Cannot keep Nano AP online - Cisco Switches

I have an open case with ubiquiti, but maybe it will go better to ask around here....

I have deployed 10 nano APs.  Deployment is on a dedicated vlan across several stacks of cisco 2960x switches.

I have 3 SSIDs, across 3 vlans.  APs have ip addresses set as static (dhcp to bring online then static assignements).

The longest "up time" I have been able to achieve is 4 days.  

I have removed all QOS and other settings from the switchports in an effort to isolate the issue.

The APs will stay online for anywhere from 1 hour to 4 days.  When they go offline the LED on the AP remains blue, the POE port is up.  Cisco shows the ports as up/up and does not show any errors in counters or in the logs.  The cable runs are certified cat6.  This occurs no matter the switch or switch ports, and the current 10 AP test is deployed across 3 floors and 5 different 2960x stacks.  

When the AP is offline, it cannot be reached by ping or any other IP protocol.  The switchport MAC address table for the interface is blank.  It is as if it is only taking power and is "frozen" with no OS responding.

The APs are all running 3.9.54.9373 with a cloudkey onsite (also static ip on same vlan as APs.

The cisco switch port configuration for each AP is identical and is very simple:

-------

switchport trunk native vlan 50
switchport trunk allowed vlan 25,50,220,222
switchport mode trunk

------

Today I "caught" an AP as it had just gone offline, I was able to ping it and SSH to it even though unifi showed it as offline.  I was able to do this for about 2 minutes before it stopped responding.  When I tried the command info, it would not return anything., the command "help" returned the command options but none worked.The only other clue I have seen is that the memory over the last few minutes goes to 100% .  I have only seen this (the memory and being able to reach the AP) once, as I am not constantly watching unifi and I think I just got lucky seeing it drop off.

Any ideas on what to try before I just take them out?  

Established Member
Kudos: 177
Solutions: 52

Re: Cannot keep Nano AP online - Cisco Switches

You didn't mention what controller version you are running. You may want to look at v.4.0.0 or v4.0.1. Understanding these are Beta, maybe try a one or two AP's. There are a bunch of fixes for the nano HD; https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-Beta-Blog/bg-p/Blog_UniFi_Beta

Kudos: 449
Solutions: 116

Open a syslog to one, have logging enabled, and run this:

tail -f /var/log/messages

See if you get something in the log next time it crashes.

I am running controller version 5.9.29.0 on the cloud key.  Are you suggesting I back it to a 4.x version?

I have setup syslog for all 10 ap.  When I see the next crash, I will grab the log file and post the last bits.

Established Member
Kudos: 463
Solutions: 80

[ Edited ]

@SSorenson wrote:

I am running controller version 5.9.29.0 on the cloud key.  Are you suggesting I back it to a 4.x version?

He's suggesting you upgrade the nanoHD to v4.x firmware.

May as well give it a try as we're all going to be on v4.x firmware soon.

Ok.  I am updating 2 to 4.0.1.9.......

Established Member
Kudos: 463
Solutions: 80

Can't hurt if you're at the stage of ripping them out anyway Man Happy

Established Member

@SSorenson wrote:

Ok.  I am updating 2 to 4.0.1.9.......

Let us know is you have better luck with stability on the HD's..

[ Edited ]

Update:

I have verified that band steering is disabled.

On my guest SSID I have disabled the "Block LAN to WLAN Multicast and Broadcast Data".

I have 2 AP running 4.0.1.9421

2 AP running 3.9.42.9152  (request from Mandy - tech support)

5 AP running 3.9.54.9373

and 

1 AP running nanoHD-lan-stuck_pasta@pasta.9476 (request from jeffreychang - UBNT support)

What could possibly go wrong?!?

All are sending syslogs and all have stayed up today.

Established Member

Interesting RE: 3.9.42.9152 as all the Nano updates in 3.42 should be in 3.54. Fingers crossed..

The AP1 running 3.9.54.93.73 dropped offline at 6-7pm on Friday.

It is showing a blue ring on it. It shows that it is taking power. There is no mac address in the table for the switchport it is on (no network L2 connectivity/activity).

Attached is the last few minutes of syslog that it produced.

I have disabled the Uplink Connectivity Monitor and enabled debug logging at the site level.

Notice the 4-5min gaps in the syslog before the unit went off-network at 18:41-18:46 and 18:46-18:51.

The same AP just restarted without warning.  Attached are the cisco switch logs (for time reference) and the debug logs.

Established Member

Have you added your logs to your ticket?

[ Edited ]

I have updated the case with the log files.   I just saw the 4.0.3.9493 beta posted.  I will put it on 2 access points.  Some of the fixes listed include "improve ethernet stability" and "fix memory leak"... I am hopeful.

I have had several more nanoAP crash.  Most just freeze, with the blue led on.  Occasionally they will just restart (after about 8-20 minutes of not passing traffic).

I have had freezing with 3.9.54.9373 and 4.0.1.9421 while 4.0.3.9493 mostly seems prone to the reboot.

I noticed after adding a few more APs that the wifi radios were sitting at auto (disabled) for long periods of time after adaption, before choosing a channel and giving access to the SSIDs. In an attempt to solve that I have built a ubuntu controller and migrated off of the cloud key.

I have asked ubiquiti to elevate the case to the next level.

Highlighted

Another nanoHD offline again this weekend.  This time it recovered itself.  There seems to be a pattern, although it still may be too early to tell:

4.0.3.9493 will hang the accesspoint for 10-20 minutes (blue light, taking power, no wired network traffic at all) and then it will reset.

3.9.54.9373  will hang the accesspoint (blue light, taking power, no wired network traffic at all) and requires a powered restart (removing POE and resetting it).

the stuck_pasta@pasta.9476 seems to be solid.  I have yet to see an AP hang while using it. (https://dl.ubnt-ut.com/albert/K-12/nanoHD-lan-fix-5.bin)

With that being said.  My longest AP uptimes - 13days and 12days are both running 3.9.54.9373