Kudos: 944
Solutions: 148

Re: Can I manually set wired port speed on UAP-AC-Pro??

bitwiser wrote:
If I plug a wire to a laptop into the same port the AP is plugged into I can pull between 400-550Mbps depending on the time of the day. So I know the switch/port can do it.

There are no VLANs in play that would make your wired test different compared to wifi?

Did you recently do a fw upgrade on the switches or alter their configuration otherwise? Something must have changed.

1. I can change channels...I played with all the different channels quite a bit. I have 3 AP's that are fairly close to each other and don't want them on the same channel. But no matter what channel I used the speed issue was still there.

2. The cable runs are not long. Some are as short as 50' and some are as long as 200' (cat 6 cable)

3. I get on average a 300Mbps rate on client

4. nothing changes with a small netgear/unmanaged switch. Tried that earlier this week

5. I try connecting at AC with my Pixel phone and same rates.

6. I unpaired one of the AP's. Then installed previous build controller and downgraded firmware on the AP. Adopted it alone in the older build controller and still had the same issue with only the 1 AP and just me connected to it.

7. All managed switches are set to Auto neg.

Of course I have VLAN's. 3 of the 4 networks are on VLAN's. But I get the same speed accross all of them. Whether it is a network on the vlan or not.

[ Edited ]

Ok, something does not add up here, some elements of the "facts" could be assumed rather than factual. There is no ghost. ;-) You might be having two (or more) completely separate issues, so isolate, drill down in atomic steps, slowly and systematically. Start with an AP that has no link to your LAN at all, and transfer data between two devices (wireless/wired, wireless/wireless). Then put two APs onto your Netgear switch or, better, cross-link them directly - still no link to your LAN - and test with WiFi from one AP to the other.

Apart from that thought:

- try another switch model/brand

- how about your single ACv2, is it different = better?

- any difference with fw 3.4.18 (keep the controller)?

- I assume you already have tried a factory reset of the APs? Read on:

- create a new UniFi site for testing and configure everything manually from scratch (do not restore)

- what changed right before/when things went bad?

1. I'll try one AP on another subnet and switch to go out to the internet that is apart from the Cisco Layer 3 switches.

2. The ACv2 is the same on all 4 of my wireless networks. It is on one of the older 10/100 switches

3. I did not try with new controller on old firmware...went back to previous on both.

4. yes, I've done a factory reset on the test AP and rolled back firmware as well.

5. Nothing that I really can think of changed besides an auto firmware update, which I rolled back. But don't know the exact date things changed and if it really was the day the firmware upgraded. I updated controller aftr I had the speed issue hoping it would help. Did not.

[ Edited ]

You were too fast for me while I was editing and adding this:

- set up a freshly installed controller (or use the Android/iOS app)

- create a new UniFi site for testing and configure everything manually from scratch (do not restore anything)

- omit the guest network when doing that

*If* the Gigabit APs, as well as the correctly negotiated ACv2 on 100 Mbps show the same symptoms, then this is not a negotiation issue (at least not for these APs).

Thanks for your help and I did that earlier this week. I have a case with UBNT Tech support open as well, but they are slower than slow. They recommended that. I setup a fresh previous version of controller on seperate PC. Adopted AP with previous firmware. Did not import anything. No guest network. No VLAN's...just connecting to the main network. Same issue. I sent him a bunch of stuff after (The configs and stats I posted here) but have not heard anything back.

[ Edited ]

Test it at your home, and/or without any LAN/Internet access (as described above).

And do use iperf3 for testing.

If all your answers are "have done that, always the same" then ... give up. ;-> I get it how frustrating this is, but you will find the cause by actively diagnosing and digging systematically. Could be that the issue is with the notebook you use for testing, or ...

[ Edited ]

I have tried both my notebook (lenovo yoga2 pro) and a google Pixel phone. But everyone is complaining about the slow speeds. I try testing at night when there is no activity and really no difference. We have such a big pipe out to the internet that the wifi traffic can't consume it. I know the switches are not overloaded because we can see stats and wired PC's are getting Huge numbers.

I really have done all what I said...not just saying I've done that. I've been troubleshooting for almost 2 weeks and with UBNT support before coming on the board for help.

I will bring an AP home just to rule out the actual AP. I have a UBNT network at home as well so should not be hard.

Established Member
Kudos: 929
Solutions: 131

ub40 wrote:

EDIT: Make sure the respective ports on your managed switches are set to auto negotiation (do not manually fix them to 100 Mbit/s). And by the way, ethtool I can only find on the plain UAPs, but not any any of the ACs.

I have ethtool on both of my ACs (UAP-AC v2 and UAP-AC-HD).  I can't check the exact path on either at the moment, however. 

Established Member

bitwiser wrote:

7. All managed switches are set to Auto neg.

Perhaps, but what do the switches actually show as the negotiated link parameters for the given ports?  

IE: does the switch show 100/full, 100/half, 10/half, something else?  

Does the switch show any collisions or errors (I may have missed this above, for the switch).

I'll see if I can confirm the path for ethtool on the AP but I would expect it is /usr/sbin/ethtool

I really find it puzzling that the controller is indicating the AP is connected at 1000/full so would want to confirm this directly on the AP, as well as the settings on the switch side too.  Not seeing collisions on the AP side is a hint that it at least selected full duplex but more details on both sides of the wired connection can help to  isolate and either confirm or rule-out the wired side as a problem.

[ Edited ]

It is very unlikely that the NICs of all your 12 APs got partially damaged in exactly the same way. But anyway, besides trying one at home you could reversly also bring a home AP to work to rule this out. And/or open up one or two APs and check with a magnifying glass for burns. Just naming all the improbable things here.

SuperUser
Kudos: 4975
Solutions: 1400

bitwiser wrote:

I have tried both my notebook (lenovo yoga2 pro) and a google Pixel phone. But everyone is complaining about the slow speeds. I try testing at night when there is no activity and really no difference. We have such a big pipe out to the internet that the wifi traffic can't consume it. I know the switches are not overloaded because we can see stats and wired PC's are getting Huge numbers.

Perhaps not, but testing to "the internet" could impose simple problems like "speedtest chose a server halfway around the world because reasons".  Your best bet would be iperf3 between a wireless client, and a wired server (note - run an iperf test with both wired in -- if they can only push 75 mbit between them on a gbit switch, then it won't be the wireless network's fault when that's all you can get).

bitwiser wrote:

I really have done all what I said...not just saying I've done that. I've been troubleshooting for almost 2 weeks and with UBNT support before coming on the board for help.

I will bring an AP home just to rule out the actual AP. I have a UBNT network at home as well so should not be hard.

Have you looked into the router, and/or "main" switch(es) nearest said router?  

I've had many instances of soho garbage failing (and even some low-end SMB stuff), and making it look like my shiny new UAP is at fault, even though a wired-in PC "works perfectly fine" in speedtests, etc. Swap it out with an ER-X (or ERL or ER-5, in the pre-ER-X days), and presto, wifi is back up to snuff. 

In addition, if a faulty QoS rule got applied to the VLAN(s) that the WiFi is on... 

I probably missed it - but did you confirm that there were no guest networks?  

Finally, did you try creating a new "unlimited" user group and applying it to the WLAN(s) in question?  I've noticed some instances of "default" having a case of the dumbs, and needing to switch off to a group I've made.

Also: This may be the right moment to start a full traffic capture (port mirror, wirehsark) on one of the AP ports. While ethernet may not be affected by loops or faulty NICs, wireless is much more sensitive to those.

Established Member

ub40 wrote:

It is very unlikely that the NICs of all your 12 APs got partially damaged in exactly the same way. But anyway, besides trying one at home you could reversly also bring a home AP to work to rule this out. And/or open up one or two APs and check with a magnifying glass for burns. Just naming all the improbable things here.

Before going down the path thinking NICs may have been damaged it might help to check the actual parameters and statistics (collissions and errors) on the switch side.  These are very easy checks and are a standard part of troubleshooting.

There is a well-known (infamous?) particular large switch vendor that was notorious for not being completely compatible with other vendor NIC implementations with respect to autonegotiation in the 10/100 days.  The results described in the OP are typical of those scenarios, particularly during any type of performance test.

Checking for errors would also help identify if there are actual hardware failures.  A switched connection should have zero collisions.

I also don't believe that the AP is actually at 1000/full - perhaps 100/full.  Without data communication over the additional two pairs a NIC should not be able to negotiate 1000BaseT, and a 10/100 switch would (should?) not use these pairs.  

Verifying the actual link parameters and statistics on both sides is important to either confirm or rule out whether the wired link is operating as expected.

no SOHO equipment. We have an UBNT ER-8 for the edge device (handles our block of public IP's to internal routers for different systems) Then we have a Cisco ASA 5508X that goes to a Cisco WS-C2960XR-48TS-I switch which the AP is plugged into (the other APs are plugged into Cisco 2960 100bT switches connected via fiber ports) For testing I'm just going to use the gigabit switch . I can see all the ports and traffic. The APs on this switch is connected at 1000FDX. No errors on the switch ports. I can guarantee it is not our connection (500Mbps Fiber to internet) or the equipment underperforming since I can plug a wire into the exact port and pull down 500+Mbps from my laptop.

I have not tried creating a new user group other than default. I will try that today.

The puzzling thing is all the AC AP pros show connected at 1000FDX. When in fact many are connected to 100BT switches that don't even know what 1000FDX is. I checked to ports and the switch reports the connection as 100 Full Duplex. Not sure why the AP is reporting 1000FDX. Guessing a firmware bug. But still if it thinks it is connecting that way maybe that is why there are so many errors on Wifi stats from ifconfig

I can try the mirror port this weekend after I exhaust the latest suggestions.

Another pointer: Have you read this guide by UBNT about WiFi trouble caused by broadcasts?

Highlighted
Kudos: 10

was there ever a solution for this? I just opened a ticket.

Switch ports set manually to 100fdx, ap reports 1000fdx.

Wired to the ports from a computer gives 100fdx and 100mb internet speed.

Wireless or wired through a UAP-AC-PRO gives <10mb speed