Do I need to adopt Unifi AP if need to change the AP's admin IP address

Hello everybody:

As the subjiect, I am going to upgrade the network including the wireless, so all VLAN and IP ranges will be changed accordingly.

My question is if I can go ahead change the IP address of the wireless AP without running the adoption?

If yes, then before the network change, I can login to AP and change the ip addresses to the new ones, leave those settings as what they are, then go ahead change my network. Afterwards assumming all IP setup is correct, I should be able to access to the AP.

Your advices are highly appreciated.

Kudos: 4550
Solutions: 1183

Re: Do I need to adopt Unifi AP if need to change the AP's admin IP address

Hello @felixsummer,

No, the UAPs don't have their own UI.

Regards,

Glenn R.

Cloud Hosted Controllers | Glenn R. | UniFi Installation/Easy Update Scripts | UniFi-Video Installation Scripts | UniFi-VoIP Installation Scripts
USG-XG-8 • USG-4-PRO • USG
US-XG-16 • US-48-500W • US-24-POE-250W 2x • US-16-POE-150W 3x • US-24 • US-8-150W • US-8
UAP XG • UAP-SHD • UAP-HD • UAP-NanoHD 2x • UAP-AC-PRO 2x • UAP-AC-LITE • UAP-AC-IW • UAP-AC-M • UAP-AC-M-PRO 2x
UAS-XG • UCK-G2-PLUS • UCK-G2 • UCK

Hi Glenn:

Thanks for the response.

I mean I can access to all APs through UniFi Controller app. If I want to change the IP there, do I need to do adoption?

Hello @felixsummer,

You have to adopt the devices to manage them.

Why do you want to change the IP before adoption anyway?

Regards,

Glenn R.

Cloud Hosted Controllers | Glenn R. | UniFi Installation/Easy Update Scripts | UniFi-Video Installation Scripts | UniFi-VoIP Installation Scripts
US-XG-16 • US-48-500W • US-24-POE-250W 2x • US-16-POE-150W 3x • US-24 • US-8-150W • US-8
UAP XG • UAP-SHD • UAP-HD • UAP-NanoHD 2x • UAP-AC-PRO 2x • UAP-AC-LITE • UAP-AC-IW • UAP-AC-M • UAP-AC-M-PRO 2x

Hi Glenn:

I don't have to. My real question actually is if this adoption is necessary  when I only need to change the IP of the Access Point.

In this case, I can do it later.

Thanks

Hello @felixsummer,

The adoption is required for the UAP to funtion.

Regards,

Glenn R.

Got you, thank you!

Established Member
Kudos: 447
Solutions: 88

Why not use DHCP reservations for your APs? That way, you can change your network subnet at will, the APs get new IPs from DHCP, and as long as the set-inform URL is NOT using an IP address, then they should just reconnect to the controller where you already have them adopted.

I **always** use a set-inform with an FQDN in the URL so that the AP can find my controller using a DNS lookup, either on a local network with a DNS server, or for remote clients where the AP goes out and looks at public DNS, finds my DNS entry, and phones home to my controller.

The newer UAP-AC-XXXX units can work WITHOUT being adopted to a controller, but it's a bare-minimum setup with a cell phone app. I never do it...always to a controller for me.

Gregg

Hi Gregg:

This is great idea. I think I'm going to do that. Thanks for the great tip.

Otherwise, resetting the Unifi AP whenever the IP is changed is a pain, as I have to climb up to the ceiling to get the devices.

Established Member

It also helps if you move the AP to another location, local or remote. I configure all of my APs for myself, family, or clients, all on my LAN. I have a Windows domain for my home office, so I use a set-inform URL with an FQDN such as unifi.mypublicdomain.com in it. My local DNS has a CNAME for "unifi" that points to unifi.mypublicdomain.com with an internal A record, so unifi.mypublicdomain.com internally points to my Cloud Key on its own VLAN. I can place a new or factory reset AP onto my LAN, it looks for "unifi" and gets pointed to unifi.mypublicdomain.com, which points to the local VLAN IP of the controller. I adopt it, and I'm done!

I can take that AP offsite to a client, plug it in, and it phones home via a lookup of my public unifi.mypublicdomain.com DNS record. All I have to do is allow that inbound IP to forward 8080 and 3478 through my firewall, and the AP will show up in the controller. For clients who have their own local DNS servers, I set the "unifi" CNAME to point to unifi.mypublicdomain.com and they go to public DNS, then phone home, even if I factory reset the AP. 

Gregg

This is terrific! if I use set-inform URL, I don't have to reset the AP?

Also how do you let AP to phone your home?

Highlighted
Established Member

@felixsummer wrote:

"Also how do you let AP to phone your home?"

When I say "phone home", I am referring to the APs communicating with the controller after being taken offsite.

After being adopted on my LAN, and because they have a public FQDN in their set-inform URL, they can do a public DNS lookup of "unifi.mydomain.com" from teh set-inform URL to find my controller's WAN IP address, and then "phone home" to contact the controller on ports 8080 TCP and 3478 UDP. I only open those ports from my clients known IP addresses, and not the whole world, so my controller is not exposed to the whole Internet.

Gregg

Established Member

@felixsummer wrote:

In your case, you are changing your subnet that APs are on, so you'll still need to change their IP addresses. I would just do DHCP reservations NOW on the current subnet, and make sure the set-inform in each AP is an FQDN, not an IP address, that points to the controller's IP address.

Assuming you have a local DNS server, then when you set up the new subnet and the controller's IP changes, you just make DNS changes to the "unifi" CNAME and the unifi.mydomain.com domain's local A record, which you point to the controller's new IP address.

I can put my controller on any subnet or VLAN I desire, make a change to the LAN DNS server for its unifi.mydomain.com A record, and all local APs will find the controller and reconnect, no re-adoption needed.

Gregg