CloudKey will not restore from backup.

A few weeks ago we began having issues with our CloudKey, randomly not being able to access the controller. We'd connect via SSH restart the Unifi service and we would be good to go. The went on for a couple of weeks before restarting the service would not work. Ended up chatting with support on and off over a couple of days when they suggested pruning the mongo.db. After pruning all seemed well. We had no issues accessing the key and everything seemed to be running well. That is, until the end of last week. Suddenly a colleague of mine attempted to log in and started getting errors that the credentials were wrong. I tried and got the same thing. At this point, I could still SSH to the device so I went back to the trusty, "let's restart the service", which had worked before. Nothing. Power-cycle, Nothing. Chat with support and he asks me to send them the support file. I explain that I have no access to the GUI to get the file, so they recommend a reset and restore. I reset the device and start the restore. Everything looks great but is taking forever. It was near the end of the day so I let it run overnight and figured I would come back in the morning and get started. I come in the next day and it is still restoring. Obviously, something is up as the restore did not seem to take. All this brings me to today. I've attempted a reset and restore from the Controller after going through the Unifi Wizard, no dice. I reset and restore during the Unifi Wizard setup process, no dice. I reset and restored from the CloudKey configuration page, no dice. I've tried these steps all on the existing key. I bought a new key and tried on it as well with the same SD card. Each time the restore says it is running, but it never finishes. So, I suppose I have a couple of questions.

1. Have any of you experienced anything like this before?

2. If I am unable to get this file restored, what happens with all of my devices? We have roughly 50 devices, a mix of switches and AP's spread across 10 sites in 5 states on the US East coast. Many of which I am not going to be able to physically put hands on though I would still be able to SSH to them. If I bail and set up a new key or move the controller to a server can these devices be brought over?

Thanks! I appreciate any help.

Kudos: 226
Solutions: 27

Re: CloudKey will not restore from backup.

If you can SSH to the devices (you know the SSH username and password) then you can use the restore-default command to wipe the devices clean. Then they will try to contact your controller to be re-adopted.

50 devices sounds a lot for a Cloud Key. IIRC Ubiquiti recommends CK for 30 devices or less.

If you have problems with both Cloud Keys it could be that the SD card is broken. I've had that happen Smiley Sad

I've had all kinds of problems with Cloud Keys, so I don't recommend them to anyone. You should run your controller on a Linux server if you have a non-trivial installation. You could also run it on a cloud service like AWS or Google Cloud. You can run it GCP for free. Here is a link to my instructions on how to set up the free option in 15 minutes.

If I helped you, please don't clutter the forum with a Thank You post. Give Kudos or Mark as a Solution instead. I'll appreciate it.

Thanks, @PetriR. This last restore finally appears to have worked and we're up and running for now. I did not realize UBNT recommended 30 devices on a CloudKey. That being said, we've been debating on moving to a server installation for a while, and given this fiasco, I think we'll be moving. We do not have a Linux server, but we do have a couple local HyperV Windows Server VM's as well as a handful of VMWare Windows Servers in a datacenter. Any issues with installing the controller on a Windows server?

Highlighted
Kudos: 226
Solutions: 27

Glad to hear!

https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/217549368-UniFi-How-many-APs-can-the-Cloud-Key-handle-

I know some run UniFi Controller on Windows boxes. Honestly, I have never used Windows in production. All development is done on Unix variants: Linux, macOS and Cloud Key. The results are ported to Windows. You can very well run Ubuntu 16.04 or Debian 9 on Hyper-V or VMWare. That's how I would recommend it, but others are welcome to join the conversation.

If I helped you, please don't clutter the forum with a Thank You post. Give Kudos or Mark as a Solution instead. I'll appreciate it.
Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 624
Solutions: 40
Contributions: 1

@Belden Yes you are definitely pushing the limits of what the Cloud Key can handle as the article shows. As a general rule of thumb, the UniFi Cloud Key is best suited for small installs where convenience/simplicity is preferred, or where another host device is not available. As far as the Windows controller goes, many would recommend Linux/Ubuntu, but the UniFi controller on Windows is supported and functional. 

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png
Ubiquiti Networks Enterprise Support Team

Check out our ever-evolving Help Center for answers to many common questions!