Highlighted

Does the direction dual-band Antenna send regular wireless connections?

Sorry, this will probably seem like a dumb question but I just want to make sure 100%. I'm looking at the UMA-D to hopefully send a wifi signal across a long distance (300ft max) to another area for connectivity, without a different UMA-D being at the destination. Will the device work that way, or do I need to purchase two UMA-D's, have one at the source, one at the destination, and then connect some kind of AP to it? And if I do have to do that, can you connect the AP directly to the UMA-D without a switch between them?

Thanks for the help.

Established Member
Kudos: 213
Solutions: 61

Re: Does the direction dual-band Antenna send regular wireless connections?

With that much distance you are better off with an AirMAX bridge. I have the same distance, and bridge it with a pair of Nanobeam 5AC Gen2 units.

Established Member
Kudos: 262
Solutions: 43

You can connect regular WiFi devices to the UMA-D. I would like to know how far your connection does work as I will be doing about the same thing.

@RobbieH wrote:

With that much distance you are better off with an AirMAX bridge. I have the same distance, and bridge it with a pair of Nanobeam 5AC Gen2 units.

So basically set up a p2p connection with two of these bad boys, one on each end. And then on the second end I can just run a ethernet cable directly from the Nanobeam to an AP of my choice using a POE injector and that's it? And I won't need a switch or anything on the destination end

Established Member

Just keep in mind that the UMA-D might be able to cover that distance (weakly, probably), but then you are dependent on the device being able to send the signal back with its omnidirectional antenna.

Established Member

[ Edited ]

@bcurtischattzoo wrote:

@RobbieH wrote:

So basically set up a p2p connection with two of these bad boys, one on each end. And then on the second end I can just run a ethernet cable directly from the Nanobeam to an AP of my choice using a POE injector and that's it? And I won't need a switch or anything on the destination end

Yes, at the far end you can connect the AP. No switch needed.

Actually, you won't even need an injector. The injector for the Nanobeam will also power the AP through the passthrough port on the Nanobeam. I have that same exact setup. So on mine, it goes like this:

PoE Injector > Nanobeam > AP-AC-M

The Nanobeam is powered by 24v Passive, and the AP-AC-M is compatible with 24v.

Alright, then that will work just fine. We don't have anything set up like this currently so before I started buying stuff I wanted to make sure.

Also it wouldn't have 100% Line of sight. It would be under a large tent, I wonder if that would be an issue?
Established Member

I meant to bring that up, yes that is an issue, and it would be for any device - 5G is not at all happy with anything in the way. Can you set a pole or something on top of or outside the tent?

Established Member

Thinking... it might make it through a tent. These things have a very powerful, narrow beam (nanobeam!) but that might require some testing. I'd still try to get it outside though.