Kudos: 2

Re: Cloud Key - Unifi Stopped?

Hi ,
4 days all ok, 11 devices including cloudkey.
So I drove 600kms, re-inserted the cloudkey , then slowly upgraded all the firmware on everything.. took a few hours, as Telstra adsl in the Snowy Mountains is woefully slow. Had to "restart" a few aps. ps I have a mixture or older access points and newer AC Pros
Also tested on both Chrome and Firefox. All working ok, , but not sure if I want to upgrade any newer software if it comes along..might just stick with what is working at the moment Man Happy Fingers crossed there has been a fix. (Did not read any announcement of one) Cheers

I wouldn't be trusting a cloudkey in a commercial type environment - particularly if you have to drive 600kms to restart it when it stops!  Mine still hasn't survived for more than 2 days and I have the latest software in it.  I have the speed test running which plots a graph of internet latency.  Judging fromt the gaps which appear in the plot, I assume that it crashes every few hours or so as it misses a couple of speed tests before (I assume) it reboots and gets going again.

For managing a commercial system I would be considering investing in Unifi's Cloud Managment offering.  One single trip to the Snowies would cost you more than the $200 yearly subscription to this service.  See details here: https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-Wireless/Announcing-UniFi-s-newest-Cloud-management-offering/td-...

[ Edited ]

Some good points..

Well, up to 6 days now for the first time ever with the Cloud Key, so will see how it goes. Am pretty wary of non working upgrades,  at present , so will avoid software upgrades instead of "blindly trusting" an upgrade. Lets say my faith in the key is disturbed due to the length of time that the key was not working at all.

Am also interested in any responses via Ubiquiti regarding and technical issues that have  been programmatically "fixed " , and how they did it. All seems very silent.  A bit of transparency and communication could be good.

No $200 per annum for me at this point.  I have spent enough. If the key fails again, I have a plan B.

Edit : I try and do the long drive  for more than just the cloudkey Man Happy

ps.. wish you well with your setup.

Cheers

Kudos: 35
Solutions: 1

Maybe I should have read this thread prior to purchasing my CloudKey!

Controller: 5.10.10
Access Points: 2 x AC-Lite & 1 x AC-M
Kudos: 44
Solutions: 14

We have also ran into unstable Cloudkeys, but so far, only 1 has been consistently inconsistent.  It is also possible to run multiple Cloudkeys in the same network for backup, but only 1 can be actively controlling the devices.  As long as you have the correct device passwords and make backups immediately before and after any changes, it would be trivial to restore to the working unit.  That would allow for scheduling a more convenient time for a maintenance visit.

KuoH

@jwinter wrote:

I wouldn't be trusting a cloudkey in a commercial type environment - particularly if you have to drive 600kms to restart it when it stops!  Mine still hasn't survived for more than 2 days and I have the latest software in it.  I have the speed test running which plots a graph of internet latency.  Judging fromt the gaps which appear in the plot, I assume that it crashes every few hours or so as it misses a couple of speed tests before (I assume) it reboots and gets going again.

[ Edited ]

Puh, +1 for having a CK that freezes consistently. Mine runs maybe 1-2 weeks, but then consistently is unresponsive. Power cycle so far fixes the issue. CK is hanging of an Unifi 8-150W switch powered through PoE. Updated to the latest firmware v0.8.2 and controller v5.6.22.

Not happy that this has been going on for so long with no permanent fix provided by Ubiquiti. 

I am now trying with a daily reboot through cron. Will see how that goes.

[ Edited ]

Yep mine stopped again about a week ago .  Making me cranky.  Waste of money for sure on the cloudkey. Most cloudkey buyers paid a bit for all their Ubiquiti gear.. I have 11 unifi products. I want my money back on the cloudkey. It is not fit for purpose. They should contact the purchasers and offer to buy it back.. No questions asked.

They can buy mine back and test it to their hearts content. Enough is enough,. So many patient people trying to help ubiquiti.. and is Ubiquiti doing anything to help the customers who have a cloudkey that will not work reliably? Why the reluctance on Ubiquiti  to address the cloudkey buyers?  Are they burying their head in the sand hoping the  buyers will just go away? If so, doesnt that run a risk of alienation of the  good customers of the other Ubiquiti products?

I know thay have been trying to fix the problem, but now a long time has passed, and for those that are willing to wait for years longer, fine.

For those that have had enough, offer them their money back. Come on. Dont be mean spirited.

Mine amazingly ran for the record time of approx two weeks but died again sometime between yesterday and today when I checked it.  Powering it off and on again got it working again.

Emerging Member
Kudos: 8
Solutions: 2

Well today this issue happened to me.  I moved the cloud key and it lost connection to power and now stuck not being able to start the unifi service.

Tried deleting .0 files as recommended earlier = Still dead

Tried restoring a backup = Still dead

Restore factory Settings = Unifi running -> Restore backup = Still dead

"Darn".  FWIW mine is definitely a V1 key.

[ Edited ]

Hi Jwinter,
seems a few are getting two weeks. Is there anyone on this forum from Ubiquiti that is prepared to post at all? It is a Ubiquiti forum, I imagine they read the forum. Why no response, no communication? Perhaps Ubiquiti would like to power cycle the Cloudkey for me all the time, until a fix is found? I can give them the address.

[ Edited ]

Your experience is the exact opposite of mine. We install CKs at customer sites all the time and we've never had a service call regarding a downed CK. It's actually a *perfect* solution for the sorts of SMB customers we service since they do not have the real estate to run a dedicated controller. We did at one point consider building a private cloud environment to host in house, but with the advent of the CKs we haven't needed to.

My personal cloud key in my home office has been running on the ucck 0.8.2 / ctlr 5.6.22 code since November 10 without a reboot (as the linux processes show me).

EDIT: Also, I'm sure we have a mix of v1/v2 keys in use. We've pretty much been installing them since they were available.

The DDC

We have similar problems, with 14 days old cloud key. After couple days still response on ping, but no web gui, no ssh - solution replug to poe switch, we looking for permanent solution from Ubiquity.

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 634
Solutions: 40
Contributions: 1

@jindabyne2627 We are reading this thread and are happy to help resolve each issue here. If you haven't opened a case with support yet I'd advise you do so- you can do this at the following link: 
https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

@memphisto Can you send me your server.log file from your Cloud Key?

To reiterate, one of the challenges on this thread is that despite the symptoms all appearing the same on this thread- we typically see a number of different causes. We have made improvements in recent firmware to make the Cloud Keys recover from a number of the potential causes- but those affected here likely either haven't upgraded or are facing an issue that wasn't addressed by these improvements. 

We apologize for the difficulties so far- we are more than happy to assist anyone who is having issues here and work to get each of these cases sorted out. Please feel free to PM me if you'd like further assistance debugging your Cloud Key issue.

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png
Ubiquiti Networks Enterprise Support Team

Check out our ever-evolving Help Center for answers to many common questions!

Emerging Member
Solutions: 2

[ Edited ]

I managed to get mine going again by factory resetting and then applying the restore.  One annoying thing is that when restoring the process doesn't change what is on the screen.  So I click "Restore" on whatever version, it tells me it is checking the file contents and restoring and then just that.  I finally had the patience to just leave it for an hour or so and noticed the controller magically appeared online.  All is good.

The cause of my initial problem is losing power to the Cloud Key.  I found that the supplied rigid CAT5 jumper that comes in the box has enough give in the port that it can disconnect from the POE.  What I mean by this is with the RJ45 end in the port and clicked in, you can pull it back just enough to disconnect the pins without unclicking it from the port.  I threw it away and went with a factory made jumper I had laying around.  This has no give in the port at all.

MongoDB's problem or not, the cloud key should not default to being broken on power loss.

Established Member
Kudos: 443
Solutions: 46

@UBNT-APieper wrote:

@jindabyne2627 We are reading this thread and are happy to help resolve each issue here.

@UBNT-APieper, could you provide some insight into what is understood about these problems? Are the problems just related to mongodb's non-graceful handling of power outages, regardless of platform? Or is there something about the cloud key that makes it more vulnerable?

Also, are there certain configurations / usage patterns that aggrevate the problem?

If people are having problems with a cloud key, is running the controller on some other box likely to improve things for them?

Ubiquiti Employee

[ Edited ]

@phk46 Here is a list of some common causes/the solutions/preventative measures: 

Cause: Database corruption resulting from power loss or other maintenance issues on the CK
Solution: Try database cleanup, if performance issues persist, perform settings-only backup and restore, if possible.
Prevention: To prevent, ensure ethernet cable is not faulty, try swapping out with another. Run switch/power source off battery backup. Routine database maintenance. 

Cause: Database reaching 2GB maximum size supported for 32-bit versions of MongoDB, preventing writing of new data and causing Cloud Key to be largely non-functional. 
Solution: Prune existing database and lower data retention settings to prevent in the future. 
https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/204911424-UniFi-How-to-Remove-Prune-Older-Data-and-Adjust-Mo...
Prevention: Keep only what data is necessary in Settings > Maintenance > Data Retention Settings.  The more APs/devices you have on your CK managed network, the more vulnerable you will be to this issue- so take necessary precautions. If you find this issue is occurring frequently, consider moving to a 64-bit software hosted instance. 

Cause: Cloud Key maxes out disk space- causing the CK to go offline. 
Solution: Check disk space if full,  clean out excessive backup files via SSH. Then limit the number of backups you keep. Also, shorten data retention and perform a shrink on your DB. 
Prevention: Keep tabs on the data usage, only keep a handful of backups as necessary. If the size of your database is large, consider the space implications of storing the backups on the Cloud Key. Consider adding a larger microSD card to increase storage further. 

Cause: On older firmware that didn't have the recovery methods added to improve the CK function in recent Cloud Key versions. 
Solution: Upgrade to most recent CK firmware available. 
Prevention: Routinely apply CK firmware updates to ensure performance improvements are applied. 

If any of the above causes are at play in any of the reported issues- a Settings-only backup/reset of the Cloud Key and subsequent restore will often resolve these issues.  Sometimes hardware can be faulty but this is rare- check first ethernet cables/power source stability, etc. If after reset/restore, the issues persist it may be a hardware issue. 

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png

After my CloudKey lasted the record time of approx two weeks before stopping, I did a settings only backup and upgraded from firmware 7.5 to the latest version 8.2.  However it only ran for about a day before seizing up and this time powering it OFF and ON was not sufficent to get it going again. So after cycling the power several times and waiting for the light to stop flashing - which it never did, I held the reset button pressed for 10 seconds to take it back to factory default.  I then restored it to the settings only backup that I had taken a day ago.  So I will see how long it runs with the latest firmware, software and settings only restored.  There is no way that this Cloudkey ever loses power.  It is sitting on my desk as the only device powered from a US-8-60W switch and it only has 5 devices to control - 2 APs, 2 switches, and a USG.

a Few of my cloud keys frm different sites keep on crashing where the controller is up but unifi is down. Whee do i get the logs from to send you?

Emerging Member
Kudos: 15
Solutions: 1

[ Edited ]

I just had the same issue. Power went out thanks to the Atlanta snow storm and the UPS went out a few hours later when I wasn't home to do a proper shutdown. 

Power came back later and everything is up and running on its own, except for the CK. Running CK firmware 0.8.2 and controller version 5.6.22.

I have a backup CK because I just knew something like this was going to happen. And I keep the backup CK updated so it was a simple switch out and I have a functioning controller again. Now that I am back up and running I can take some time to troubleshoot the non functioning CK. Happy to run any commands or show any screenshots.

The non-functioning CK will boot and I can navigate to the IP address. I can login to the CK for configuration and I see that the Unifi service is stopped. Try to start it manually and it still doesn't work. 

I also took the SD card out and tried to mount it in a Mac. The Mac tells me "The disk you inserted is not readable by this computer". Not sure if that should happen. I was hoping to pull off the backup from this morning but oh well. I have a recent backup and will just lose some DPI stats I guess...no big deal. Also have over 90% free space on both the CK and SD card.

@UBNT-APieper any suggestions? This seems to be "option 1" in your recent list of causes but I don't know how to perform the database maintenance.

On a different note, what advatanges do CKs have over controllers hosted on a local desktop? I get the "always on" thing but these CKs seem to have serious issues. Should I just abandon the CK and go with a Windows based controller (I know this is an opinion question and I will get varying responses)? I don't feel comfortable with an internet based hosted controller solution (L3 adoption) because if my USG is down for some reason, the controller will be worthless. At least the controller on the internal network will allow me to see what is going on.

Ubiquiti Employee

@rtnets See the directions associated with the Cloud Key here: https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/204959834-UniFi-What-log-files-exist-and-where-can-I-view-th... You can also download the Support file and send it to me. 

@twr You can run a database repair via SSH by running the following command: 
mongod --dbpath /usr/lib/unifi/data/db --repair

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png