Upcoming Maintenance Alert:

The UBNT Community will be upgraded at 5pm MDT on April 25th. During this time the community forums will be set to read-only status.

Learn more

Connection to Modem

I am new to Ubiquiti, just looking into changing from our Cisco network to Unifi. I was looking at the UAP-AC-Pro and I have a basic question. Can I connect it directly to our cable modem or do I necessarily have to put a router in between the cable modem and the AP? I am confused about this. Our provider is Wave Broadband and we are using their modem which is an Arris TM822.

I would appreciate any and all information about this. I was nearly ordering the eauipment but was not sure about this.

Thanks

JC

Highlighted
Kudos: 99
Solutions: 29

Re: Connection to Modem

That Arris is just a modem.
You will need something to do your firewall/routing.

I got the UAP AC PRO. I am using now my old Linksys router (EA6500) just the wired part as I disabled the wi-fi. I will eventually add a Unifi router to replace everything Linksys. The WiFi is working really good, fast connections and very wide range. We are planning to add a second AP outside to reach to our house which is about 450 feet away from the office. So, for now we are very happy.

JC

Kudos: 99
Solutions: 29

Sweet glad you got it up and running.

BTW, Benj thanks for your replies!

JC