Highlighted
Kudos: 22

Changing controller IP

I need to change the IP address of my UniFi controller. What's the recommended way to do this without having to redo the discover utility on APs that don't have L2 connectivity to the AP, and no DHCP option 43 or DNS based provisioning?
Emerging Member
Kudos: 15

Re: Changing controller IP

I need to change the IP address of my UniFi controller. What's the recommended way to do this without having to redo the discover utility on APs that don't have L2 connectivity to the AP, and no DHCP option 43 or DNS based provisioning?

For my initial manual configuration, I set my controller with two addresses - one on the default subnet and one on my desired subnet. It seems you could do the same in this situation.

- Eric
Kudos: 47

mca-cli
# the CLI interface:
set-inform ip-of-controller:8080/inform

the ip-of-controller is replaced with the new IP
Kudos: 314
Solutions: 1

if your controller has "unifi" as name , you can change the IP of the controller without any problem.
On the first installation, how did you do to have uap connected to the controller?
You change the inform address in each uap or it worked without change?
Kudos: 47

if your controller has "unifi" as name , you can change the IP of the controller without any problem.
On the first installation, how did you do to have uap connected to the controller?
You change the inform address in each uap or it worked without change?

Huh...
If you use layer 3 DNS discovery, you should be able to change the A record at any time.

If you use layer 2, the AP records the controller's IP and sends data there. I think there is a "managed by others" status that will allow you to steel an AP.

If you are layer 3 without DHCP or DNS options, the only way to migrate controllers is to actually change the inform address.

It sounds like the OP traveled to each layer 3 network and used the unifi discover tool. That tool does a layer 2 discovery and runs set-inform for you.
Kudos: 314
Solutions: 1

the default inform address in uaps is unifi:8080/inform.
So when your controller is configured with "unifi" has name machine, the uap found it.
I done it on my installation and it worked.

It's the local dns server that done the name resolution after getting informations from the dhcp server (the controller take its IP from the dhcp server).
In this case, you can change the IP address has many times as you want (just need to refresh the DHCP lease).
All gateway do that I think.

It's more simple than configure a real DNS server with the A record or install a complex dhcp server.
Kudos: 22

Thank you for the input.
Kudos: 1

Please noted the set-inform host should be prefixed with http://

mca-cli
# the CLI interface:
set-inform http://ip-of-controller:8080/inform