Kudos: 6

Captive Portal Broken after 5.8.30

Hello everyone, i have a little problem.

I am runngin 7 sites each with its own CK. The problem is that our free custumers Wifi is "broken" after i updated all controllers to 5.8.30.

When you log in to the open Wifi where the captive portal is and write your password (simple password) the page is just Waiting, and waiting, and waiting, until it times out. (it turns out that in unifi you DO get authorized, but client is not being redirected og promped with a, " success" message. 

I see on the edgerouter that after you get autorized the firewall is blocking acces to the CK. and here is where the weird thing comes.  If i turn off the firewall completly (just to eliminate FW config problems) after you get authorized you just get an errow message saying cannot connect to the service, so this cannot be the firewall blocking the CK (deleted all entries under the post adn pre authorization under captive portal settings)

The other thing is that everything have been working perfectly until people have been complaning that the free wifi is not working anymore this last week (after 5.8.30 update)

Any help please ? 

How can i open a ticket with support ? 

thanks a lot Man Happy

Kudos: 4117
Solutions: 1059

Re: Captive Portal Broken after 5.8.30

Hello @julio_dahle,

Do you have screenshots of the errors?

I cannot replicate this in my network (full unifi)

Regards,

Glenn R.

Cloud Hosted Controllers | Glenn R. | UniFi Installation/Easy Update Scripts | UniFi-Video Installation Scripts | UniFi-VoIP Installation Scripts
USG-XG-8 • USG-4-PRO • USG
US-XG-16 • US-48-500W • US-24-POE-250W 2x • US-16-POE-150W 3x • US-24 • US-8-150W • US-8
UAP XG • UAP-SHD • UAP-HD • UAP-NanoHD 2x • UAP-AC-PRO 2x • UAP-AC-LITE • UAP-AC-IW • UAP-AC-M • UAP-AC-M-PRO 2x
UAS-XG • UCK-G2-PLUS • UCK-G2 • UCK
Veteran Member
Kudos: 1345
Solutions: 234

@julio_dahle Strange that this happens after the update. I suggest you always add the IP address of the controller (with the /32 suffix for CIDR notation) to the pre-auth access list in your Guest Control settings.

If that doesn’t help please share a sanitized screenshot of these Guest Control settings together with firmware version installed on the APs.

Art of WiFi
Check out our UniFi API browser tool on GitHub. The PHP API client which it uses, can be found here on GitHub.
The thread on our UniFi Device Search tool can be found here, also check out our Captive Portal solutions for UniFi.

[ Edited ]

Thanks for quick share. this a shot from my iphone with  all firewall off and captive portal post auth. settings off . 

I worth to mention that guest wifi is on vlan 20 and CK is on main LAN (id1) . its very clear that guest can acces captive portal across networks eitherway the portal would never even show up. the problem is the "redirection" after authorization. 

With the firewall on, after the authorization it pretty much just loads loads loads, until it times out.

(phone language is norwegian. but it pretty much says "it cannot open the site,cannot connect to service") 

IMG_1449.png

Skjermbilde 2018-09-22 kl. 16.01.15.png

Skjermbilde 2018-09-22 kl. 16.05.23.png

Veteran Member

@julio_dahle you are accessing the captive portal through it’s FQDN which is good. I suggest you also add the public IP address the FQDN resolves to to the pre-auth access list (with the /32 suffix).

Art of WiFi
Check out our UniFi API browser tool on GitHub. The PHP API client which it uses, can be found here on GitHub.
The thread on our UniFi Device Search tool can be found here, also check out our Captive Portal solutions for UniFi.

Hello, the CK is lcoal so i have added a dns entry in my dns server.

Like i mention before, this was all working perfectly until this week . 

Kudos: 1

It seems in the new version the controller that either the AP or the Controller is slower to recognize authorized clients.  It only seems to happen after the controller has been running for an extended period of time.

I was able to work around this by having the controller restart nightly.  Try restarting the controller and seeing if that resolves the issue.

Hmmmm. i think i found some explaination, its pretty much what you say;

In the redirection section i have changed "noting" to https://www.google.no and then it works.

Client conects, types password, some loading happens (not normal fast like before) and you get redirected. Perfect !

Now, i changed back to nothing and nothing. You conect, authorized and just loadin loading loading and eventually it times out and the phone or pc disconects from wifi and gives you error. then if you connect back i have acces. so it seems like the "landing page" where it says "Succes" is missing from the CK or somehting like that . that why its not working. 

Now i will try the trick of restating the CK to see how fast the redirection to google.com it happen. 

There is FOR SURE something wrong with this version of the controller and i regret soooo much that i have upgraded 7 of our stores. Leasson learned, i will never again upgrade without testing at the test set up first!

Now i have many messages a day saying that our internett is not working. 

How can we get some answer from ubiquity ? its been many days and no member have comented anything. i can impossible be the only one runnig captive portal ? 

Thanks a lot everybody for help. you guys are amazing !

Veteran Member

@julio_dahle The “redirect using hostname” field is meant to be used to enter the hostname of the controller, not your promotional URL.

Art of WiFi

Hello again, sorry i think i just mixed up. yes of course i ment the promotional side. when you have selected redirect to original site. it will either send you to where you came from or to a blank site withe the word "success" .

this is not happening . it just loads forever now.  

I have just tired this .

1.  connect my iphone to the guest network. authorize. it take veeeery long time to get redirected to google.com. 

2. unauthorized, deleted conection to wifi on iphone, checked that iam not authorized.

3. restarted the controller. waited a few min so unifi is up and running. 

4. conected to free wifi again and boom. almost inmidiate redirection to google.com after i press conect.

So its quite sure there is something going on here with the redirection or the website or "blank site" that says success when you have nothing onder promotional site. 

How did you manage to get the cloud key to restart everynight ?  are you not affraid to get corrupted database ? 

i have lost unifi 3 times in the past months after upgrade or restart. 

Will the new CK (in beta store) have some fix for this problem?

Thanks again.

Kudos: 1

I'm running the controller in debian 9.  I have it preforming a service restart using crontab.   You might be able to do something similar with the cloud key.   

A service restart is graceful, it should not corrupt the database.

Hello again, have anyone seen more about this ? it cannot be just a few of us with this problem ? The stupid captive portal is completly broken. (at least what happens after you get authorized) 

Thanks Man Happy

Veteran Member

@julio_dahle wrote:

Hello again, have anyone seen more about this ? it cannot be just a few of us with this problem ? The stupid captive portal is completly broken. (at least what happens after you get authorized) 

Thanks Man Happy

@julio_dahle Can you share a (santized) screenshot of all your guest control settings please? I’m a bit confused as to what they all actually are in your case.

Art of WiFi