Upcoming Maintenance Alert:

The UBNT Community will be upgraded at 5pm MDT on April 25th. During this time the community forums will be set to read-only status.

Learn more

Kudos: 18

Channels optimization: our approach and contribute.

Tired of channels overlapping and DFS jumps we change our channels optimizations strategy.

We adopt a mathematical approach using graph theory.

Our approach.

• Reduce power trasmission on every AP so area overlapping is minimum.
  • Put Unifi controller in debug mode, so generate a more verbose log.
  • Using unifi controller api and server.log create two graph, one for 2g and one for 5g:
    • every AP is a node
    • when there is an area overlapping from AP1 and AP2 then there is an edge from node AP1 and node AP2 in graph
  • Compile a simple ini file contains preferred channels (e.g. 2g=1,6,11)
  • Using graph teoring coloring graph in according channels overlapping constraints (and DFS constraints). (Take a look at: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graph_coloring)
  • Using open source software gephi see graphs and change channels in Unifi controller according.

You can use our script here:

https://bitbucket.org/vittorezen/wireless_planner/overview

v.

Established Member
Kudos: 165
Solutions: 27

Re: Channels optimization: our approach and contribute.

If you reduce the power so the overlapping is minimum won't users standing directly between the two access points get bad speed? I usually plan a lot of overlap so you get flawless speeds no matter your distance from any specific access point.

main_floor_wifi.png

I generally disable 2.4 ghz on all the access points or leave it enabled on just a few of them.

-Jamie M.

Kudos: 86
Solutions: 2

this sounds intereting. especialy the next gen version.

do you also take into account neighboring access points? in my home installation with 6 aps in 3 floors and the garden i have 50-60 neighboring aps visible but not all of them on all stories. 

[ Edited ]

@toysareforboys Adjacent channel congestion is the worst type of WiFi interference. To illustrate, think about being at a concert – there's a band playing really loud, and tons of people, each with their own group of friends. With this much going on, it's difficult to talk to your friends, and when you start to talk louder, the person next to you has to raise his voice to talk to their group. You're hearing multiple conversations happening, as well as music from the band, and it seems impossible to communicate.

See http://www.metageek.com/training/resources/adjacent-channel-congestion.html for more details.

v.

Highlighted
Established Member
Kudos: 165
Solutions: 27

[ Edited ]

drzen wrote:

@toysareforboys Adjacent channel congestion is the worst type of WiFi interference. ... 

See http://www.metageek.com/training/resources/adjacent-channel-congestion.html for more details.

I've never ever had any adjacent channel congestion (that was under my control at least). Always co-channel congestion Man Happy

-Jamie M.

Kudos: 4

Interesting script to do some channel utilization analysis.

Could be very useful to have some visualization like that in the Insights page of the controller Man Happy

New software version set channels in unifi controller.

Each node is an AP.

If an AP see other AP than an edge is draw.

Before: Graph example

After: Graph example

Before: Graph example

After: Graph example

Great work! I'd like to see it implemented in the next release!
Kudos: 78
Solutions: 2

@UBNT-Brandon Very interesting work, it seems that Unifi Controller could have some thing like this too. Suggesting channels to use in deployment.