Cant connect more than 11 devices

I recently bought the UniFi AP AC LR device to fix my current ISP's crappy WiFi connectivity issues. I have roughly 2 iphones, 2 tablets, 1 PC, 6 Amazon Echo devices, 3 Nest cameras, copuple apple tv's, and an Ecobee that I need connected.

Setup was awesome, Wifi strength was very decent compared to what I was getting wity Cogeco (Canada here), problem is, after 10 or 11 devices/clients connected, nothing else will connect. The error I am gettign back from Nest is "This error means your router couldn’t assign a network address to your camera. A few different router settings could cause this to happen."

Being VERY new and not very knowledgable with this UniFi device, im lost.

Please help.

Kudos: 1631
Solutions: 493

Re: Cant connect more than 11 devices

Hello @connorslack,

Welcome to the community!

What are you using for DHCP?

Could you post your system config?

Settings > Maintenance > Support Info > Show System Config

Regards,

Glenn R.

Cloud Hosted Controllers | Glenn R. | UniFi Installation/Easy Update Scripts | UniFi-Video Installation/Easy Update Scripts | UniFi-VoIP Installation Scripts
USG-4-PRO • USG
USW-48-500W • USW-24-POE-250W 2x • USW-16-POE-150W • USW-24 • USW-8-150W • USW-8
UAP XG • UAP-SHD • UAP-HD • UAP-NanoHD • UAP-AC-PRO 2x • UAP-AC-LITE • UAP-AC-IW • UAP-AC-M
UCK-G2 • UCK

Thank you!

I will post the config as soon as I am back home, sorry at work.

[ Edited ]

See atatched.

what is odd is when i came home, my ipad and iphone wouldnt connect (took them to work with me) when last night they previously connected fine. However other devices last night that would not connect, oddly were connected.

Also, right now is says NO clinets are connected, while I know for a fact more than 5 are, also the Devices Tab shows "adoption failed", but i just checked a device and its on wifi, working just fine.

WHat have I dont wrong?

sysconfig.JPG

Perhaps your router is the problem (its not handing out ip address via DHCP), not the UAP?

Yesterday it was just fine though, I could see 10 devices

Hello @connorslack,

The UAP is disconnected? Please SSH into it and set-inform to the controller.

When it’s back connected upgrade the UAP to 3.9.54 and than to 4.0.9

Devices > UAP > Config > Manage Device > Custom Upgrade ( paste the firmware binary location here )

Please use the following Radio Settings

Devices > UAP > Config > Radios

2.4 GHz

Channel width: HT20

Chanel: 1/6/11 | Choose one of these channels, a RF scan will help you choose the most clean one.

Transmit Power: Low/Medium

5GHz

Channel width: VHT40 | Optional VHT80 might decrease wireless stability

Chanel: 36/44 | Optional (149/157) Choose one of these channels, a RF scan will help you choose the most clean one. Avoid using DFS Channels

Transmit Power: Medium/High

You could also modify your DTIM Periods if you have more modern devices on the network.

Settings > Wireless Network > SSID > 802.11 Rate And Beacon Controls

DITM 2G Period: 3

DITM 5G Period: 3

Regards,

Glenn R.

Cloud Hosted Controllers | Glenn R. | UniFi Installation/Easy Update Scripts | UniFi-Video Installation/Easy Update Scripts | UniFi-VoIP Installation Scripts
USG-4-PRO • USG
USW-48-500W • USW-24-POE-250W 2x • USW-16-POE-150W • USW-24 • USW-8-150W • USW-8
UAP XG • UAP-SHD • UAP-HD • UAP-NanoHD • UAP-AC-PRO 2x • UAP-AC-LITE • UAP-AC-IW • UAP-AC-M
UCK-G2 • UCK
Emerging Member
Kudos: 10
Solutions: 1

@chrisfreeman99 is correct here, it sounds like your router is out of DHCP addresses. Your AP is also likely showing offline because it does not have a valid IP address. Please log into your router and expand the pool so your devices come back online. Once your AP is online, follow the advice of @AmazedMender16 and optimize your settings.

I think you’re correct, called my ISP and they said the modem is setup for 10 dynamic ip’s, which they update to 50 once their system is back up, my luck

Hello @connorslack,

You're talking about the DHCP pool right?

Never seen a ISP limit the DHCP pool to 10 devices.

Regards,

Glenn R.

USG-4-PRO • USG
UCK-G2 • UCK

TBH I’m not entirely sure, I explained what was happeneing and asked about DHCP and they said “10 ip’s”

ill be perfectly honest in saying that Cogeco, the ISP really has no idea what they are doing. This whole scenario came about because the modem they gave me is on Docsis 3.1 infrastructure, which they can’t seem to get working properly and my wifi was non existent. Someone suggested this AP and I jumped on it for a quick resolution

[ Edited ]

Hello @connorslack,

Sounds really strange....

Please keep me posted on this!

You don't have access to the modem yourself to edit the DHCP pool?

Regards,

Glenn R.

USG-4-PRO • USG
UCK-G2 • UCK
Emerging Member
Kudos: 10

@connorslack Chances are you can update your DHCP pool yourself. Log into your router via it's default credentials and browse to the DHCP configuration and increase the pool size. The IP for your router is going to be the same IP as your default gateway when running the command "ipconfig"

If it's really your ISP limiting your DHCP range, (or the HW provided), you should really consider creating an inside network, with your own router.
You could use your ISP stuff as a simple modem, and have your own rules inside your home.
I have that since ages, and I've change providers a few times without having to reconnect/reconfigure everything. You'll then own your router, DHCP, WLAN, and not be limited anymore.
Kudos: 74
Solutions: 25

Strange they would limit you to 10 devices in DHCP pool and then change to 50.

Just out of interest what is the first part of the IP addresses your devices have?

No need to post all of it, just the 1st 2 parts, eg 192.168.xxx.xxx or 100.23.xxx.xxx?

The 10 devices limitation could just be a preset, not a limitation. Most boxes come with presets that are implemented to suit most of the users, it may be just that.

In my ISP box, my DHCP range is set up for 100 devices, but nothing is hardcoded, the settings are totally changeable.

The client service offering to change the DHCP for 50 devices could just be a simple way to help him configure the box.

All of them are 192.168.0.### where ### ranges from 5 - 230, all random. Around 22 connected devices

Ive been able to get in the modem and cant find how to increase teh DHCP pool size, theres no box for that, Cogeco also reset my modem though so now im NOT in Bridge mode anymore and am not using the AP.

Emerging Member
Kudos: 12

I would look into getting an unifi security gateway (USG) and just put your current modem/router into bridge mode.

N-Ware PC & Networking Services

Just an update, i decided to reset my ISP modem, log into it (they were giving me the incorrect passwords) diasble wifi myself and NOT have them bridge it. I then reset my AP, deleted my Wireless Network, FOrgot AP device, and redid everything with the original SSID and PASSWORDS from initial setup and everything in my house, including the ones i initally couldnt set up, connected fine!

Thanks everyone for the help , much appreciated!

I did have one question, Before I reset the AP, I noticed I had two Wireless Networks, and now I only have 1. Is that ok?

I did notice that my current setup has 6 devices on 2.4 band and 10 on the 5 band, so my theory of needed two wireless networks, one for each band, is false, right?