Cloud Key Gen 2 Plus without using NVR

Hi,

Currently I have a fully functional unifi environment (except the old school cloud key with is a pain). Looking to replace it with a Gen 2 but they are more rare than a successful moon landing it would appear. Is there any issues with using the plus cloud key when I already have an NVR running? Basically I'm willing to pay the extra $ just to get a new cloud key and not have to deal with the old one.

For background on the old cloud key, it is connected to a unifi 24 port switch as it has been since the beginning. At least once a week it becomes non-responsive and the unifi service is down. I can ssh in but cannot start / stop any services without errors or do a gentle reboot. I do a forced shutdown and typically it comes back for at least a few days. One every few months, this routine doesn't work and I have to do a hard reset on the cloud key and restore from backup.

I've been waiting forever for a cloud key gen 2 but have been unsuccessful in getting one thus far. The unifi store doesn't seem to work for Canadians unfortunately.

Thanks!

Established Member
Kudos: 186
Solutions: 55

Re: Cloud Key Gen 2 Plus without using NVR

The Ubiquiti store is for US and CDN customer's.  Can you see this link? https://store.ui.com/collections/surveillance/products/unifi-cloudkey-gen2-plus-1

I know but I haven't had any luck ordering. I order a LOT of stuff from online stores in Canada and the US but theirs always gets stuck when I get to the CC phase and doesn't go any further. I haven't been able to get any help on getting things working there.
Ancient Member
Kudos: 10706
Solutions: 1664

I use the G2-Plus only for Protect meaning I have SDN disabled.  I have a gen1 UCK for SDN and I have an NVR for UFV.  There is no problem to run them all on the same layer 2 network.

Kudos: 4507
Solutions: 1171

Hello @iano,

You can use the UCK G2 ( non plug )

You won't see any issues using the UCK G2 Plus without running protect, just the HDD will stay on all the time.

Regards,

Glenn R.

Cloud Hosted Controllers | Glenn R. | UniFi Installation/Easy Update Scripts | UniFi-Video Installation Scripts | UniFi-VoIP Installation Scripts
USG-XG-8 • USG-4-PRO • USG
US-XG-16 • US-48-500W • US-24-POE-250W 2x • US-16-POE-150W 3x • US-24 • US-8-150W • US-8
UAP XG • UAP-SHD • UAP-HD • UAP-NanoHD 2x • UAP-AC-PRO 2x • UAP-AC-LITE • UAP-AC-IW • UAP-AC-M • UAP-AC-M-PRO 2x
UAS-XG • UCK-G2-PLUS • UCK-G2 • UCK
Established Member

[ Edited ]

Thanks! I have a line on a store that has them (the plus) in stock. 

I would rather have a non-plus but those don't seem to be making it here yet.

Plan is to have a sledge hammer party once I get the gen 2 installed. The guest of honour will be the original cloud key Man Happy I'll try to remember to post a video. I think a lot of original cloud key owners will appreciate it!

Hello @iano,

Poor G1, they still usefull to me Man Very Happy

Regards,

Glenn R.

Cloud Hosted Controllers | Glenn R. | UniFi Installation/Easy Update Scripts | UniFi-Video Installation Scripts | UniFi-VoIP Installation Scripts
US-XG-16 • US-48-500W • US-24-POE-250W 2x • US-16-POE-150W 3x • US-24 • US-8-150W • US-8
UAP XG • UAP-SHD • UAP-HD • UAP-NanoHD 2x • UAP-AC-PRO 2x • UAP-AC-LITE • UAP-AC-IW • UAP-AC-M • UAP-AC-M-PRO 2x

Yeah, I'm guessing there is a manufacturing issue or something with them that hasn't been identified yet (and won't be now that the G2 is out). They either seem to work perfectly or be totally flaky. Unfortunately I have a flake.

Personally I've tried: staying on a stable release for awhile, various cables to connect it to switch, using a POE adapter instead, connecting to different switches, connecting to different ports on switches, different memory cards, and probably more that I've forgotten. If I had tracked the time I've spent on this instead of my business I'd feel like a total idiot but at this point I think I've done anything that can be reasonably done to debug the issue.
Established Member

I have been running a G1 for about 3 years now. i have done everything you aren't supposed to do with - pulled power, power outages, etc. The only time I have had issues with, was a couple of wonky fw updates. Other than that, it's still running. It does have a mind of its own though, restarting out of the blue. Since it's a home network, I'm not going to stress about that..

And I'm the exact opposite Man Happy It's connected to a POE switch which is connected to a commercial UPS, and it has never had a single power outage event. It's in a locked cabinet and is never touched. The cabinet is cooled and has never been above 23 degrees celsius. This is all in an office environment (so no nasty manufacturing dirt).

A friend has one in his welding shop, connected via a POE adapter, they blow fuses in there once a week, and it's covered in dirt. His hasn't stopped working since it was setup.
Kudos: 13

I plan to buy the CKG2+ and keep my NVR seperate, with the ability to move to Protect in the future. From what I have read, it will work just fine.

Hello @d19r93,

Correct, it will work fine.

Regards,

Glenn R.

Established Member
Kudos: 468
Solutions: 49

If you run a G2+ without Protect do you get *any* benefit from the disk and the extra memory? Or is that all held in reserve in case you start Protect?

IOW is the extra memory made available to the controller JVM? Does the controller use some of the disk for it's storage?

Hello @phk46,

You don’t gain anything from the disk.

Regards,

Glenn R.

Just updating that I managed to get a G2 Cloud Key a few weeks ago. It's been running solid since installed. Really nice to always be able to see the network now. The display is slick also.

If anybody out there is still dealing with one of the flaky G1s, toss it and get a G2. You won't regret it.

Hello @iano,

Glad you're enjoying the new UCK G2 Man Happy

Regards,

Glenn R.