Kudos: 72
Solutions: 1

Re: Cannot log in to Cloud Key WebUI

[ Edited ]

@UBNT-Brandon wrote:
Andrew will be reaching out to try to figure out what's going on.

He did...  unfortunately, I wanted to get things rolling since I just got new hardware.   I backed up the controller on the current instance, along with all of the history.  I then reset the cloud key and set my password back to exactly what it was and restored the backup I had just made - all is well for me again...  The backup/restore process was pretty painless since the controller itself was allowing me to login and still functioning normally.

Not sure what happened - only thing  I did notice was that the timezone was incorrect.   I've seen time settings mess with encryption/SSL/etc - perhaps the upgrade process did something to reset the timezone from Eastern to Pacific which caused the UI login to fail?   it's a stretch, but it's all I got at the moment Man Wink

Thanks!

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 745
Solutions: 40
Contributions: 1

@rjnedved Thanks for updating us. Glad that did the trick. Not sure why that was necessary either. 

@justinwadejones Are you still having issues with this? Any luck in restoring a previous backup as worked for others? 

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png
Ubiquiti Networks Enterprise Support Team

Check out our ever-evolving Help Center for answers to many common questions!

Kudos: 3

Hi, 

I had the issue and, like others, I've reset the CloudKey and restored a backup.

Don't know it it has anything to do with it but, like others, my username is admin. 

Also, I have a couple of doubts with all this which are:

what went wrong?

where is the webUI password stored?

Could we have reset the webUI password without having to restore a backup?

Thanks

~/gnfpt

Emerging Member
Kudos: 50

I haven't touched mine, but if we're able to change the PW from ssh, can we create user accounts from there as well? My thought is if we can make a new user&pw then maybe we wouldnt have to restore backups.

Emerging Member
Kudos: 28

I finally decided to try the reset and restore method. I now have it working but only after two attempts. It may be of interest what did work and what did not work.

First and failed attempt was to reset and then skip the setup wizard by selecting the option to restore immediately on the first page of the wizard. This did restore the controller to the previous state. However, now my credentials didn't work neither in the WebUI nor in SSH. Maybe this is to be expected? Though it does beg the question of the usefulness of restoring this way. I wonder what credentials the WebUI and SSH have when you do this?

Second and successful attempt was to reset and complete the setup wizard (although I did skip adopting devices and setting up networks). Then I restored from the maintenance tab of the controller. Now my credentials work properly in all three places: Controller, WebUI, and SSH.

@UBNT-APieper I have not restored and that's not an option right now.  This device is remote and I'd rather not do that without physical access to it just in case.  I'd also like to know the root cause and doing a restore might not help figure that out.  Anything else I can try or provide logs?  Right now access to the admin UI of the cloud key isnt a big deal since the actual controller still works fine and I can SSH to the cloud key as a last resort.  Thanks.

Emerging Member
Kudos: 50

Bump, What can we do here?

Ubiquiti Employee

@unwantedsn Can you send me your cloudkey log files?  /usr/lib/unifi/logs/ Send them to me when you are able. I will reach out via pm. 

@justinwadejones Likewise if you could send me your logs that would be great. 

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png

Having this issue as well on 2 of my 3 CloudKeys, all running 5.3.8-8920, and all frequently updated. Able to log via ssh but not web U/I. UniFi controller fine in all 3 cases. 

Ubiquiti Employee

Found a fix for this issue in one case- right now am having another user with the WebUI issue to try to verify the fix works there as well. Once I get confirmation I will post resolution here. Thanks all for your patience. 

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png

Ubiquiti Employee

For anyone who's encountering difficulties logging in on WebUI in both cases we have worked with the resolution has been the same. The issue appears to be arising from incorrect SUID account privileges on the UCK system. This can be confirmed by sshing into the CloudKey and running the following command:

ls -l /usr/bin/sudo

This should return output similar or identical to the following if the same root cause: 

-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 106820 Jan 10 2016 /usr/bin/sudo

To resolve this and ensure that any suid issues are not causing the issue, run the following command: 

chmod u+s /usr/bin/sudo 

Re-test logging in to the WebUI and confirm the issue is resolved. 

We are still investigating the root cause of why this issue was encountered by some. 

@jba256 Can I get you to run this on your Cloud Keys? Can you confirm this resolves it? 

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png

Emerging Member
Kudos: 28

I am getting the following:

-rwsr-xr-x 1 root root 106820 Jan 11  2016 /usr/bin/sudo

Does that look right? Note, this is after I have resolved the problem by resetting and restoring.

Ubiquiti Employee

@pervel Yes that should be the output if configured properly. 

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png

Established Member
Kudos: 461
Solutions: 48

@UBNT-APieper wrote:

For anyone who's encountering difficulties logging in on WebUI in both cases we have worked with the resolution has been the same. The issue appears to be arising from incorrect SUID account privileges on the UCK system. This can be confirmed by sshing into the CloudKey and running the following command:

ls -l /usr/bin/sudo

This should return output similar or identical to the following if the same root cause: 

To resolve this and ensure that any suid issues are not causing the issue, run the following command: 

chmod u+s /usr/bin/sudo 

We are still investigating the root cause of why this issue was encountered by some. 

@jba256 Can I get you to run this on your Cloud Keys? Can you confirm this resolves it? 

Yes! This worked for me.

Thank you!!!

Ubiquiti Employee

@phk46 Thanks for confirmation. Will go ahead and accept this as solution to help steer others in the right direction. Appreciate everyones input and follow up on this issue! Man Happy

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png

Kudos: 20

@UBNT-APieper wrote:

This can be confirmed by sshing into the CloudKey and running the following command:

ls -l /usr/bin/sudo

chmod u+s /usr/bin/sudo 

Thanks. This helped me to resolve this issue.

Deleted Account

[ Edited ]

WebUI login is fixed thanks to the permissions change command listed earlier in the thread. The latest firmware update was when it stopped working.

MacbookPro:~ russell$ ssh admin@192.168.1.2
admin@192.168.1.2's password: 
Last login: Sat Jan 28 15:49:38 2017 root@UniFi-CloudKey:~# ls -l /usr/bin/sudo -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 106820 Jan 10 2016 /usr/bin/sudo root@UniFi-CloudKey:~# chmod u+s /usr/bin/sudo root@UniFi-CloudKey:~# ls -l /usr/bin/sudo -rwsr-xr-x 1 root root 106820 Jan 10 2016 /usr/bin/sudo

Thank You!!!
Now I'm able to login to the GUI again!

Hasn't worked for me. I tried this and my webui still won't come up. I manually upgraded controller to 5.4.11 first as well...

root@UniFi-CloudKey:/tmp# dpkg -i unifi_sysvinit_all.deb
(Reading database ... 15647 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack unifi_sysvinit_all.deb ...
Unpacking unifi (5.4.11-9184) over (5.4.9-9150) ...
Setting up unifi (5.4.11-9184) ...
Processing triggers for systemd (215-17+deb8u6) ...
root@UniFi-CloudKey:/tmp# rm unifi_sysvinit_all.deb

Last login: Mon Feb 20 16:47:49 2017
root@UniFi-CloudKey:~# ls -l /usr/bin/sudo
-rwsr-xr-x 1 root root 106820 Jan 10 2016 /usr/bin/sudo
root@UniFi-CloudKey:~# chmod u+s /usr/bin/sudo
root@UniFi-CloudKey:~# ls -l /usr/bin/sudo
-rwsr-xr-x 1 root root 106820 Jan 10 2016 /usr/bin/sudo

The following worked for me which I copied the entire post:

Options
‎01-19-2017 07:21 AM

ls -l /usr/bin/sudo

chmod u+s /usr/bin/sudo

@jba256 Can I get you to run this on your Cloud Keys? Can you confirm this resolves it?

Just those two commands in the above post worked for me.  I even did this ssh with Attachmate Reflection app on my iPad, and after logging in, I merely copied and pasted the two commands. I then typed in exit to gracefully exit the ssh session. I was then able to log into the GUI manage key app.