Scheduled maintenance: Community available only in read-only mode until 6:00 AM (PT)
Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 1535
Solutions: 457

Re: Cloud Key Issue

@EDPR,

We definitely recommend placing any device that runs a database on a UPS to avoid data integrity issues.

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png
Ubiquiti Networks Enterprise Support Team

UniFi Protect: UniFi Protect Help Center | Frequently Asked Questions

UniFi Video 3: UniFi Video Help Center | UFV3 User Guide

Ubiquiti Employee

@jporozynski,

I tried to log in this morning, and I was informed that the host key has changed. Did you reset the CK, or change forwarding to a new device?

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png

Kudos: 21

I reset it and spent several hours reconfiguring it! It's also on my UPS now.
Ubiquiti Employee

Understood!

I'd suggest exporting a backup of your controller once you have configured it. Future controller releases will also include a scheduled backup that stores the files to the SD card Man Happy

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png

Kudos: 1

UBNT-Cody wrote:   Future controller releases will also include a scheduled backup that stores the files to the SD card Man Happy

Do you know when that future release is?  It seems odd that a network device, something drawing power from a switch, would have issues with power like that.  Better yet, is there something we can add to the system now to facilitate these "backups"?

Established Member
Kudos: 397
Solutions: 19

@pgudat wrote:

Better yet, is there something we can add to the system now to facilitate these "backups"?

Sure,

$ man cron && man cp
Ubiquiti Employee

@pgudat wrote:

UBNT-Cody wrote:   Future controller releases will also include a scheduled backup that stores the files to the SD card Man Happy

Do you know when that future release is?  It seems odd that a network device, something drawing power from a switch, would have issues with power like that.  Better yet, is there something we can add to the system now to facilitate these "backups"?

It's available in the current beta release, v5.2.0:

http://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-Beta-Blog/UniFi-5-2-0-is-released-for-testing/ba-p/1633235

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png

Kudos: 36
Solutions: 4

same thing happened to me. white flashing led and no controlled was reachable. Only the management page was reachcable and also via SSH was ok.

Reinitialized and worked fine for a day. After a day I found the controller resetted to defaults. Restored one more time and working fine for almost a week now.

Greetings

Mauro from Italy

TECH Service
Kudos: 1

@EDPR wrote:

@pgudat wrote:

Better yet, is there something we can add to the system now to facilitate these "backups"?

Sure,

$ man cron && man cp

Gee, thanks for that!  I was hoping for something useful such as "here are the files that tend to get corrupted that you should backup" or "this is what I did to get around this issue" and "here is a safe place to put the files".  I wonder if we can vote people down for their attitude.  Even a simple, "just copy those files out using a scheduled job" would have sufficed. 

Established Member

As stated somewhere else on this forum it is good to have this device on a UPS so it keeps running through power outages.

I live in an area which has multiple power cuts a day.  We've lost 3 or 4 Cloud Key configurations over the past couple weeks.

I've moved a Cloud Key from its dedicated USB charger into one of the USB ports of a ONT, which happens to have a integrated mini UPS.  No issues since, even though the USB port isn't quite rated for attaching any powered device.

Moved other Cloud Keys on a normal UPS, also no issues since.

SuperUser
Kudos: 6208
Solutions: 387

@pgudat wrote:

Gee, thanks for that!  I was hoping for something useful such as "here are the files that tend to get corrupted that you should backup" or "this is what I did to get around this issue" and "here is a safe place to put the files".  I wonder if we can vote people down for their attitude.  Even a simple, "just copy those files out using a scheduled job" would have sufficed. 

I've found several ways to do a backup via the Unifi API via the CLI.  Much safer than just copying files around.  I documented them in the comments to my original feature request for more backup options here:  http://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-Feature-Requests/More-prompting-and-options-to-back-up-configs/id...

Because I started finding references to how to back up via the CLI after I created the feature request (of course!).

It would still be nice to have more official documentation from UBNT around this, and as @UBNT-Cody pointed out they do have automatic config backups in the latest beta version (woot!).  Rumors about an option to back up to the UBNT cloud also surface from time to time too (would be better still!).

When you receive a solution to your question/issue, don't forget to mark your thread as solved and to give kudo's to the people who have helped you out!

Having wifi problems? Take a look here first: https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/221029967-UniFi-Debugging-Intermittent-Connectivity-Issues-on-your-UAP
Established Member
Kudos: 999
Solutions: 244

[ Edited ]

Hi @shauns

With luck I've found a solution to a cloudkey issue on another thread.

Take a look at it, it might fix your issue too.

http://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-Wireless/Unifi-cloud-key-trouble/m-p/1631580#U1631580

Please give kudo's to the people who have helped you and mark your thread as solved when you receive a solution to your issue.
For a deeper understanding on how WiFi works.
Certified UEWA, ACSP, ACTC
Kudos: 176
Solutions: 5

[ Edited ]

@osunifi wrote:

Hi @shauns

With luck I've found a solution to a cloudkey issue on another thread.

Take a look at it, it might fix your issue too.

http://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-Wireless/Unifi-cloud-key-trouble/m-p/1631580#U1631580

@UBNT-Cody Something may be worth noting here. The above link reports that deleting two 0 byte files on the troubled CK brought it back to life.It would be interesting to see if those with broken CKs could bring theirs back by applying this fix.

If I understand correctly the current CK FW beta includes code to perform periodic backups. But even better... it would be great that if the majority of these issues were due to a cupla 0 byte files as opposed to a corrupted database. I imagine the developers might be able to add a startup check for such files and deal with them as needed. ??

Kudos: 2

[ Edited ]

Had the same problem everyone is describing here.  Commercial power went out - was on ups but ups failed.  Anyway, couldn't log into the unifi controller after power failure.   I DID delete these zero byte files and viola, a reboot and I can now log into the controller.  Now to reconfigure/restore....

Ubiquiti Employee

Hi @salsaman06,

Which files were zero bytes? Just the local files, or others?

When you logged into the controller, were you presented with the setup wizard, or were you able to log into your controller?

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png

Established Member
Kudos: 999
Solutions: 244

Hi @UBNT-Cody

I had once a case where a user sent me his db folder. ace-stat.3 was 0 bytes. I deleted that file and the controller started fine. Of course there was no ace-stat.4. I guess as long it's the last file of a DB we get away with deleting the 0 byte file.

Please give kudo's to the people who have helped you and mark your thread as solved when you receive a solution to your issue.
For a deeper understanding on how WiFi works.
Certified UEWA, ACSP, ACTC
Ubiquiti Employee

As far as I understand (and I'm not a Mongo DBA by any means), what matters is whether the Mongo has enough to work with in order to repair the database after the file is deleted. I'm hoping to get more images of CKs in this state to test with. @osunifi, do you still have the customer's database you just mentioned? I had downloaded it but couldn't extract it.

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png

Kudos: 3

[ Edited ]

I found this thread while searching online for the same issue.  Cloud Key flashing white and no access to the dashboard. 

I followed a link above that mentioned zero bit files and did some searching.

I found three files in my /srv/unifi/data/db folder that were 0 KB in size.  ace_stats.0,ace_stats.1,ace_stats.2.

I deleted all three of the files and restarted the unifi service.  I was then able to log into the controller properly.

Emerging Member
Kudos: 17

[ Edited ]

@Yavin17- Just found this thread myself, exact same thing.  Nuked those 3 files and all working again.

@UBNT-Cody- This occured while I was doing a power cycle on my switch and all of my gear for a rewire.  Didn't come back up from power cycle.  At first I thought the switch I am waiting for the RMA on blew another components, but ended up being this.

Firmware v0.5.5

Version 5.2.9-8748

Established Member

Strange you still have this issue with these recent firmwares.

Months ago I had a few similar issues but solved this with putting a UPS on the CK - and newer firmwares.

Never had the problem again.

Now I've been 'torturing' some CK's - some of them the very ones that crashed before - by putting them on the normal mains power, disconnecting them from the UPS. 

Environments are various: some are behind a USG, some not, some are on 5.2.x, 5.3.x and 5.4.x betas.  Some CK's are heavily loaded (+20 UAP, +200 clients), others have only a couple UAP and very few clients.

I must have accumulated a few hundres power cuts and none of the CK's have given up.  I assumed it was because of the newer firmwares.

But your situation tells me this ain't necessarily the case.