Coverage with 1 UAP-AC-LR

I am interested to know what kind of coverage I can expect with just one UAP-AC-LR in the house (10x5 meters - 2 floors which are just wood).

Currently my asus RT-AC87U router can reach anywhere (also on 5Ghz). What can I expect from the LR ?

Kudos: 4016
Solutions: 1025

Re: Coverage with 1 UAP-AC-LR

Hello @rzwarts,

Welcome to the community!

You know that the UAP AC LR is not a router?

You can loadup a local controller, import floor plans, draw walls, set a scale and place a virtual devices to indicate the range.

Regards,

Glenn R.

Cloud Hosted Controllers | Glenn R. | UniFi Installation/Easy Update Scripts | UniFi-Video Installation Scripts | UniFi-VoIP Installation Scripts
USG-XG-8 • USG-4-PRO • USG
US-XG-16 • US-48-500W • US-24-POE-250W 2x • US-16-POE-150W 3x • US-24 • US-8-150W • US-8
UAP XG • UAP-SHD • UAP-HD • UAP-NanoHD 2x • UAP-AC-PRO 2x • UAP-AC-LITE • UAP-AC-IW • UAP-AC-M • UAP-AC-M-PRO 2x
UAS-XG • UCK-G2-PLUS • UCK-G2 • UCK
Kudos: 440
Solutions: 113

You know the old saying, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". If your current access point reaches everywhere, what is the reason to change?

Emerging Member
Kudos: 12

I have a 2 story house with the LR mounted on the ceiling on the 2nd floor slightly offset to one side from the center (I call it the left side). I get great coverage with 2.4ghz everywhere even with the power set at low. With 5ghz it's pretty good too. The 2nd floor is covered pretty well. The 1st floor is good-to-fair on the left side and just fair on the right side. In the basement it is fair on the left and fair-to-poor (but still unusable) on the right side. I only have the power set medium on the 5ghz band though. I'm actually pretty amazed at how well the 5ghz penetrates in my house with the LR.

I do recommend mounting it on the ceiling. You'll see reduced performance if you mount it anywhere else. I also recommend getting more APs to fill the dead spots where needed. Every house is different so as always your mileage will vary. I actually have 4 UniFi APs in my house.

Well it can't cope with the amount of traffic and clients... so it is broke :-) When it was just an AP it worked fine...

I know the UAP-AC-LR is not a router... I ordered a USG and switch to go with that (and cloud key)... I don't have a floorplan of this building (nor do I have the software installed yet).

@bdginmo So this story and performance is with 4 AP's ?
Emerging Member
Kudos: 12

I use the other 3 APs to fill in the 5 ghz gaps and weak spots. I only have the 2.4 ghz turn on with the LR unit mounted on my 2nd floor ceiling. The 2.4 radio on the other 3 units are all turned off. I also have multiple APs for redundancy purposes. My clients roam to different APs seemlessly (mostly anyway) so I'm updating the firmware on one unit the clients automatically move to another. I'd start with just the LR and see how it goes. You can fill in weak spots with the LITE or M units as needed.

Highlighted

@bdginmo
I actually just need 5 ghz downstairs... But that's also the place where the ap will be. My concern is coverage upstairs...