DHCP problem with VLANs

Hi

I have a setup at a site with an older controller (3.2.10) running 4 x Unifi AP-LRs and this has been working well for several years. The setup is a corporate style network with RADIUS authentication (on the default VLAN) and a Guest network running on tagged VLAN 99 - there is a WatchGuard firewall on site which is providing DHCP for this tagged VLAN 99.

The site now wants to add 4 x AC PRO units which are not supported by the current controller so I've set up another controller on site running the latest release (as updating the existing controller is not practical given the number of updates required to get to the current level)  and for testing purposes set up a differently named corporate style network using RADIUS and it works well, I've also set up a different guest wireless network and configured it to also use tagged VLAN 99 but when devices connect to this wireless network they are not given an IP address. 

I have also tested setting up a different tagged VLAN, in this case 80, with a DHCP server on the WatchGuard, and set up wireless networks on both controllers using this VLAN and once again only the devices connecting to the wireless network set up on the older controller obtain an IP address.

I've double and triple checked the configuration of the controllers, wireless networks and WatchGuard but cannot see any reason for this behaviour - all devices are connected  to layer 2 switches with no VLAN settings on them .i.e. no ports appear to be set to handle specifically tagged VLANs as when I added the new VLAN it still worked on the setup on the older controller but not on the newer one.

Can anyone suggest why I might be seeing this issue, for the life of me I can’t see why this would be happening but given the number of hours I've spent looking at it I might  not be seeing something obvious as it is very easy to miss the simple things when you've been looking at it for so long.

Thanks

Kudos: 4494
Solutions: 1167

Re: DHCP problem with VLANs

Hello @JD-NZ,

Welcome to the community!

Do you have Auto-Optimize Network turned on?

Settings > Site > Auto-Optimize Network

Make sure the DHCP server is added to the exception list of the Multicast and Broadcast filtering.

Settings > Wireless Networks > SSID > Advanced Options > Multicast and Broadcast Filtering

Have you tried upgrading the UAPs to 4.0.30?

Why don't you upgrade the older UAPs via CLI, forget them in the old controller and adopt them to the new controller?

You can also upgrade the controller and upgrade the UAPs to 4.0.30 with a HTTP link when you get on 5.9.29

3.2.10 > 4.8.18 > 5.0.6 > 5.2.9 > 5.3.8 > 5.4.11 > 5.5.20 > 5.6.40 > 5.8.30 > 5.9.29 > 5.10.23

Regards,

Glenn R.

Cloud Hosted Controllers | Glenn R. | UniFi Installation/Easy Update Scripts | UniFi-Video Installation Scripts | UniFi-VoIP Installation Scripts
USG-XG-8 • USG-4-PRO • USG
US-XG-16 • US-48-500W • US-24-POE-250W 2x • US-16-POE-150W 3x • US-24 • US-8-150W • US-8
UAP XG • UAP-SHD • UAP-HD • UAP-NanoHD 2x • UAP-AC-PRO 2x • UAP-AC-LITE • UAP-AC-IW • UAP-AC-M • UAP-AC-M-PRO 2x
UAS-XG • UCK-G2-PLUS • UCK-G2 • UCK

Thanks I'll look in to this tomorrow (11pm here now)

Hello @JD-NZ,

Sure, please keep me posted!

Regards,

Glenn R.

Cloud Hosted Controllers | Glenn R. | UniFi Installation/Easy Update Scripts | UniFi-Video Installation Scripts | UniFi-VoIP Installation Scripts
US-XG-16 • US-48-500W • US-24-POE-250W 2x • US-16-POE-150W 3x • US-24 • US-8-150W • US-8
UAP XG • UAP-SHD • UAP-HD • UAP-NanoHD 2x • UAP-AC-PRO 2x • UAP-AC-LITE • UAP-AC-IW • UAP-AC-M • UAP-AC-M-PRO 2x

[ Edited ]

I have tried with Auto-Optimze both on and off - no change

the MAC address of the WatchGuard has been added to the exception list for Multicast and Broadcast filtering - no change

I really don't want to go through a convoluted update process on the old controller if it can be avoided as I fear that this may break things that are currently working. 

I've tried both AC PRO and an older AC LR unit on the new controller and neither unit is providing IP addresses on the tagged VLANs, only on the default untagged VLAN 1.

At the moment I'm consdering taking a Ruckus unit to site and testing this in the same environment to see if this works 

[ Edited ]

As it turned out the issue was that all of the dumb switches were attached to an unconfigured Layer 3 switch as the core switch and this switch in its default configuration only allowed untagged VLAN 1 packets.

After moving the new APS  to the same dumb switch as the tagged port of the WatchGuard and the exisitng APs everything works fine... moral of the story is that I should have checked the core switch and seen that it only handled untagged VLAN 1 packets. (my bad!)

Hello @JD-NZ,

Glad everything is working Man Happy

I highly recommend upgrading the old controller and older UAPs to the latest firmware due to security improvements...

Regards,

Glenn R.

[ Edited ]

My intention is to update the older UAPs and move them to the new controller then shut down the old one down.

Hopefully thats an easy enough task...

Hello @JD-NZ,

Ahh I though you would like to keep the settings from the old controller.

Just SSH into the UAP and upgrade them straight to 4.0.30 with a HTTP URL.

I recommend using one of the upgrade commands below.

curl <fimware_binary_link_location> -o /tmp/fwupdate.bin && fwupdate.real -m &
wget <fimware_binary_link_location> -O /tmp/fwupdate.bin && fwupdate.real -m &
curl <firmware_binary_link_location> -o /tmp/fwupdate.bin
syswrapper.sh upgrade2 &
wget <firmware_binary_link_location> -O /tmp/fwupdate.bin
syswrapper.sh upgrade2 &

Regards,

Glenn R.

[ Edited ]

Thanks a lot for that, plan at this stage is to replicate the WLAN settings from the old controller to the new (there are only 2), power off the 3 APs on the old controller, test test test, then power on the older UAPs, [edit]  forget UAPs from old contoller, [/edit] update and adopt in to the new controller.

** thanks for reminder of the important step I left out @AmazedMender16 **

Hello @JD-NZ,

You will want to forget the UAPs on the old controller so they go to a unadopted state.

Regards,
Glenn R.