Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Design advice

Hi

Apologies - I'm a Noob to Unifi in the UK so I may ask some really obvious questions but would appreciate some help. 

So the parents had a new house built and the cowboy construction firm turned nasty and left the wiring in a complete mess amongst other things uncompleted, put a BT master socket in a roof crawlspace (!) with the Cat 6 not even punched down to a patch pannel. However,  on a positive note they did install some WAP AC lites (2) in the house, connected via POE injectors to the BT router. 

Only problem is that once I clear up the mess there will be 7 cat 6 lines, 2 sonos connects, a IP cam NVR, 2 WAPs that need to be plugged in. So I just wanted to clarify what to buy. Also whether sky-Q will play nice with the setup?

I'm guessing a Switch 16, and a cloud key. Must I get a gateway? (guessing my BT router can do that job?) and that SKY-Q uses its own channel to connect to mini-boxes and that the main box could be connected via cat-6.  I'm aiming for a low maintainence system! :-D

thanks in advance

Accepted Solutions
Kudos: 210
Solutions: 28

Re: Design advice

Oh okay. Sorry about that. In the States we have the same thing. All in one routers and modems. thanks for letting me know what that was.

You don't need the gateway as well. If you were to get it for the statistics that it can do, which again can be very helpful in figuring out issues on the network sometimes, then you would put your BT in bridge mode, if it can do that and then it would just pass traffic from telephone lines to the USG and the USG would be the DHCP server for your network. But if you are not interested in all the stats and such, don't worry about it. I would just turn off the wifi portion of it so the controller can use the AP's you have instead. (Not sure if you have that BT wifi off yet or not)

View solution in original post

Oh thats a terrible catch!

Well to calm your nerves on that poe to switch issue. The Unifi switches check to see if power is needed to the device before pushing power to it. This way it won't fry electronics when ethernet is plugged in to a port that has PoE running. People all over the world use a PoE switch but have a PoE injector in it for some reason or another.

I would (and have) take female RJ-45 ends and punch it down to one end of the cable and then get a patch cable as long as you want it. Boom, done. Extended the cable to the PoE switch. Man Happy

I don't think PoE injectors pass data when not plugged in. I could be wrong on that.

View solution in original post

All Replies

You should get the 16 port PoE model switch. Then you can run the AP's off them and the cameras if they are PoE. The less you have to plugin, the better. I am not sure what a "BT" router is. If you don't want the USG features of DPI stats and other really cool stats, then you don't need one. The switch and AP's will run without it just fine.

Hi thank you for your advice- yes the 16poe looks the best solution. 

The bt router is a device which we get given by the telecom provider British Telecom, that plugs straight into our telephone line and has Ethernet and WiFi output. So I guess it works as a modem, gateway, and wireless transmitter all in one. 

So so that in mind, do I need the ubiquiti gateway too? 

Thanks 

Oh okay. Sorry about that. In the States we have the same thing. All in one routers and modems. thanks for letting me know what that was.

You don't need the gateway as well. If you were to get it for the statistics that it can do, which again can be very helpful in figuring out issues on the network sometimes, then you would put your BT in bridge mode, if it can do that and then it would just pass traffic from telephone lines to the USG and the USG would be the DHCP server for your network. But if you are not interested in all the stats and such, don't worry about it. I would just turn off the wifi portion of it so the controller can use the AP's you have instead. (Not sure if you have that BT wifi off yet or not)

Thanks so much- this whole thing is new (and a bit exciting!) to me and your reply has really clarified everything, also saving me buying an unnecessary gateway! 

Ill go ahead and buy the switch poe 16 and cloud key and that should be enough 👍🏽👍🏽😁

Your very welcome! Anytime you have a problem or question, this community will help any way it can. Good luck! Hope it goes well. Make sure to keep the cloud key on a battery backup of some kind. It tends to kill its databases very easily if the power is killed from it without shutting down properly.

Do you by chance have a machine that stays running all the time? You could install the controller on that if it stays connected to your network at your location. If not, then cloud key is still a good option.

Thanks again- another great tip! Do you mean a usb power bank for example?  I understand that the cloud key comes with an SD card for backup but a power outage often causes loss of memory. 

As it’s parents in laws’ house they don’t have a regular machine on. Apparently switch 16 comes with 3 years cloud access- is it any good?

So something like this is kinda what i had in mind:
https://www.amazon.com/APC-Protector-Charging-Back-UPS-BE600M1/dp/B01FWAZEIU/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?s=pc&ie...
The cloud key that is out for public right now is VERY sensitive to corrupting its database from power blips or blackouts for a few minutes. Its all over the forums actually. Plus that switch can be on backup as well, which, if its powering the cloud key can be even better.

You never want any tech to power down the wrong way. The newer gen cloud key in beta store has its own little battery backup built into it. So if the power is pulled, it counts down from 5, so I have read in the forum posts, and then does a safe shutdown. Very cool, can't wait for it to be in the public store. It also is an NVR for the security cameras they sell.

As for the cloud access. Thats free all years you want to use it. Where did it say that? Did you buy the elite service from UBNT? I havent paid for anything and I have my unifi.ubnt.com cloud access working just fine.

Ok I get it now ;-), UPS would be a great idea to keep the system low maintainence. That model you found on Amazon is one of the few that has a direct USB output which would be preferable. 

What a shame that the new cloud keys arent out yet- they sound awesome! 

I found an oficial reseller via the unbt website thats offering the switch 16 with 3 years free hosted cloud controller, which should tide me over. Cant understand why they are offering it for free? 

http://www.broadbandbuyer.com/products/25584-ubiquiti-us-16-150w-cloud/variants/#controller-type

Oh...hosted cloud controller. Sorry, I miss understood you. Thats my fault. So they give you a hosted controller for three years? Thats great! You might want to get the credentials for that and you can return the Cloud Key. The cloud key is just able to run the controller. So If you have it hosted somewhere else for 3 years, then you can return the cloud key and its one less thing to go down. You don't put two controllers on the same network anyway.

I hope this makes sense.

ok done- I'm nearly there! I called a ubiquiti official seller found the catch in using the cloud based controller is that apparently you have to pay a subscription for each WAP connected too!  

Last question- the clown builders have terminated the cat 6 very short into the POE injectors that you get with the AClite WAPs. 

What I want is to extend those CAT6 wires to run another 3-4m so they reach my new Switch 16 which has POE. God knows what would happen if I plugged a POE switch into a Power injector!  

I guess I could use junction boxes, but was just thinking do those POE injectors act as a junction box if they are unplugged from the power? I realise this might expose my total lack of knowlege on this matter but really enjoying getting to know a bit more! lol

A

Oh thats a terrible catch!

Well to calm your nerves on that poe to switch issue. The Unifi switches check to see if power is needed to the device before pushing power to it. This way it won't fry electronics when ethernet is plugged in to a port that has PoE running. People all over the world use a PoE switch but have a PoE injector in it for some reason or another.

I would (and have) take female RJ-45 ends and punch it down to one end of the cable and then get a patch cable as long as you want it. Boom, done. Extended the cable to the PoE switch. Man Happy

I don't think PoE injectors pass data when not plugged in. I could be wrong on that.

I have 4 buildings connected with 12 strand 50 micron fiber, I will be sending wireless access points as well as ip cameras streamed over ubiquiti antennas , back to a 64 channel recorder. Would like to use a 24 port but will I need SFP+ ?

@Commtechss- I am a little confused on your setup. So you have the fiber laid down but are streaming everything over some type of ubiquiti antenna?

As for the SFP+, i think it depends on how your setup is. If you are using all 24 ports for camears and APs and such, possibly need a larger switch anyways. So if you can let me (and everyone else know) more about your network, we can help out much more.