Highlighted
Kudos: 2

Do the UniFi AP's require Java?

I have seen several reviews mentioning the that the UniFi AP's need java installed to configure them. This seems almost unbelieveable as off the shelf junk doesn't, so why these would seems almost insane.

So can these be configured without java?

SuperUser
Kudos: 4890
Solutions: 1676

Re: Do the UniFi AP's require Java?

The controller requires Java to run.

You can configure the APs standalone with the Unifi App (on Android or iOS).

If you want to run the Unifi controller, then yes, you need Java for the machine that runs the controller.
I did it my way .... Man Happy
Established Member
Kudos: 297
Solutions: 43

You can also get the Cloud Key device instead if you don't want to deal with running the software on a local computer. 

Established Member
Kudos: 225
Solutions: 80

[ Edited ]

Junk (cheap AP with build-in GUI) stuff difficult to manage. Controller based solution much easier and efficient

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLyq--WMBac

Thanks,
Myky
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don`t blame the device as it`s always doing what you have asked it to do, this is not always the same as what you want.
Kudos: 2

[ Edited ]

For a minute the Cloud Key idea seemed like an option then I realised the added cost and headach.

I think I'll go find a better brand. The fact that they use java at all just plain scares me.

Established Member
Kudos: 225
Solutions: 80

get AWS instance on demand. You will pay little £££ if you do not want to buy CK.
Thanks,
Myky
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don`t blame the device as it`s always doing what you have asked it to do, this is not always the same as what you want.
Kudos: 138
Solutions: 5

[ Edited ]

you don't need java on the client/as a browser plugin. you just need java on the server running the controller software. which is absolutely no problem at all and not much different than requring node oder php or whatever.

Kudos: 131
Solutions: 48

Krik_ wrote:

I think I'll go find a better brand. The fact that they use java at all just plain scares me.

@Krik_ This just makes me laugh.  Java is used in TONS of ENTERPRISE IT equipment.  While the client version admittedly is a bit of a mess from a security standpoint, how UniFi uses it (and other ENTERPRISE products), it's much more secure than you realize.  Out of curiosity, what do you consider "better"?

SuperUser
Kudos: 9477
Solutions: 579
Contributions: 1

cainmp wrote:

Krik_ wrote:

@Krik_ This just makes me laugh.  Java is used in TONS of ENTERPRISE IT equipment.  While the client version admittedly is a bit of a mess from a security standpoint, how UniFi uses it (and other ENTERPRISE products), it's much more secure than you realize.  Out of curiosity, what do you consider "better"?

Iagree

Lots of FUD out there, and lots of reasons not to use Java, but this isn't one of them...

Jim

" How can anyone trust Scientists? If new evidence comes along, they change their minds! " Politician's joke (sort of...)
"Humans are allergic to change..They love to say, ‘We’ve always done it this way.’ I try to fight that. "Admiral Grace Hopper, USN, Computer Scientist
":It's not Rocket Science! - Oh wait, Actually it is... "NASA bumper sticker
":Terminology is important, but good information moreso IMHO ;-)": (me. actually ;-)
Established Member
Kudos: 297
Solutions: 43

Who wants to take bets on whether or not Krik_ is rocking an Android phone in a sweet belt holster? ;-)

Yes and I'm very dissapointed with this device and RETURNING it to the store TODAY. Giving my money to Cisco.

I really wanted to like it but, they chose to save money to develop their stuff with Java. I'm Not installing this Jcrap on any servers.

To some of you who are not aware that Java has a lot of vulnerabilities and the new browsers have dropped Java support for that reason.

Java is like a Herpes. stay away from it if you can.

Ubiquity, you have a fantastic hardware but you must stay away from saving on Java. Hire developers who can build for multiple platforms and pay them well. I would be willing to forkout extra cash for a great hardware like yours while not to have to deal with Java.  This one is going back in exchange for Cisco. Sorry!