Accepted Solution

Client losing VPN connection when connected to UAP AC LITE

Hi Guys,
I've got a strange problem which I can’t get my finger on.

When I use my work laptop and connect via VPN to a customer site I keep losing the VPN connection. I see a drops in the ping to the client site. When I do a simultaneous ping to Google DNS 8.8.8.8, it stays up. The customer host FQDN name is resolved to an IP v6 address. VPN will reconnect after a while. But the drops are unworkable. Mainly RDP connections. Multiple (all) client sites.

When I enable my radio’s on my old access point and connect to it, the VPN connection is stable with zero drops.

I’ve chatted with support for over an hour with no result.

My network setup is simple.

Fiber 300/300 coming into my home to a TP-LINK AP (TL-WDR4300) from there a UTP (with the PoE injector) is going to the Unifi AP. I have disabled the Uplink Connectivity Monitor with no success.
Radio’s on the TP-LINK AP are disabled.

Some additional information:
UAP AC LITE: 3.9.54.9373 (up-to-date)
Palo Alto GlobalProtect client: 4.1.7-18 (up-to-date)
Laptop: Dell Latitude 5580
Unify setup is mostly default/auto

Similair posts:

https://community.ubnt.com/t5/EdgeRouter/work-VPN-changed-to-PaloAlto-recurring-drops/td-p/2451015

https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-Wireless/All-clients-randomly-keep-disconnecting-reconnecting-fr...

Accepted Solutions
Kudos: 1672
Solutions: 506

Re: Client losing VPN connection when connected to UAP AC LITE

Hello @subsense,

Welcome to the community!

Could you upgrade the UAP to 4.0.9?

Devices > UAP > Config > Manage Device > Custom Upgrade

Make sure the Uplink Connectivity Monitor is disabled if you don't use wireless uplinks

Settings > Site > Uplink Connectivity Monitor

Could you also apply the following Radio Settings?

Devices > UAP > Config > Radios

2.4 GHz

Channel width: HT20

Chanel: 1/6/11 | Choose one of these channels, a RF scan will help you choose the most clean one.

Transmit Power: Low/Medium

5GHz

Channel width: VHT40 | Optional VHT80 might decrease wireless stability

Chanel: 36/44 | Optional (149/157) Choose one of these channels, a RF scan will help you choose the most clean one. Avoid using DFS Channels

Transmit Power: Medium/High

Regards,

Glenn R.

Cloud Hosted Controllers | Glenn R. | UniFi Installation/Easy Update Scripts | UniFi-Video Installation/Easy Update Scripts | UniFi-VoIP Installation Scripts
USG-4-PRO • USG
USW-48-500W • USW-24-POE-250W 2x • USW-16-POE-150W • USW-24 • USW-8-150W • USW-8
UAP XG • UAP-SHD • UAP-HD • UAP-NanoHD • UAP-AC-PRO 2x • UAP-AC-LITE • UAP-AC-IW • UAP-AC-M
UCK-G2 • UCK

View solution in original post

All Replies

Hello @subsense,

Welcome to the community!

Could you upgrade the UAP to 4.0.9?

Devices > UAP > Config > Manage Device > Custom Upgrade

Make sure the Uplink Connectivity Monitor is disabled if you don't use wireless uplinks

Settings > Site > Uplink Connectivity Monitor

Could you also apply the following Radio Settings?

Devices > UAP > Config > Radios

2.4 GHz

Chanel: 1/6/11 | Choose one of these channels, a RF scan will help you choose the most clean one.

5GHz

Chanel: 36/44 | Optional (149/157) Choose one of these channels, a RF scan will help you choose the most clean one. Avoid using DFS Channels

Regards,

Glenn R.

Cloud Hosted Controllers | Glenn R. | UniFi Installation/Easy Update Scripts | UniFi-Video Installation/Easy Update Scripts | UniFi-VoIP Installation Scripts
USG-4-PRO • USG
USW-48-500W • USW-24-POE-250W 2x • USW-16-POE-150W • USW-24 • USW-8-150W • USW-8
UAP XG • UAP-SHD • UAP-HD • UAP-NanoHD • UAP-AC-PRO 2x • UAP-AC-LITE • UAP-AC-IW • UAP-AC-M
UCK-G2 • UCK

Some positive results with a new UAP AC LITE, Firmware version 3.7.58.6385 No issues. So it seems to be firmware or hardware related.

Hello @subsense,

Have you tried the newer firmware that I listed above?

Regards,

Glenn R.

USG-4-PRO • USG
UCK-G2 • UCK

[ Edited ]

@AmazedMender16 not yet, I'm glad I have a stable connection now. Tonight is "Sinterklaas" here in holland. A old guy + some black dudes who bring presents for the kids, so no time.

Hello @subsense,

I'm aware of sinterklaas Man Tongue I'm sadly also dutch Hurray

Have fun with the family!

Regards,

Glenn R.

USG-4-PRO • USG
UCK-G2 • UCK

Hello @AmazedMender16 I've installed the firmware you mentioned, and so far the connection seems stable. Also disabled the Uplink Connectivity Monitor, the radios al still default (auto channel). Let test some further Thanks for you advise.

Hello @subsense,

Awesome, sounds good!

I highly recommend gettings of the AUTO channels though.

Please keep me posted!

Regards,

Glenn R.

USG-4-PRO • USG
UCK-G2 • UCK

[ Edited ]

Okay @AmazedMender16, which channels do you recommend when using 2 AP's? Then I'll change them. (All 5 Ghz channels are free here)

[ Edited ]

Hello @subsense,

I posted it in one of my other posts, but these: ( different channels on each UAP. )

2.4 GHz

5GHz

Regards,

Glenn R.

USG-4-PRO • USG
UCK-G2 • UCK

I know you posted it before, but I thought the earlier post was for just 1 AP ;-) Thanks again. You helped me a lot!

Highlighted

Hello @subsense,

No problem, love helping out the community! Ubnt Banana

The recommendations include multiple channels Man Happy

Regards,

Glenn R.

USG-4-PRO • USG
UCK-G2 • UCK