Kudos: 1

Cloud Key Firmware Update - How long does it take?

I started applying a firmware update to a new UC-CK CloudKey from the UniFi Controller site's Settings > Maintenance area about 1.5 hours ago, from firmware version UCK.mtk7623.v0.4.3.57ea56e.160201.1614 to UCK.mtk7623.v0.5.9.6794855.161129.1409. The status has gone from Downloading, to Checking, and now Restarting, for about an hour. The Cloud Key LED is cycling through flashing white and alternating blue/white.

Is this normal?

The Cloud Key Controller current version is 5.4.9-9150

UniFi.PNG
Veteran Member
Kudos: 1219
Solutions: 99

Re: Cloud Key Firmware Update - How long does it take?

[ Edited ]

@Concept2

Not normal.  Seems like the update has failed and the CK maybe full.

Can you run these two commands on CK, reboot and try upgrading again?

apt-get update ; apt-get install aufs-tools
/sbin/auplink / flush

There is a bug which the 0.5.9 fixes in terms of the psudo links do it wll flush them automatically.  The commands above does it manually.

Kudos: 45
Solutions: 14

My updates of several cloud keys from the original firmware to various firmwares up to 0.5.9 have generally taken between 5 to 10 minutes or less to come back online.  I have not tried it with any controllers past 5.3.8, as there have been several issues being reported with the newer versions.

KuoH

Bummer. How do I go about running those commands on it? I just hooked this up today and haven't had time to dig into anything other than what's in the GUI.

Veteran Member

@Concept2

You need to log into it using SSH.

[ Edited ]

Alright. So back at the office this morning and the CK was still cycling through flashing white and alternating blue/white. I couldn't ping the IP let alone SSH, so I power cycled it. The LED status light now fades white and flashes white. I still cannot ping it.

I am able to get into recovery mode, oddly the firmware version is now "unknown". Now I can ping, but I can't SSH (I get the message "network error: connection refused").

Resetting to factory defaults and then rebooting is giving me the same result - the CK LED just flashes/fades white and never comes online.

Veteran Member

[ Edited ]

@Concept2

I think you can still SSH white it still flashes white.

When I had a similar issue and throught it was dead,I was still able to get to the CK's controller home screen page.  The only thing that was off was the controller version as it was undefined.

CK.PNG

Could also try the recovery mode again and point it to the firmware too.

Unfortuately, not looking so good. I can't SSH when in recovery mode or when the device is initializing. The CK never appears discoverable or online, even from a Unifi Controller installed on a spare PC on the same VLAN.

I started a chat with support and they suggested emergency recovery, reset, reboot, and reload firmware. I tried all of these, including the latest firmware and the version that was originally loaded. Both firmware uploads say to "choose firmware appropriate for this device". The other suggestion is to process an RMA.

Ironically this same series of events happened with the first CK I ordered three weeks ago, which I returned to Newegg for a replacement. 

Reset.png
Veteran Member

[ Edited ]

@Concept2

I have not tried recovery mode but if you can at least get to the entry screen like mine, you should be able to SSH.  It may not be discoverable either but if it does happen to get an IP from (maybe different than what it was before) from DHCP, there is a chance that it is still alive.

If not, the last resort would be to RMA the CK.  When you do RMA the CK, make sure you get is v2 unit as you currently have the newer one and not v1.

Hey Concept2, did you ever find a solution or did you just return it?  I’m experiencing this exact scenario you had to a T out of the box on my first CK.  Nothing I do gets it to dhcp or appear on the network...and only the emergency recovery screen directly connected to my laptop works.  (Web not ssh...says connection refused)  Firmware updates/Factory Resets/Reboots all for naught.  Verified ports and cabling on my edge router...nada.

Yes  at the time I did not have PoE switches, so I was powering it with a separate power adapter. It turned out that the power adapter was inadequate (read: cheap) and once I bought a better one, the thing just worked! Best of luck to you.