAP-NanoHD • UAP-AC-PRO 2x • UAP-AC-LITE • UAP-AC-IW • UAP-AC-M
UCK-G2-PLUS • UCK-G2 • UCK

According to the data sheet I’ve read, the USB C is only for Power. There is another one but currently reserved

Highlighted
Kudos: 2217
Solutions: 640

Hello @Orangepeel,

Correct, currently you can only upgrade the HDD.

Regards,

Glenn R.

Cloud Hosted Controllers | Glenn R. | UniFi Installation/Easy Update Scripts | UniFi-Video Installation/Easy Update Scripts | UniFi-VoIP Installation Scripts
USG-4-PRO • USG
USW-48-500W • USW-24-POE-250W 2x • USW-16-POE-150W 3x • USW-24 • USW-8-150W • USW-8
UAP XG • UAP-SHD • UAP-HD • UAP-NanoHD • UAP-AC-PRO 2x • UAP-AC-LITE • UAP-AC-IW • UAP-AC-M
UCK-G2-PLUS • UCK-G2 • UCK