Scheduled maintenance: Community will be offline Monday June 17th, 1:00 AM - 6:00 AM (PT)
Kudos: 92
Solutions: 9
Accepted Solution

Can I continue to use my old router as access point?

Hello - now that I have a brand new Unifi setup with 1 AC-LR and soon-to-be AC-PRO ; I wanted to know if I can wire my old router - which is also AC as a 3rd. access point linked via switch to USG. It's not POE but that's fine. I can connect to the WAN port of my router, access the web UI and have it configured as an access point. Is it possible? I am okay that Unifi controller won't give me data for this router.

Did the answer helped you ? if yes, i would love your kudos on it

Accepted Solutions
SuperUser
Kudos: 4678
Solutions: 1060

Re: Can I continue to use my old router as access point?

Yes. If its one that can be turned into an AP from Router in the GUI then thats one way.

Or if it can't then just connect to a LAN port not WAN, disable DHCP and give it a IP address that isn't used. Then you have an extra switch and wifi AP in one box.

UK Comms & Links Engineer.

Come on you lot, Feel free to 'Mark as Solution' At least click the Kudos button. Thanks.

Top Solution Authors Leaderboard

View solution in original post

Kudos: 227
Solutions: 76

Diito to what Fireblade regarding turning the router's DHCP off, assigning it a static IP and using it as a switch / AP. I was running my Asus this way for a while and utimately replaced it with an AP (it worked, I just wanted a "unified" front *snicker har har*)  Also if you use the same SSID on your old router as your unifi APs, you'll get a rogue network alert. To stop that alert, in your controller, go to insights, change the dropdown to neighboring access points and find your router and "mark as known".

Rogue Network.JPG
SuperUser

[ Edited ]

Connect to your old routers LAN port so that you use it as an AP/switch with out using it as a router. Stays in same subnet as rest of your UniFi system then.

Its quite often a choice of people who have an AirMax PtP bridge and want to have a wifi AP at the end. They just an an old router set up as I detailed above.

Come on you lot, Feel free to 'Mark as Solution' At least click the Kudos button. Thanks.

All Replies
SuperUser

Yes. If its one that can be turned into an AP from Router in the GUI then thats one way.

Or if it can't then just connect to a LAN port not WAN, disable DHCP and give it a IP address that isn't used. Then you have an extra switch and wifi AP in one box.

I can give it a static IP address which ain't used. But are you saying I ought to connect the cable from my MAIN router, i.e. USG (via a switch) to a LAN port of the old router? OR, I should still connect to the WAN port of the old router but make sure DHCP is turned off in this old router, NAT/etc. firewall is turned off along with associating the old router with a static IP address in USG and/or old router?

If this works - it'll be terrific!! I believe my old router will take up some of the load from my main AC-LR/AC-PRO.

Diito to what Fireblade regarding turning the router's DHCP off, assigning it a static IP and using it as a switch / AP. I was running my Asus this way for a while and utimately replaced it with an AP (it worked, I just wanted a "unified" front *snicker har har*)  Also if you use the same SSID on your old router as your unifi APs, you'll get a rogue network alert. To stop that alert, in your controller, go to insights, change the dropdown to neighboring access points and find your router and "mark as known".

Rogue Network.JPG
SuperUser

[ Edited ]

Connect to your old routers LAN port so that you use it as an AP/switch with out using it as a router. Stays in same subnet as rest of your UniFi system then.

Its quite often a choice of people who have an AirMax PtP bridge and want to have a wifi AP at the end. They just an an old router set up as I detailed above.

You should run it to the LAN of your old router, after you turn off your old router's DHCP. So it should look like Something like - USG-->switch-->old router (lan / DHCP in old router turned off, static IP assigned to old router). Your old router's remaining LAN ports should act as an unmanaged switch.

Emerging Member
Kudos: 15

I normally disable the wifi and make it a switch or remove it. If I go with unifi, then I keep it unifi only.

I had a customer that was complaning about bad connections. I did put 3 unifis and still complaining. It's because of the old wifi/router. I removed it and all went good.

There's a reason I asked and yes: thank you.

The old router I have is called "Portal" made by Ignition Labs, CA, US. It has a feature whereby if DFS channels are used (5G network) and there's radar interference then as required by law, it'll drop off those channels. However, as soon as interference is over - it'll switch back to those channels. The area I live has a heavy congesion of 5 GHz channels and this used to help. Unfortunately, they also support mesh and for whatever reason in my home mesh never worked. Kept dying on me. I ended up have 3 Portals and if I can backhaul them all I am OVER covered!!