Kudos: 1

Enable connectivity monitor and wireless uplink

Hello, I see this subject has been well-mentioned in these formums.  This post was particularly interesting:

https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-Wireless/Issue-with-connectivity-monitor-and-wireless-uplink-AP-...

I am interested in the comment: "If you enable the feature, any network connectivity issues with the default gateway will make the APs go Isolated. If you don't want this to happen, disable the feature. If you want to keep the feature enabled, but don't want reboots of your gateway to trigger Isolated mode, set a Custom IP other than your Gateway to monitor."

My issue is this, but I have not yet confirmed 100%...

We are running controller version 5.4.11

I had an issue in one area of my network last night (which has 2 AP AC LITE APs connected). I rebooted my M5s (which provides backhaul to those 2 APs) meanwhile the power was still connected to the AC LITEs.

These particular AC LITEs are close enough to other AC LITEs (less than 50meters), which have their own M5 P2Ps for their backhaul (which were UP and working with users connected at the time of the original M5 reboot). I don't have any of the APs (talking about above) with mesh / wireless uplink enabled.

I am not 100% sure yet, but I think that I caused a loop in the network after the first M5 reboot, as most of my unifi APs started going "isolated" then "disconnected" one by one - even in other areas not mentioned in the two areas above.  Even now (12 hours later), I see some APs isolated, and others disconnected.  Some AP status seems to change every now and then.

But I am a little confused about the feature in the controller: "Enable connectivity monitor and wireless uplink"

I understand it is ENABLED by default in the controller. Also, : I have the option "Enable automatic uplink failover" OFF
1) My understanding was that this feature "Enable connectivity monitor" would let the APs stop transmitting when they did not detect an internet connection. Is that correct?

2) seems like there are TWO features in this one setting in the unifi controller:
- "Enable connectivity monitor"
- "Enable wireless uplink"
Is it two different functions in the one option?

If so, does the feature ALSO completely disable the possibility to make wireless uplinks with the unifi APs I have within my network?
In another part of my network, I do have 1 single AC LITE making a wireless uplink to another AC LITE. So I don't necessarily want to turn OFF the feature: "Enable connectivity monitor and wireless uplink".

I hope someone is able to eleborate a little more so I can understand better what is going on (my network is still half down), and to know what I need to do with the "Enable connectivity monitor and wireless uplink" feature.

Thanks!

Kudos: 4
Solutions: 2

Re: Enable connectivity monitor and wireless uplink

Did you get an answer to this question? I too would like some clarification!

I have many sites being hosted on an AWS cloud “controller 5.5.24” with one site needing a wireless uplink for an outdoor 2.4g unit. So I assume I would have to leave it enabled for that site only but the rest it should be disabled? Yes? No? I’m seeing mixed statements when I do a search.

Highlighted
Veteran Member
Kudos: 1335
Solutions: 351

Re: Enable connectivity monitor and wireless uplink

[ Edited ]

@sdg72 wrote:

Did you get an answer to this question? I too would like some clarification!

I have many sites being hosted on an AWS cloud “controller 5.5.24” with one site needing a wireless uplink for an outdoor 2.4g unit. So I assume I would have to leave it enabled for that site only but the rest it should be disabled? Yes? No? I’m seeing mixed statements when I do a search.

Yes, disable on all sites unless you need it, in which case enable it only for that site.  Also, you can change the gateway that is tested to a custom IP that you know will always be available.