Diminishing Returns/Wireless AP Conflicts

I am looking to outfit a residence with 4 bedrooms, 1 open common room (kitchen, dining and living room in an open floor plan).

My current thought is use a UniFi Switch 8 (150W) with six UAP-IW-HDs. The switch, router, wiring plant would be in the garage or other out-of-site location and the 6 UAPs would be in each bedroom and two in the common area (or maybe one in the common area and another in the garage to reach the “Smart” flood light on the exterior as well as the provide WiFi connectivity for the smart car (for updates, etc).

Here are my questions… Money aside, is that too many APs? Are they going to conflict with one another? Really only two of the bedrooms are going to use the UAP-IW-HD’s wired switches so I could cut down if they are going to step on one another.

Other things to consider:

I’m not doing the wiring/cabling I’m going to bid that out, that being the case each room is going to have at least one drop.

Kudos: 4130
Solutions: 1065

Re: Diminishing Returns/Wireless AP Conflicts

Hello @jgoines,

Welcome to the community!

Could you post your floor plans?

Whats the size of your house?

Regards,

Glenn R.

Cloud Hosted Controllers | Glenn R. | UniFi Installation/Easy Update Scripts | UniFi-Video Installation Scripts | UniFi-VoIP Installation Scripts
USG-XG-8 • USG-4-PRO • USG
US-XG-16 • US-48-500W • US-24-POE-250W 2x • US-16-POE-150W 3x • US-24 • US-8-150W • US-8
UAP XG • UAP-SHD • UAP-HD • UAP-NanoHD 2x • UAP-AC-PRO 2x • UAP-AC-LITE • UAP-AC-IW • UAP-AC-M • UAP-AC-M-PRO 2x
UAS-XG • UCK-G2-PLUS • UCK-G2 • UCK
Established Member
Kudos: 703
Solutions: 209

Buy a 3 pack, see how your signal propagates. As far as the APs interfering with each other, that is where channel planning and TX power levels come in to play, there are 5 non-overlapping 80MHz channels as long as you can use the DFS channels.

Easy read article on 802.11ac channels;
http://www.revolutionwifi.net/revolutionwifi/2013/03/80211ac-channel-planning.html

Thank you @TCOA, that is really helpful.

[ Edited ]

Thank you for the reply: @AmazedMender16. I dont have the floor plans just yet, but basically it is that common room (kitchen, dinning room, living room) on one side and the bedrooms on the other side. House is about 1800 sq. foot.