Re: Easy UBNT: UniFi Installer | Setup and Secure Your Controller

@skandshus wrote:

“Add support for ucrm maybe?Man Happy

Thanks! I forgot about that product. Man Wink

--

Klint

Primary Innovator at Sprocket Technology
Ubiquiti Enterprise Wireless Admin

Setup and secure your UniFi SDN Controller the easy way! Check out the Easy UBNT project and view the source on GitHub. Also, try Vultr for hosting your cloud controller!
Kudos: 64
Solutions: 10

All,

Version 0.5.3 is official, with many fixes, changes and improvements over several commits:

• Fixed __eubnt_add_ubuntu_sources function to check if running Ubuntu
  • Fixed bug with __eubnt_is_package_installed function where package names weren't being checked correctly
  • Fixed issue where certbot sources and packages weren't installing correctly (kudos to @srmorris2)
  • Fixed __eubnt_install_unifi function to skip reinstalling current version when upgrading
  • Improved check for machine IP address, now offers choice if multiple IP addresses are detected (kudos again to @srmorris2)
  • Changed flow of __eubnt_setup_certbot function
  • Changed __eubnt_setup_ssh_server to not suggest blocking root from SSH if running script as root
  • Added TLSv1.2 tweak to system.properties
  • Added __eubnt_get_latest_unifi_version function to get latest minor version number

Check it out!

--

Klint

Setup and secure your UniFi SDN Controller the easy way! Check out the Easy UBNT project and view the source on GitHub. Also, try Vultr for hosting your cloud controller!
Kudos: 4

A big thanks to @SprockTech for building a super simple script for getting things installed! I started with a fresh EC2 server and after tweaking a few bugs I had a solid Unifi server running with SSL applied! Now I just need to transfer my devices over so I can get their secure portal back up and running.

Thank you @srmorris2 for helping to improve it!

--

Klint

Re: Easy UBNT: Install, Update and Secure the UniFi SDN Controller

hello, would this work on raspberry pi 3 b+ running raspbian stretch? I'm using that pi for unifi, pi hole and pi vpn

thanks!

[ Edited ]

Hey @lpdescamps,

It should, though I've not be able to test it myself. @EST-IT was going to test it on a Pi, but I haven't heard back yet. If you try it, please report back and I'll make changes to the script accordingly.

Thanks!

--

Klint

All,

A minor update has been released, although it seems like a major update to me. Man LOL We're now at 0.5.5, here is an overview of the changes:

• Upgraded stable UniFi SDN release to 5.9
  • Debugging and better error handling throughout
  • Added comments throughout
  • Enhanced __eubnt_run_command function to install required package on the fly if command isn't found
  • Enhanced __eubnt_run_command function to return error if command fails and return variable if needed
  • Enhanced __eubnt_setup_sources to optionally just setup OS sources
  • Enhanced __eubnt_install_unifi_version function to install non-interactively
  • Changed __eubnt_install_updates_utils function to only run dist-upgrade if user wants to
  • Added detection of configured hostname (FQDN)
  • Added port probing to check if UniFi ports are open to the Internet
  • Enhanced experimental support for ARM architecture

As far as I can tell, UniFi SDN "stable" is no longer 5.8 but is now at 5.9, in fact 5.8 isn't even mentioned here. Does anyone know and differently?

Check out the commit on GitHub here:

https://github.com/sprockteam/easy-ubnt/commit/7461e4f5831a16ae72e49130576ee71946b24b81

Like I said, it felt like at major update, but I kept it at 0.5.x because I want to get backup integrated into the script for version 0.6.x.

Let me know if anyone has any feedback. The biggest feature addition is the a port probe check to see if the the required TCP ports are open to the Internet. Also, I tested this in a Raspberry Pi emulator but would welcome feedback from actual RPi users.

Thanks!

--

Klint

@lpdescamps wrote:

hello, would this work on raspberry pi 3 b+ running raspbian stretch? I'm using that pi for unifi, pi hole and pi vpn

thanks!

I've tested the latest version (0.5.5) in an emulator using Raspbian Stretch and it worked for me. I'd be interested to know any feedback from yourself or other RPi users.

Thanks!

--

Klint

All,

Just some general direction and thoughts on this project, feedback is welcome:

• I've updated my original post to say that anyone who uses a recommended Linux distribution can install UniFi SDN easily, no need for a script
  • That said, the UniFi installation package limits the dependency on MongoDB to versions below 3.4.x, which is already a problem for newer versions of Ubuntu
  • The official MongoDB repository doesn't really support installing 3.4.x on newer OS versions, they want you to go to 4.0.x
  • Myself and others have used UniFi SDN with later versions of MongoDB and it works, so I don't see why UBNT has this restriction
  • Therefore I'd like to include an option to modify the official UniFi SDN installation package to allow for later versions of MongoDB to be installed
  • Alternatively, Docker could be used to solve this problem

Thoughts? Anything I should be aware of related to this? Thanks!

--

Klint

All,

Truly a minor update this time. Just added an option to view the release notes before installing a new UniFi SDN version. Man Wink

Check out the commit, now at version 0.5.6:

https://github.com/sprockteam/easy-ubnt/commit/1717548e1d534eb30274d24d5a9a11640ead1168

@slooffmaster Do you have any experience with the API found here?

https://fw-update.ubnt.com/api/firmware

It's interesting, looks like UBNT distributes information about their products using this.

--

Klint

Kudos: 4

@SprockTech I was just thinking, does this setup regular renewal of the certbot cert? Or would re-running the script allow for renewal? Is it possible to setup a scheduled renewal?

[ Edited ]

@srmorris2 wrote:

@SprockTech I was just thinking, does this setup regular renewal of the certbot cert? Or would re-running the script allow for renewal? Is it possible to setup a scheduled renewal?

Hey @srmorris2, thanks for the great questions!

Edit: Simply put, if you've setup Let's Encrypt using this script then you shouldn't have to do anything else, it should automatically renew by itself.

For the benefit of everyone else, I'll try and give a bit more detail:

• The default behavior of certbot is to automatically renew certificates, so yes this script will setup a regular renewal of the cert.
  • If you've already setup Let's Encrypt (with or without this script) then this script should detect that and give you the option to force a renewal if the cert expiration is 30 days or more. In addition, the script will inject the needed pre/post renewal hooks to setup the cert in UniFi if you've setup Let's Encrypt previously without this script. It will also check to see if you have any separate crontab entries that could be conflicting with this script and alert you if any are found.
  • Again, the default behavior of certbot is to automatically renew, so unless you've done something unusual, you should already be setup to auto renew. If you run this script, then you should be able to gain the benefit of the pre/post renewal script hooks for your existing Let's Encrypt setup to get the cert into the UniFi SDN keystore. Make sense?

To test this, you can check the renewal config file, before script run, with a command something like this:

sudo cat /etc/letsencrypt/renewal/<your.unifi.fqdn>.conf

You may get an output like this:

# renew_before_expiry = 30 days
version = 0.10.2
archive_dir = /etc/letsencrypt/archive/<your.unifi.fqdn>
cert = /etc/letsencrypt/live/<your.unifi.fqdn>/cert.pem
privkey = /etc/letsencrypt/live/<your.unifi.fqdn>/privkey.pem
chain = /etc/letsencrypt/live/<your.unifi.fqdn>/chain.pem
fullchain = /etc/letsencrypt/live/<your.unifi.fqdn>/fullchain.pem

# Options used in the renewal process
[renewalparams]
authenticator = standalone
post_hook = 
account = <account>
pre_hook = 
installer = None

After you run this script, then check the config file again, you should notice the pre_hook and post_hook values should say something like this:

pre_hook = /usr/lib/easy-ubnt/letsencrypt/pre-hook_<your.unifi.fqdn>.sh
post_hook = /usr/lib/easy-ubnt/letsencrypt/post-hook_<your.unifi.fqdn>.sh

Let me know if you have any more questions. Thanks!

--

Klint

P.S. The current relavant script code can be found here:

https://github.com/sprockteam/easy-ubnt/blob/1717548e1d534eb30274d24d5a9a11640ead1168/unifi-installe...

Veteran Member
Kudos: 1261
Solutions: 218

@SprockTech wrote:

All,

Truly a minor update this time. Just added an option to view the release notes before installing a new UniFi SDN version. Man Wink

Check out the commit, now at version 0.5.6:

https://github.com/sprockteam/easy-ubnt/commit/1717548e1d534eb30274d24d5a9a11640ead1168

@slooffmaster Do you have any experience with the API found here?

https://fw-update.ubnt.com/api/firmware

It's interesting, looks like UBNT distributes information about their products using this.

--

Klint

Cool, need to have a look through this new repo!

That API route is new to me but doesn't surprise me they have something like this in place to inform all the controllers in the field of updates etc...

My perspective on the PHP API client class has always been to leverage the controller API, nothing else. Which is why I haven't looked into this earlier, but it's nice to know this actually exists.Icon Lol

Art of WiFi
Check out our UniFi API browser tool on GitHub. The PHP API client which it uses, can be found here on GitHub.
Details on our UniFi Device Search tool can be found here.

@slooffmaster,

Yeah, this wouldn't apply to your PHP API client for the controller, but could be handy for other reasons. Man Wink

I'm currently using it to grab the release notes, but the controller Debian packages for the stable release channel can also be found through that. I'm still exploring to see if I can get the controller Debian packages for the public beta release channel from that or anything else. If anyone knows this already, please let me know, thanks! Man Happy

--

Klint

@slooffmaster,

I completely forgot, you actually can use the controller API to get the release notes if you want, that's where I first noticed it. It would look something like this:

GET https://unifi:8443/api/s/default/stat/fwupdate/get-release-notes?version=5.9.29

Typical login cookie in the header. Response body would be something like this:

Spoiler
{
    "data": [
        {
            "md": "### 5.9.29 Stable Release\n\n#### New Features:\n* New Dashboard.\n* IPS Dashboard.\n* IPS Signature Suppression.\n* Add support IPS signature categories control.\n* Add per radio uplink control.\n* Add speed and duplex config for USG interfaces.\n* Add Fallback VLAN support for USW when using 802.1X.\n* Add local SSO login.\n* Add Controller HD and Micro SD free space monitoring to admin notification settings.\n* Analytic Reporting.\n* New Cloud Access integration.\n\n#### Controller bug fixes/changes since 5.8:\n* Add tooltip for Hotspot RADIUS authorization.\n* Add description to DPI blocking rules.\n* Add info about IDS to IPS warnings in Settings.\n* Add tooltip with an explanation why clients are blocked on dashboard.\n* Add modal to confirm override inform url in Settings/Controller.\n* Add enable port forwarding option.\n* Add firewall default match log control.\n* Add support for IPv6 on IPS view.\n* Add WAN Class of Service QoS tagging support, for Google Fiber and similar fiber ISPs that require it.\n* Add No-IP to the list of dynamic DNS providers.\n* Add Download Device Info button to get device information from backend cache.\n* Add tooltip for DHCP option 43.\n* Add `Remove Payment` button to transactions list.\n* Add `Remove Personal Data` button to transactions list.\n* Add: Maps labels - Reset options to All.\n* Add TX power and EIRP to detailed view.\n* Add validation preventing duplicate fixed IPs.\n* Add STP block port event.\n* Allow setting Management VLAN at Access Points.\n* Allow customizing AC-IW/Pro Ethernet port profile.\n* Dashboard - Port Usage widget: adjust tooltips to use new style and position automatically.\n* Import locally configured speed/duplex settings during USG adoption.\n* Topology chart - in case of low depth make the chart wider.\n* Hide IoT icon on dashboard.\n* Hide IPS side navigation item when no USG is present.\n* Hide Fast Roaming feature for WEP networks.\n* Performance improvements.\n* Update translations.\n* Anomalies pane squashed when properties pane is shown.\n* Remove duplicated left border for Property Panel.\n* Remove TKIP only option from WPA security mode.\n* RF Environment RSSI Histogram not visible.\n* Dashboard: fix case when showing tooltip caused dashboard to scroll to top.\n* Fix DPI app IDs with multiple items duplicated in DPI group.\n* Fix debugging metrics tooltip.\n* Fix RADIUS Profile tooltip in WPA Enterprise settings.\n* Fix AP Statistics Graph - some dots are not responsible.\n* Fix: Moving firewall rules does not work on Firefox.\n* Fix UAP-XG/BaseStationXG PHY reporting (also requires firmware 3.9.55 or later).\n* Fix IPS/IDS response body support. \n* Fix statistics reporting on UAP when all radios are disabled.\n* Fix known causes of `Decrypt Error` for all USGs.\n* Fix highlighting menu in Settings.\n* Fix displaying IP address of gateway discovered by Discovery Tool.\n* Fix device buttons on Site Overview.\n* Fix a potential bug affecting autobackup on Windows 10.\n* Fix a bug preventing the ability to download Device Info via the UniFi Cloud Access tie-in.\n* Fix inform IP logging to minimize spam.\n* Fix a bug which may cause `unifi.yourdomain.com` to be provisioned to devices for both the management and STUN URLs.\n* Fix a bug which affected MAC Authentication Bypass provisioning on UAPs.\n* Fix refreshing Assoc. widget and Dashboard Navigation optimization.\n* Fix overlapping icons inside nav menu.\n* Fix: AP name in AP Retry Rate chart tooltip is sometimes missing.\n* Fix duplicated OAuth redirect URIs.\n* Prevent AP Retry Rate plot higher than 100% for old firmware.\n* Fix incorrect height of empty dashboard widgets on a narrow screen.\n* Prevent Association Failures, WiFi Clients and Time To Associate widgets to interfere with each other.\n* Fix case when Clients tab in Property Panel is not working.\n* Fix some bugs in Fast Roaming provisioning.\n* Fix rogue count in Radio AI.\n* Fix a migration issue.\n* Topology: truncate ESSID if too long (more than 14 chars).\n* Topology: fix reported LAN clients when using LACP on USW.\n* Fix controller settings for reporter.\n* Fix translations for unavailable modules on Custom Dashboard.\n* Fix case when 'Edit widgets' button is (not) visible when it should(n't) be.\n* Reset button in Site settings not available when Download/Upload values were changed via Pre-populate option.\n* Fix AP downlinks accordion heading.\n* Fix a condition which may prevent the admin's ability to disable UniFi Cloud access.\n* Fix stacking \"Devices with upgrades\".\n* Dashboard Health Status should not indicate devices that are Disconnected during FW Upgrade.\n* Fix pagination on DPI Category view.\n* Fix: DPI Category view - categories not clickable.\n* Fix missing translation for disabled network.\n* Fix that WAN Interface in UPnP is not visible.\n* Fix empty stats when using WAN2 interface.\n* Improve binaryPrefix service to work with negative numbers.\n* Improve client list performance.\n* Improve accuracy of reported wireless uplink candidates.\n* Scheduled upgrades time ranges should respect 12/24h format settings from preferences.\n* \"Show Pending Devices\" should be enabled by default for all new Admins.\n* Tweak X axis tick resolution (switch from weeks to months at 4 months breakpoint, not 6 as was earlier).\n* Fix missing time range in chart's tooltip in case of 5 minutes granularity.\n* Fix console error related with coverage on Google maps.\n* Fix AC-EDU Streams condensed list display.\n* Fix a bug with AC-IW/IW-Pro provisioning which caused traffic to stop forwarding when the management VLAN and a WLAN VLAN are the same.\n* Fix RADIUS accounting for switching products.\n* Update free space alert.\n* Switch port tooltip incorrect offset and location.\n* AP Mesh -> custom Antenna gain: Missing validation error when no value specified.\n* Device list - BSSID tooltip cut off sometimes.\n* Set alert email HTML encoding to UTF-8.\n* Don't exclude all port forwarded ports from policy routing.\n* Don't mark `Managed By Other` devices as upgradable.\n* Take locally configured WAN VLAN ID into account when adopting USG.\n* Raise minimum firmware version for UAP/USW to 3.7.21.\n* Raise minimum firmware version for USG-XG to 4.4.27.\n* Various bug fixes and improvements.\n\n#### Recommended Firmware:\n* UAP-AC-Lite/LR/Pro/EDU/M/M-PRO/IW/IW-Pro | [binary](https://dl.ubnt.com/unifi/firmware/U7PG2/3.9.42.9152/BZ.qca956x.v3.9.42.9152.180709.2255.bin) | [md5sum](https://dl.ubnt.com/unifi/firmware/U7PG2/3.9.42.9152/BZ.qca956x.v3.9.42.9152.180709.2255.bin.md5sum) | [sha256sum](https://dl.ubnt.com/unifi/firmware/U7PG2/3.9.42.9152/BZ.qca956x.v3.9.42.9152.180709.2255.bin.sha256sum)\n* UAP-HD/SHD/XG/BaseStationXG | [binary](https://dl.ubnt.com/unifi/firmware/U7HD/3.9.42.9152/BZ.ipq806x.v3.9.42.9152.180709.2243.bin) | [md5sum](https://dl.ubnt.com/unifi/firmware/U7HD/3.9.42.9152/BZ.ipq806x.v3.9.42.9152.180709.2243.bin.md5sum) | [sha256sum](https://dl.ubnt.com/unifi/firmware/U7HD/3.9.42.9152/BZ.ipq806x.v3.9.42.9152.180709.2243.bin.sha256sum)\n* UAP-nanoHD/IW-HD | [binary](https://dl.ubnt.com/unifi/firmware/U7NHD/3.9.42.9152/BZ.mt7621.v3.9.42.9152.180709.2240.bin) | [md5sum](https://dl.ubnt.com/unifi/firmware/U7NHD/3.9.42.9152/BZ.mt7621.v3.9.42.9152.180709.2240.bin.md5sum) | [sha256sum](https://dl.ubnt.com/unifi/firmware/U7NHD/3.9.42.9152/BZ.mt7621.v3.9.42.9152.180709.2240.bin.sha256sum)\n* UAP, UAP-LR, UAP-OD, UAP-OD5 | [binary](https://dl.ubnt.com/unifi/firmware/BZ2/3.9.27.8537/BZ.ar7240.v3.9.27.8537.180317.1223.bin) | [md5sum](https://dl.ubnt.com/unifi/firmware/BZ2/3.9.27.8537/BZ.ar7240.v3.9.27.8537.180317.1223.bin.md5sum) | [sha256sum](https://dl.ubnt.com/unifi/firmware/BZ2/3.9.27.8537/BZ.ar7240.v3.9.27.8537.180317.1223.bin.sha256sum)\n* UAP-v2, UAP-LR-v2 | [binary](https://dl.ubnt.com/unifi/firmware/U2Sv2/3.9.27.8537/BZ.qca9342.v3.9.27.8537.180317.1222.bin) | [md5sum](https://dl.ubnt.com/unifi/firmware/U2Sv2/3.9.27.8537/BZ.qca9342.v3.9.27.8537.180317.1222.bin.md5sum) | [sha256sum](https://dl.ubnt.com/unifi/firmware/U2Sv2/3.9.27.8537/BZ.qca9342.v3.9.27.8537.180317.1222.bin.sha256sum)\n* UAP-IW | [binary](https://dl.ubnt.com/unifi/firmware/U2IW/3.9.27.8537/BZ.qca933x.v3.9.27.8537.180317.1223.bin) | [md5sum](https://dl.ubnt.com/unifi/firmware/U2IW/3.9.27.8537/BZ.qca933x.v3.9.27.8537.180317.1223.bin.md5sum) | [sha256sum](https://dl.ubnt.com/unifi/firmware/U2IW/3.9.27.8537/BZ.qca933x.v3.9.27.8537.180317.1223.bin.sha256sum)\n* UAP-Pro | [binary](https://dl.ubnt.com/unifi/firmware/U7P/3.9.27.8537/BZ.ar934x.v3.9.27.8537.180317.1223.bin) | [md5sum](https://dl.ubnt.com/unifi/firmware/U7P/3.9.27.8537/BZ.ar934x.v3.9.27.8537.180317.1223.bin.md5sum) | [sha256sum](https://dl.ubnt.com/unifi/firmware/U7P/3.9.27.8537/BZ.ar934x.v3.9.27.8537.180317.1223.bin.sha256sum)\n* UAP-OD+ | [binary](https://dl.ubnt.com/unifi/firmware/U2HSR/3.9.27.8537/BZ.ar7240.v3.9.27.8537.180317.1223.bin) | [md5sum](https://dl.ubnt.com/unifi/firmware/U2HSR/3.9.27.8537/BZ.ar7240.v3.9.27.8537.180317.1223.bin.md5sum) | [sha256sum](https://dl.ubnt.com/unifi/firmware/U2HSR/3.9.27.8537/BZ.ar7240.v3.9.27.8537.180317.1223.bin.sha256sum)\n* USW | [binary](https://dl.ubnt.com/unifi/firmware/US24P250/3.9.42.9152/US.bcm5334x.v3.9.42.9152.180709.2252.bin) | [md5sum](https://dl.ubnt.com/unifi/firmware/US24P250/3.9.42.9152/US.bcm5334x.v3.9.42.9152.180709.2252.bin.md5sum) | [sha256sum](https://dl.ubnt.com/unifi/firmware/US24P250/3.9.42.9152/US.bcm5334x.v3.9.42.9152.180709.2252.bin.sha256sum)\n* US-L2-POE | [binary](https://dl.ubnt.com/unifi/firmware/US24PL2/3.9.42.9152/US2.bcm5334x.v3.9.42.9152.180709.2253.bin) | [md5sum](https://dl.ubnt.com/unifi/firmware/US24PL2/3.9.42.9152/US2.bcm5334x.v3.9.42.9152.180709.2253.bin.md5sum) | [sha256sum](https://dl.ubnt.com/unifi/firmware/US24PL2/3.9.42.9152/US2.bcm5334x.v3.9.42.9152.180709.2253.bin.sha256sum)\n* US-16-XG | [binary](https://dl.ubnt.com/unifi/firmware/USXG/3.9.42.9152/US.bcm5341x.v3.9.42.9152.180709.2252.bin) | [md5sum](https://dl.ubnt.com/unifi/firmware/USXG/3.9.42.9152/US.bcm5341x.v3.9.42.9152.180709.2252.bin.md5sum) | [sha256sum](https://dl.ubnt.com/unifi/firmware/USXG/3.9.42.9152/US.bcm5341x.v3.9.42.9152.180709.2252.bin.sha256sum)\n* USW-Multi | [binary](https://dl.ubnt.com/unifi/firmware/USMULT/3.9.42.9152/US.MULT.3.9.42.9152.180709.2344.bin) | [md5sum](https://dl.ubnt.com/unifi/firmware/USMULT/3.9.42.9152/US.MULT.3.9.42.9152.180709.2344.bin.md5sum) | [sha256sum](https://dl.ubnt.com/unifi/firmware/USMULT/3.9.42.9152/US.MULT.3.9.42.9152.180709.2344.bin.sha256sum)\n* USG | [binary](https://dl.ubnt.com/unifi/firmware/UGW3/4.4.29.5124210/UGW3.v4.4.29.5124210.tar) | [md5sum](https://dl.ubnt.com/unifi/firmware/UGW3/4.4.29.5124210/UGW3.v4.4.29.5124210.tar.md5sum) | [sha256sum](https://dl.ubnt.com/unifi/firmware/UGW3/4.4.29.5124210/UGW3.v4.4.29.5124210.tar.sha256sum)\n* USG-Pro-4 | [binary](https://dl.ubnt.com/unifi/firmware/UGW4/4.4.29.5124212/UGW4.v4.4.29.5124212.tar) | [md5sum](https://dl.ubnt.com/unifi/firmware/UGW4/4.4.29.5124212/UGW4.v4.4.29.5124212.tar.md5sum) | [sha256sum](https://dl.ubnt.com/unifi/firmware/UGW4/4.4.29.5124212/UGW4.v4.4.29.5124212.tar.sha256sum)\n* USG-XG-8 | [binary](https://dl.ubnt.com/unifi/firmware/UGWXG/4.4.29.5124239/UGWXG.v4.4.29.5124239.tar) | [md5sum](https://dl.ubnt.com/unifi/firmware/UGWXG/4.4.29.5124239/UGWXG.v4.4.29.5124239.tar.md5sum) | [sha256sum](https://dl.ubnt.com/unifi/firmware/UGWXG/4.4.29.5124239/UGWXG.v4.4.29.5124239.tar.sha256sum)"
        }
    ],
    "meta": {
        "rc": "ok"
    }
}

--

Klint

@Shadowed,

You're free to discuss Docker in this thread. Man Wink I'm planning on adding the UniFi Docker project from goofball222 to this script in a future release. In the meantime, you should be able to get started with something like this:

docker run --name unifi -d \
  -p 3478:3478/udp -p 8080:8080 -p 8443:8443 \
  -p 8880:8880 -p 8843:8843 \
  goofball222/unifi

Hope that helps!

--

Klint

Kudos: 26
Solutions: 1

Thanks, acually I think I am going to attempt this on a VM. I have to Qnaps and never crossed my mind to have a VM run on one to host the controller. I haven't read all the way though yet; will this script do automatic updates? 

@Shadowed wrote:

Thanks, acually I think I am going to attempt this on a VM. I have to Qnaps and never crossed my mind to have a VM run on one to host the controller. I haven't read all the way though yet; will this script do automatic updates? 

Good question! Currently this script is relying on the APT package manager, so if you use this script then you can do 'apt-get dist-upgrade' like normal and get the latest minor version of Java 8, Mongo and UniFi. The updates wouldn't be automatic though, you'd need to run that apt-get command manually. The 'unattended-upgrades' package is installed by this script, but by default it will only automatically install security patches from your Linux distribution.

--

Klint

@Shadowed,

And if you run the script again, it will give you the option to do the upgrades as well, if any are available.

--

Klint