Scheduled maintenance: Community will be offline Monday June 17th, 1:00 AM - 6:00 AM (PT)
Kudos: 4870
Solutions: 1288

Re: Can't adopt AP, but I can ping them.

Hello @OCFP,

Explain yourself a little more?

What wireless devices are you talking about?

Regards,

Glenn R.

Cloud Hosted Controllers | Glenn R. | UniFi Installation/Easy Update Scripts | UniFi-Video Installation Scripts | UniFi-VoIP Installation Scripts
USG-XG-8 • USG-4-PRO • USG
US-XG-16 • US-48-500W • US-24-POE-250W 2x • US-16-POE-150W 3x • US-24 • US-8-150W • US-8
UAP XG • UAP-SHD • UAP-HD • UAP-NanoHD 2x • UAP-AC-PRO 2x • UAP-AC-LITE • UAP-AC-IW • UAP-AC-M • UAP-AC-M-PRO 2x
UAS-XG • UCK-G2-PLUS • UCK-G2 • UCK

I have 22 AP's

3 - UniFi AP-AC-Mesh Pro  (4.0.42.10433)

19 - UniFi AP-AC-Mesh  (4.0.42.10433)

10 are wired and 12 are wireless.

Tier 1 support had me "FORGET" 10 of them and one trying to get one of the 10 AP's to work again.

When I hook one of the UniFi AP-AC-Mesh AP to wired it works fine but as soon as I remove the "LAN" cable the AP moves to a DISCONNECTED state.  TIER 2 has not contacted me in 3 days.

Looking for help here

Hello @OCFP,

Keep it to 1 thread Man Wink

Regards,

Glenn R.

Cloud Hosted Controllers | Glenn R. | UniFi Installation/Easy Update Scripts | UniFi-Video Installation Scripts | UniFi-VoIP Installation Scripts
US-XG-16 • US-48-500W • US-24-POE-250W 2x • US-16-POE-150W 3x • US-24 • US-8-150W • US-8
UAP XG • UAP-SHD • UAP-HD • UAP-NanoHD 2x • UAP-AC-PRO 2x • UAP-AC-LITE • UAP-AC-IW • UAP-AC-M • UAP-AC-M-PRO 2x

sorry

Man Happy

SuperUser
Kudos: 6206
Solutions: 387

Did you check that the set inform override isn't set with the wrong DNS or IP address for the controller?  Ensure the Controller Hostname/IP field has either the correct fully qualified DNS name of the controller PC  OR the proper IP address for the PC, and ALSO make sure the Override Inform host with controller hostname/IP box is changed, or nothing is activated no matter what you type in the Controller Hostname/IP field.

The field and checkbox both have to be set.

It's in the Settings -> Controller -> Controller Settings section:

set inform override.png

When you receive a solution to your question/issue, don't forget to mark your thread as solved and to give kudo's to the people who have helped you out!

Having wifi problems? Take a look here first: https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/221029967-UniFi-Debugging-Intermittent-Connectivity-Issues-on-your-UAP
SuperUser

Also if you ssh into an ap and issue a 

ping unifi

and it doesn't correctly resolve the IP address of the controller and successfully ping it, that's the real root issue.  Whatever is providing DNS for your APs should have an A record for unifi wtih the IP address of your controller.  If you are using a USG and it's providing DNS for your APs then it should have a unifi record already.  If you aren't using a USG it should be pretty trivial to make a host entry in whatever is providing DNS for you.  

I still like to use the set-inform override with the IP address of the controller and just leave DNS out of it.  Haven't had one problem since they added that feature and I standardized all my sites in using it. 

When you receive a solution to your question/issue, don't forget to mark your thread as solved and to give kudo's to the people who have helped you out!

Having wifi problems? Take a look here first: https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/221029967-UniFi-Debugging-Intermittent-Connectivity-Issues-on-your-UAP
Solutions: 3

I do have the right IP settings in the UniFi controller, and I can ping unifi from AP.  Same issue.  I can ping the AP, but DISCONNECTED status

Hello @tantony,

Output of the INFO command?

Regards,

Glenn R.

Kudos: 609
Solutions: 17

[ Edited ]

Early this year I've had some APs that were not adopteable where it was helpful to check the server.log on the controller (using i.e. 'tail -f /var/log/unifi/server.log') and then issueing a set-inform on the AP in question to see what the controller reported in its log.

That overall was the most helpful thing to get a better understanding since /var/log/messages on the APs themselves usually don't contain much interesting information on that subject.

In our case the APs was correctly forgotten in the interface but still present in the MongoDB database. The fix was to
a) first take a Backup / Export of the controller
b) then to follow the instructions given by a Ubiquiti employee to purge that AP from the DB and (in my case) in another thread.

In my case it was also helpful to factory-reset the AP (set-default) before another set-inform.

His instructions can be found in the following thread: AP stuck in purgatory (as posted by UBNT-MikeD on 06-29-2015)

http://github.com/unifi-hackers/unifi-api

I'm able to adopt the APs now, my controller uses port 50000.  I SSH'd into each AP and ran the set inform command with the port 50000.

When I ran the set-inform command even with the wrong port number, it was telling me the same message as with the correct port number.  This was very misleading.  I wonder why the SSH didn't give an error message?  For example, even if I mistype a word, it will say the same message.

SuperUser

@tantony wrote:

I wonder why the SSH didn't give an error message?  For example, even if I mistype a word, it will say the same message.

the port number is a parameter for a command - how is it supposed to error check it?