Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Client picking wrong AP

I have a USG, UAP-AC-LR and UAP-AC-Pro. The Pro is downstairs in one corner of the house. The LR is upstairs in the middle. Both APs are configured to use the same SSID, with different non-overlapping channels.

I have a desktop computer client that doesn't move, upstairs, a few feet from the LR (but not direct line of sight).

If this client connects to the LR, performance is great as expected. But it frequently connects to the Pro with miserable signal level, and performance is can be 1000 times worse or not work at all, with Windows claiming there is no internet connectivity over the connection.

It's possible that when this happens, all active wireless clients are upstairs, and there are eg. 7 clients connected to the LR, and 0 to the Pro. Is the additional client picking the Pro because the LR was "full"?

Is there a way to force a client to only connect to a particular AP? Or any other setting I can change somewhere to encourage the desired behavior? Force clients off if they have poor signal?

Accepted Solutions
Veteran Member
Kudos: 1280
Solutions: 208

Re: Client picking wrong AP

[ Edited ]

Is this about 2G or 5G?

No, the LR was very unlikely "full". The reasons is probably the "no line of sight".

There is a simple solution: Create an additional SSID that exists only on the LR and have the PC connect to it.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Kudos: 37
Solutions: 4

If you enabled Advanced Features you can try setting a minRSSI level to try and streer the device to connect to a stronger AP - in the end though the device is the one that selects where it connects so have to be careful not to cause issues for other devices if the levels are not set correctly.

Kudos: 4057
Solutions: 1044

Hello @senduran,

Welcome to the community!

What IP address does the client get?

Could you post your system config?

Settings > Maintenance > Support Info > Show System Config

Regards,

Glenn R.

Cloud Hosted Controllers | Glenn R. | UniFi Installation/Easy Update Scripts | UniFi-Video Installation Scripts | UniFi-VoIP Installation Scripts
USG-XG-8 • USG-4-PRO • USG
US-XG-16 • US-48-500W • US-24-POE-250W 2x • US-16-POE-150W 3x • US-24 • US-8-150W • US-8
UAP XG • UAP-SHD • UAP-HD • UAP-NanoHD 2x • UAP-AC-PRO 2x • UAP-AC-LITE • UAP-AC-IW • UAP-AC-M • UAP-AC-M-PRO 2x
UAS-XG • UCK-G2-PLUS • UCK-G2 • UCK
Veteran Member
Kudos: 1280
Solutions: 208

[ Edited ]

Is this about 2G or 5G?

No, the LR was very unlikely "full". The reasons is probably the "no line of sight".

There is a simple solution: Create an additional SSID that exists only on the LR and have the PC connect to it.

Kudos: 56
Solutions: 25

If the desktop is that close to the AP, why not swap the location of the AC-PRO and AC-LR, then hardwire the second port of the AC-PRO to the desktop?

Established Member
Kudos: 469
Solutions: 148

If the AP power is set too high, the desktop may be selecting the more distant AP because it offers better throughput. It's like someone shouting in your ear - you have a high "signal strength" but you don't necessarily hear them clearly with all the distortion.

Try reducing AP power and seeing if that helps.

5G. Well, the Pro downstairs is even less line of sight.

Thanks, didn't realise you could have 2 SSIDs. I made one only on the LR, didn't broadcast the SSID, and connected the PC to it. I think this is guaranteed to work now.

Where do I find those Advanced Features?

Hello @senduran,

If that works for you.. I personally would recommend tuning the Radio Settings..

Devices > UAP > Config > Radios

2.4 GHz

Channel width: HT20

Chanel: 1/6/11 | Choose one of these channels, a RF scan will help you choose the most clean one.

Transmit Power: Low ( Medium )

5GHz

Channel width: VHT40 | Optional VHT80/VHT160 might decrease wireless stability

Chanel: 36/44 | Optional (149/157) Choose one of these channels, a RF scan will help you choose the most clean one. Avoid using DFS Channels

Transmit Power: Medium ( High )

Regards,

Glenn R.

Cloud Hosted Controllers | Glenn R. | UniFi Installation/Easy Update Scripts | UniFi-Video Installation Scripts | UniFi-VoIP Installation Scripts
US-XG-16 • US-48-500W • US-24-POE-250W 2x • US-16-POE-150W 3x • US-24 • US-8-150W • US-8
UAP XG • UAP-SHD • UAP-HD • UAP-NanoHD 2x • UAP-AC-PRO 2x • UAP-AC-LITE • UAP-AC-IW • UAP-AC-M • UAP-AC-M-PRO 2x

Hello @senduran,

You can enable Advanced Features in the settings

Settings > Site > Advanced Features

Regards,

Glenn R.

Client gets some IP via DHCP. I could tell which AP it was connected to based on the channel reported by Windows.

System config (after implementing ub40's fix): systemConfig.png

systemConfig.png

The desktop is on wifi because I don't want to run cable to it.

Hello @senduran,

Disable the Uplink Connectivity Monitor

Settings > Site > Uplink Connectivity Monitor

Also take a look at my previous posts.

Regards,

Glenn R.

Power of both APs currently set to Auto. While I have a fix already, for other clients, is it generally a good idea to set the Pro to low power?

Hello @senduran,

You don’t want to use AUTO settings, I recommend the Radio Settings from my previous post!

Regards,

Glenn R.

Thanks for your replies @AmazedMender16 . I changed my power settings and the uplink monitoring per your suggestion. But I'm hesitant to change the channels. I arrived at those following an RF scan, and wanting the 2APs to be as non-overlapping as possible. Assuming no interference anywhere, how would you configure 2 APs that are in the same small house?

I had a problem when my new Upstairs SSID was hidden: Windows would just randomly disconnect after a while, and not let me reconnect. I broadcast it and its OK for now. This could be due to me changing settings while testing, or bad behaviour of my cheap USB wireless adaptor, or something on the Unifi side...

Hello @senduran,

Use non overlapping channels ( one of the channels I listed above Man Happy )

Regards,

Glenn R.