Does anyone have a great Unifi experience in an office building?

We have been struggling for years to get a great wifi experience using Unifi.  It was fine when we were in a small building with no neighbors, but having other wifi signals around is causing major issues.  We're in a building with 2 floors and 2 other businesses, it's not super saturated.  We've even hired "experts" to come in and help us diagnose the issue to no avail.  A big part of the problem seems to be that as users move in the building the devices are not connecting to the closer APs and their device keeps retrying on a poor connection that then slows everyone else down on that AP.

I have tried nearly every configuration possible and I am coming up short.  Here is our configuration:

• Using a USG Pro.  Have tried on the EdgeRouter as well.
  • We are using a cloud key
  • 6 Unifi AP HDs
  • Each are on different and optimal channels set at medium power.  I constantly check neighboring signals to ensure we are not conflicting.  2G only uses channels 1, 6, and 11 and 5G uses non-DFS channels
  • Minimum RSSI set to -70 dBm with strict mode on
  • Both 2G (HT20) and 5G (VHT40) are enabled
  • Band steering is set to "Prefer 5G"
  • I've tried several firmware versions, nothing seems to help.  We are currently on 4.0.21.9965
  • Occasionally a device will become disconnected.  The light still shows it as connected.  The only way to bring it back online is to unplug it and plug it back in.
  • I can temporarily fix the slowness by resetting an AP.

I'm at my wits end and we're going to move to another system, most likely Meraki, unless I can get this working consistently and reliably.

Kudos: 4494
Solutions: 1167

Re: Does anyone have a great Unifi experience in an office building?

Hello @adamlytics,

Are the UAPs pingable when they disconnect?

Have you tried a factory reset of the units?

Disable band steering.

Also post your system config

Settings > Maintenance > Support Info > Show System Config

Regards,

Glenn R.

Cloud Hosted Controllers | Glenn R. | UniFi Installation/Easy Update Scripts | UniFi-Video Installation Scripts | UniFi-VoIP Installation Scripts
USG-XG-8 • USG-4-PRO • USG
US-XG-16 • US-48-500W • US-24-POE-250W 2x • US-16-POE-150W 3x • US-24 • US-8-150W • US-8
UAP XG • UAP-SHD • UAP-HD • UAP-NanoHD 2x • UAP-AC-PRO 2x • UAP-AC-LITE • UAP-AC-IW • UAP-AC-M • UAP-AC-M-PRO 2x
UAS-XG • UCK-G2-PLUS • UCK-G2 • UCK
Kudos: 29
Solutions: 8

Are you saying that both 2G and 5G are both set to medium power?  If so, try setting 2G to low power.

Greenshot 2019-05-15 12.48.21.png

Hello @adamlytics,

Why is 2.4GHz disabled on some UAPs?

Disable Minimum RSSI and Band Steering

Devices > UAP > Config > Band Steering

Devices > UAP > Config > Radios

Disable the Uplink Connectivity Monitor if you're not using wireless uplinks.

Settings > Site > Uplink Connectivity Monitor

Make sure Auto-Optimize Network is disabled.

Settings > Site > Auto-Optimize Network

I also recommend using the following Radio Settings...

Devices > UAP > Config > Radios

2.4 GHz
Channel width: HT20
Chanel: 1/6/11 | Choose one of these channels, a RF scan will help you choose the most clean one.
Transmit Power: Low ( Medium )

5GHz
Channel width: VHT40 | Optional VHT80/VHT160 might decrease wireless stability
Chanel: 36/44 | Optional (149/157) Choose one of these channels, a RF scan will help you choose the most clean one. Avoid using DFS Channels
Transmit Power: Medium ( High )

Regards,

Glenn R.

Cloud Hosted Controllers | Glenn R. | UniFi Installation/Easy Update Scripts | UniFi-Video Installation Scripts | UniFi-VoIP Installation Scripts
US-XG-16 • US-48-500W • US-24-POE-250W 2x • US-16-POE-150W 3x • US-24 • US-8-150W • US-8
UAP XG • UAP-SHD • UAP-HD • UAP-NanoHD 2x • UAP-AC-PRO 2x • UAP-AC-LITE • UAP-AC-IW • UAP-AC-M • UAP-AC-M-PRO 2x

We are trying to see if disabling 2G fixes some of the APs that have a lot of problems.

We have minimum RSSI on to try and drop clients that have weak signals and are preventing other clients' packets from sending. Is there a case to use this setting?

Hello @adamlytics,

Use minimum RSSI when you have sticky clients, 90% of the clients these days roam by themself.

Regards,

Glenn R.