Can't use AP / Start UniFi Controller.

[ Edited ]

Got an Edgerouter X. Installed it. Got a Poe injector for my AP Pro Outdoors. Excited about installing it. I plugged it in, started white, then blue, couldn't get the UniFi controller started on my PC. I have Java 8 installed. 64-bit version. I tried a few versions, uninstalling and restarting each time. Even installed the x86 version just incase. It just says initializing, then goes to starting...and stops there. I even tried moving it to the programs folder like I saw an older post say. No go.

Windows 10 64-bit here.

I tried using the phone app, which detected it, but when I tried to connedct to my Wi-Fi it just kept...disconnecting every 2 seconds and draining my phones battery.   Everytime after setup I tried to enter settings on my phone I'd get a cannot connect error.

Finally got it working, was using the wrong version of the controller. But now even though it can be found, I'm getting "Connected, but no Internet" -  Isee WPA Timeout / Failures, but no idea how to fix.

Kudos: 4513
Solutions: 1174

Re: Can't use AP / Start UniFi Controller.

[ Edited ]

Hello @Mkilbride,

Welcome to the community!

So your controller is running now and the UAP is adopted?

Could you post your system config and pictures of what you're seeing?

Settings > Maintenance > Support Info > Show System Config

Regards,

Glenn R.

Cloud Hosted Controllers | Glenn R. | UniFi Installation/Easy Update Scripts | UniFi-Video Installation Scripts | UniFi-VoIP Installation Scripts
USG-XG-8 • USG-4-PRO • USG
US-XG-16 • US-48-500W • US-24-POE-250W 2x • US-16-POE-150W 3x • US-24 • US-8-150W • US-8
UAP XG • UAP-SHD • UAP-HD • UAP-NanoHD 2x • UAP-AC-PRO 2x • UAP-AC-LITE • UAP-AC-IW • UAP-AC-M • UAP-AC-M-PRO 2x
UAS-XG • UCK-G2-PLUS • UCK-G2 • UCK

[ Edited ]

My controller ran once. Then I restarted my PC and it doesn't run now. I re-installed it, it went through the process of setting it all up again.

This whole thing is dizzying. I didn't want anything fancy here, just a strong Wi-Fi signal in my house, but half my stuff refuses to connect to it.  Most devices are using 2.4GHZ even when 5GHZ is available for some reason.

I can't edit my settings, but my Wi-Fi is still working.

From what I can tell it's related to Java, I have Java 9 installed and it's using that INSTEAD of the installed Java 8, but after a fresh install it uses Java 8, but only the one time...googling solutions, not worked for me so far.

Hello @Mkilbride,

Uninstall JAVA 9 and only install JAVA 8.

Make sure you set a static IP on your controller device.

Also make sure your firewall is turned off.

Regards,

Glenn R.

Cloud Hosted Controllers | Glenn R. | UniFi Installation/Easy Update Scripts | UniFi-Video Installation Scripts | UniFi-VoIP Installation Scripts
US-XG-16 • US-48-500W • US-24-POE-250W 2x • US-16-POE-150W 3x • US-24 • US-8-150W • US-8
UAP XG • UAP-SHD • UAP-HD • UAP-NanoHD 2x • UAP-AC-PRO 2x • UAP-AC-LITE • UAP-AC-IW • UAP-AC-M • UAP-AC-M-PRO 2x

Yeah uninstalling Java 9 did the trick. But it's frustrating to have to do so as I have other prorams that use it.

Ok so now when I go to Unifi Controller, I can't change anything because it says my device needs attention, nothing is attached to it. I can mess with a few settings on the phone app, but not much. Why must this be such a PITA?

Hello @Mkilbride,

It's not a PITA at all... You have to use the right programs in order for it to work..

So you reinstall UniFi correct?

Reset the devices and readopt them to the controller ( if the LED is blue and there are no devices in the devices tab. )

Regards,

Glenn R.

price of a rasberry pi b+ will fix the controller and windows issue. Controller runs well on Pi.

Bill
USG-4-Pro
AP- LR and AP-Pro
2-UniFi Switch 8 POE-60W
UC-CK Cloud Controller
Tesla > Edison

I have a Rasberry Pi 3B+, actually. What should I be doing with it, then?

Anyawys I did a hard reset. No go. Controller on PC still doesn't work.

[ Edited ]

Uninstalled, rest, and did everything over and over again. Seems to be working for now.

I have issues though. I ran a RF scan. Not great in my tiny house. Like -94dbm in pretty much every area of it.  Granted, my TPLInk450 gave me about 3-4Mbps downstairs.  Now I get anywhere from 60-80Mbps. So a big improvement...but I'm abit sad. A AP Pro wasn't cheap. I heard this was professional, enterprise grade, I was hoping considering my small two floor house that, you know...I'd get at least 100Mbps anywhere in it.

Part of the problem appears to be everything uses 2.4GHZ. When using 5GHZ, at least in my upstairs, I got my full 150-170Mbps speed. Downstairs I got about 100-110Mbps in the living room. But as soon as im oved to the Kitchen it was 53-54Mbps. I checked the UniFi Controller and it said I was on 2.4GHZ.  I tried changing channels, using band steering, but for some reason I always fall back to 2.4GHZ, even now right back next to the thing. That's honestly disappointing on two levels because one, 5GHZ is supposed to be faster, if shorter range, but still. Secondly, the 2.4GHZ is supposed to support UP to 450Mbps, yeah? But my devices on 2.4GHZ which support 150Mbps are only getting a third of that in rooms of my house. It's a small, 2 bedroom house, two floors.  Only like 1300 Square feet, tops. Less probably.  I was almost excited about cutting the long Ethernet cables I have in my home with this device, but it appears not possible. I guess that's my fault for being kind of mislead by the raving reviews across the net saying I could get full speed in any room of my small house.

Hello @Mkilbride,

Sounds like the UAP does cover your entire house, but 5GHz doesn't.

If you wan't full 5GHz coverage you would need one more UAP located close by the kitchen.

I also recommend the following Radio Settings

Devices > UAP > Config > Radios

2.4 GHz
Channel width: HT20
Chanel: 1/6/11 | Choose one of these channels, a RF scan will help you choose the most clean one.
Transmit Power: Low/Medium

5GHz
Channel width: VHT40 | Optional VHT80 might decrease wireless stability
Chanel: 36/44 | Optional (149/157) Choose one of these channels, a RF scan will help you choose the most clean one. Avoid using DFS Channels
Transmit Power: Medium/High

Regards,

Glenn R.

Ok. I got it all working now. I tried your settings and it wasn't working out. 2.4GHZ was about 40-50Mbps instead of the 60-70 I had before. So I reverted.

5GHZ was 100Mbps before, with your settings 80-90.  I switched to Low power on 2.4GHZ, Channel 1 (Least utilization of them all).

But the real caveat is 5GHZ. Channel 104. High Power. VHT80.  I get my full 150Mbps in almost my entire house, barring my kitchen, which I'm lead to believe is normal for Kitchens to have reduced wi-fi coverage due to electronics in them and such. I get about 80-90Mbps in there over the 40-50 I was getting previously. So that's pretty good for one AP. I'd say about 90% of my house has my full wired speed on 5GHZ. I seprated the 2.4GHZ and 5GHZ networks because my devices are all stupid or something and revert to 2.4GHZ and then never go back to 5GHZ. So I just directly attach them to the 5GHZ network. Seems to be working good for now. Though not every device is created equal. One thing I'm always confused about is my PS4 Pro. When directly connected via Ethernet cable at short range, I get my full speeds. When connected via a 25foot Cat6a cable, I get about 70% of my full speeds. This is using an Edgerouter X. I was lead to believe Cat6a would achieve full speed at that distance with my equipment, but it seems not to be the case.  Wireless I get about 106-110Mbps now. My old TP link was only like 37Mbps.  But what I'm most concerned about is why is my wired not achieving full speed when everything I know about it says it should? So frustrating.

Regardless, I just spent(wasted) an entire one of my rare days off configuring this to my liking.  I'll probably waste even more itme tomorrow finally drlling holes and mounting it to the wall finally if I've decided the location I have it is what I absolutely want.  (Center of the house, upstairs hallway). Feeling good about it now however.  Now when someone comes over, they can have blazing fast wi-fi instead of waiting for videos to buffer lol. Rare as guest may be, I feel it worth it, especially in the age a lot of stuff seems to be dropping RJ45 ports.

Hello @Mkilbride,

How are you testing the speed on the PS4?

If you want to test your local speeds use iPerf3 not tests like speedtest.net ( only messures your WAN speed  )

Regards,

Glenn R.

PS4 has a built in speed test. Though it's finnicky.

As for testing other speeds, I was using Fast.net, Speedtest and Speedofme, various ones to compare and see. I can't figure out how to use iperf 3. Pretty obtuse program.

Hello @Mkilbride,

Install iPerf3 on 2 devices, setup one as a server and let the other one connect to it.

The speedtest in the PS4 is not accurate at all.

Regards,

Glenn R.

Yeah I can't install Iperf3 on a PS4 lol.  Also seems a real pain to do so on my phone.Dunno.  Guess I just gotta live with it.

Highlighted

Hello @Mkilbride,

You could get another device ( laptop ) connected on the PS4 cable and run the tests.

Regards,

Glenn R.