Highlighted
Kudos: 86
Solutions: 9
Accepted Solution

Enabling access to printer

I want my guests and few other LANs I have access to printer on a different LAN/VLAN.

I can not put a fixed IP address to the printer.

The problem is - nowhere it's allowing me to setup access via MAC or hostname, even in firewall - LAN_IN for example. 

Is there a way? Once again - I can't put a static IP address to the printer.

Did the answer helped you ? if yes, i would love your kudos on it

Accepted Solutions
Emerging Member
Kudos: 45
Solutions: 5

Re: Enabling access to printer

@bmninada

Can you not use a static on the printer due to limitations on the printer? or because of a network setup challenge? 

You could but the printer on its own network, and allow guest communication to that network/subnet? Without understanding why the printer needs to be dynamic, its hard to give solutions. whats the senario you have? 

View solution in original post

Emerging Member

Try putting it on its own network with a subnet of /31 that will only give it one 1 every time. Then make Rules to allow access across other networks. 

as for your errors, that sounds more like blocked ports/protocols? Did you have any filtering applied to the reserved IP? 

View solution in original post

All Replies
Emerging Member

@bmninada

Can you not use a static on the printer due to limitations on the printer? or because of a network setup challenge? 

You could but the printer on its own network, and allow guest communication to that network/subnet? Without understanding why the printer needs to be dynamic, its hard to give solutions. whats the senario you have? 

The printer can't take a static IP, unfortunately. That's why asking.

It's an old printer but there's a HUGE sentimental value attached to it in my family. So hate to replace it. Its currently connected to a USG-8 port with LAN = WORK_LAN. My guests and another network is in GUEST_LAN and TRUST_LAN and for which wanted to give access to the printer. 

Emerging Member

[ Edited ]

@bmninada

If the printer is the limitation of a static IP, you could assign it a fixed IP via the USG or other router. Then allow a firewall rule and add it as an exeption on the guest portal. 

[ Edited ]

That's the thing I tried but printer not connecting. Error messages in printer logs

- ERR xxx: SMB PROTCL FAIL

- ERR xxx: BOOTP PROTCL FAIL.

How on Earth its figuring out the router defined a static IP for it, no idea. I rebooted printer.

Emerging Member

Try putting it on its own network with a subnet of /31 that will only give it one 1 every time. Then make Rules to allow access across other networks. 

as for your errors, that sounds more like blocked ports/protocols? Did you have any filtering applied to the reserved IP? 

No - nothing.

I think I will just go with new network and have just the printer in it. Create it like you said. Thanks a lot. That works for me.

I've sorted this issue out by creating a seperate SSID and unticked APPLY GUEST POLICIES.

APPLYING GUEST POLICIES (Under - Wireless Network) blocks all the traffic to printers.

Dunno what your setup is but its basically firewall thing - as far as my understanding.

Matt