Kudos: 5
Solutions: 2

Controller running on AWS - some questions for those who know what they are doing

I have an AWS instance of the unifi controller that's been working for a few months. that I set up with the docs here (so I'm good at reading instructions.. not much more <g>! 

I have some questions, anyone care to take a shot at them?

1) I guess AWS is very powerfull with all the options / choice in there.  Am I wrong to have my head spin with all these things?  

2) Poking around on the AWS console I guess I created a snapshot? My storage usage has gone up recently and getting small monthly charge.  I tried deleting the snapshot I saw, but it said it was being used by an AMI. I deleted ('deregistered' the only AMI then could delete the snapshot.  The controller still seems to be up / working.  The AMI and snapshot are just part of backing things up? 

3) But they (AMI / snapshot) are stored on the AWS system, so if that all crashes you areSOL?  

4) As a unifi contorller, the auto backups are really what would needed to get back and running?

5) is there a way to force a unifi controller backup so you can download it?  Actually, is there a way to force a backup other than going into autobackup and setting the autobackup to run in 5 minutes, then download that file? 

6) is there a way to see what the AWS costs would be without the free year tier discount?  Rather than say

EC2 cost $x.xx

1st year credit -$x.xx

it just seems to list the base cost as $0.00.  I'd like to know what the cost really was without their discount.

thank you!

Re: Controller running on AWS - some questions for those who know what they are doing

OK - deleting the AMI deleted the controller, right?  It's not working now. 

Is there a way to recover it?

AMAZING how easy it is to kill things.

Anyone available for hire to help with this?  Do I need to pay for amazon support for a month to get them to help me? Then drop back down to free?

Highlighted

Re: Controller running on AWS - some questions for those who know what they are doing

now the controller is back up!?  So the AMI is NOT the virtual machine?  

The AWS was doing some back office stuff / took the controller offline for a bit?

a client with guest portal said the public SSID had a lock on it.  (normally it;s an open SSID... and they just have to click to get on the web after seeing the company's promo website.

Is there a way to keep allowing users fto get online when the controller goes offline?  Just withouth the connect button / redirect to their website