Kudos: 7

Re: Cloud Key - Unifi Stopped?

Well, we'll get over the fact that such a sensitivity to power shoud be well notified and I'll tell you that my CK is powered from a UniFi power injector which is powered from a double conversion on-line UPS.

And I think that if we are saying that because of a poor power supply, CK could act wierd, then this should mean wierd. In this case, the only wierd thing is that that service is stopped and cant be start, but everything else is functioning as it should...

Kudos: 45
Solutions: 14

We have CKs running on EdgeRouter, Unifi, Toughswitch, Meraki MX appliances & MS switches and have seen them go offline at some point on all platfoms, usually requiring just a power cycle to get them back.  While I would like put all CKs on Unifi switches, the fact is, they're not stable enough yet and when they go offline, you can't reboot them remotely if they're on a Unifi switch or USB power.  We can't be calling end users once a month or in some cases, every few days, to go into our rack to unplug a CK to get it back online.

I'm not convinced that the recent rash of CK issues are more power related than hardware or software QC related.  I do know that out of the 15+ CKs we've deployed over the past 10 months, the earlier ones aren't having nearly as much issues as the ones from recent months.  The newest ones with the newest firmwares seem to be the ones going offline the most, with one now needing a complete reset / restore.

KuoH

@EdTaggart wrote:

I have powered them with everything from POE injectors, other brands of POE switches, and USB power supplies. I have found the most sucess from the Unifi POE, and 2.4A 5.25V power supplies.Something about the power on these being low seems to freak everything out.  

I just purchased a brand new set of:  Cloud Key, Unifi 24 Port POE, Security Gateway and mated that with a pair of AP-AC-Pros.

I have the same problem as everybody else.  I can get the key to work for a short period.

I can adpot all devices, upgrade them, and monitor them.  However, the key will not stay up for very long.  Once it goes does it may or may not come back up.

I tried plugging into USB power and the Unifi POE switch.  Neither allowed the key to stay up.

It took me awhile to determine that the cloud key was the thing that was failing. 

Then I read this and I'm fairly disappointed.

I'm adding my $0.015 here in case a solution comes around.

The cloud key is about useless and I've had to move over to running the contrller on a PC (which I was trying to avoid).

Kudos: 6

What I find the most disturbing about this is response from Ubiquiti and that they haven't recalled, or at the very least stopped selling any more of these paperweights. One would think that anyone with so much as a modicum of business sense would want to avoid such a disastrous experience for first time customers and to alienate existing customers who already have a substantial investment in Ubiquiti products.

I have one of these pieces of junk running at home and I am desperately trying to avoid running yet another server. But my experience so far away from home is that running a server, a Windows Server even, isn't even in the same ballpark. Not a single instance of crashing, database corruption, or any other general silliness.

I'm sure there's voluminous fine print relieving Ubiquiti of any and all liability when one of these things falls flat on it's face, but with this much evidence of a product known to be defective coupled with ZERO action on the part of Ubiquiti - well let's just say it's not a very good look to walk around with.
Established Member
Kudos: 450
Solutions: 46

Why do they still sell them? I have not had a bit of trouble with mine over a year or so. Initially I had it powered with USB. More recently I've had it on POE. I once used to unplug it without concern when fiddling with my network. I did that quite a lot. Based on comments in this forum I have become more careful, and have put my network on a UPS. But that is out of an abundance of caution, not due to any personal experience.

Initially I had nothing suitable to run a controller on, so the CK was ideal for me. I now have a Synology NAS, so if I was starting over I might choose to run the controller there. But that would require one with more oomph, and would bring more hassle since it isn't an officially supported platform.

Bottom line - while the reports of flakiness concern me I'm glad it is available. But I wish they could sort out the problems.

As a follow-up to my original post, I'm also beginning to wonder if heat is an issue.  My Cloud Key gets very warm and I'm wondering if it is overheating and that is the cause of the flakiness. 

This is from memory, but there is another "small appliance type device" that I used in the past.  A firmware upgrade caused a driver to be upgraded.  The driver had a bug that caused the onboard device it was driving to work harder than it should.  This caused the entire device to run hotter than it originally did.  This in-turn led to failures of the device due to thermal overload.  Powering down would allow it to cool and work again on power up.  Howver, over time it would get too hot and shutdown.

Don't know if this is part of the CK problem or not.  However, here are two things that I noted:

1) My device would never recognize the microSD card.  It always said one was never inserted.  

2) If / when i removed the MicroSD card, the card itself was hot enough to burn my fingers.

3) The CK device itself was very warm but not alarmingly so.

Just more thoughts.  I'll be returning it today.

- Steve

Just to add my 'stopped' CloudKey. It is a confirmation that this issue still exists. Tried several possibilities mentioned in this thread, but no solution. Will follow this thread, knowing Ubiquity can not let this go. Therefor the CloudKey and its function are to valuable.

Well, we keep talking here, but what Ubiquiti has to say about this, anyway?!...Confused5

Same issues here - at least 3 of our CloudKeys keep stopping the controller.  Very annoying.

Kudos: 1
Solutions: 1

Same issue here. Love Ubiquiti products, but I am tremendously annoyed right now. Very sad to see Ubiquiti doing so little about this.

[ Edited ]

"so little"?...

Well, then you got me! That means you saw something though.

On the other hand, I'm really a fan myself of all their products (well, since this KC issue, not all anymore)

Sorry for offtopic!

Just to add to this thread.   I have been wrangling with my cloud.key since day one.  Its unreliable.  Controller keep stopping and or the unit just locks up. 

I chatted with Unifi support - nada - bummer - this little device has so much promise but it simply does not work.  

To provide an update on my previous issues, the cloud that I had that became unresponsive was manufactured early this year.

The replacement that was sent was manufactured mid-2016 and it has been configured exactly the same on the same equipment but in the last 2 months hasn't failed once....

leads me to hardware as issue in my case
Kudos: 1

Yeah, support told me there was an update "coming soon" to fix the issue. I've updated both the Cloud Key firmware and the unifi software. At this point no change, just no unifi running on my cloudkey.

Kudos: 4

[ Edited ]

I updated my CK firmware last night and am now experiencing this same problem...I can access the CK using the local IP but it reports the UniFi service as "stopped" and refuses to restore from one of the daily backups I have stored...

Screen Shot 2017-07-10 at 07.32.29.png

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 657
Solutions: 40
Contributions: 1

Hi all- thanks for your patience here. We have a number of our engineers working on debugging this issue. Many users are likely seeing a different issue than some of the similar issues previously noted in this thread- some of which we have addressed in firmware releases. We do think we have found another issue that may have caused this behavior- and are working on fixing. 

For anyone who is still experiencing similar issues, as is convenient can you share answers to these questions/any other pertinent details you may have? 
1. How many of your Cloud Keys are displaying the issue? 
2. What Cloud Key firmware and what controller version is the issue being seen on?
3. How are you powering your Cloud Key(s)?
4. Was there any interruption of power or power-cycling of the equipment as aligned with the symptoms being displayed? 

Thank you! 

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png
Ubiquiti Networks Enterprise Support Team

Check out our ever-evolving Help Center for answers to many common questions!

Hi AP,

So let me be the 1st that will answer, although I'm not the most representative for this issue, as i don't have more then a single CK controller.

And with this I've answered to your 1st question.

2. 0.6.9 with 5.4.16 was the start

When I've upgraded to 0.6.9 + 5.4.18, I've stopped myself the UniFi service before upgrade (I don't know why, I've thought it should be done).

The service never start after that, no mater how many tries.

Now I have 0.6.9 + 5.5.19 - the situation is the same - service stopped.

3. I'm using an Ubiquiti PoE adapter, model UBI-POE-48-5G connected (aside to other equipments) to a double conversion APC UPS, model Smart-UPS RT 3000 XL

4. No power failure since the CK 1st startup.

Deleted Account

Hi eac,
I've tried to reproduce the issue with your update scenario, but so far I haven't notice any problem. Could you check what is your disk usage?
Also could you share your log files (`/srv/unifi/logs/*`) via PM?
Kudos: 4

[ Edited ]

Answers to your questions:

1) I have 1 CK and it is exhibiting this issue.

2) Occurred during update to v0.6.9 firmware. Was running 5.4.14 but was updating to 5.4.18

3) Powered through UniFi 16-port PoE switch.

4) No.

I was initially able to access my CK using IP address 192.168.1.55 but now the page just times out when I try to access it.

1. How many of your Cloud Keys are displaying the issue?
2. What Cloud Key firmware and what controller version is the issue being seen on?
3. How are you powering your Cloud Key(s)?
4. Was there any interruption of power or power-cycling of the equipment as aligned with the symptoms being displayed?

1. Only 1 on site at my home
2. 5.4.16 and .v0.6.4.5
3. Powered through Unifi 8 Port PoE Switch
4. No power cycling, randomly goes offline every few days. Unplugging and plugging back in the CK after a few minutes brings it back online.