Scheduled maintenance: Community available only in read-only mode until 6:00 AM (PT)

Error discovering AP using Unifi Controller Wizard

Hello -

I'm attempting to discover a UAP unit (believe it's not the UAP-LR - sort of coming in late to the party) using the wizard from the UniFi Controller 1.2.0 console. I've been told by another administrator that he's successfully detected the AP using the Mac-equivalent software. When wizard tries to discover the AP's,I receive the following message:

Please select the devices you'd like to config.

No devices has been discovered. Make sure the devices are on the same L2/switch network and try again.

At this point I cannot specify the IP of the device and the wizard goes on to ask for configuration settings such as an SSID and security key.

What little documentation I've found for UniFi doesn't specifically reference this error message so I'm unable to speculate the root cause for the behavior. Could somebody tell me if they've seen this sort of issue before, and if the console is able to detect AP's in other subnets as we're theoretically planning a company-wide roll-out of UniFi devices at other locations.

Thanks folks, I appreciate your time.

Re: Error discovering AP using Unifi Controller Wizard

Hello -

I'm attempting to discover a UAP unit (believe it's not the UAP-LR - sort of coming in late to the party) using the wizard from the UniFi Controller 1.2.0 console. I've been told by another administrator that he's successfully detected the AP using the Mac-equivalent software. When wizard tries to discover the AP's,I receive the following message:

Please select the devices you'd like to config.

No devices has been discovered. Make sure the devices are on the same L2/switch network and try again.

At this point I cannot specify the IP of the device and the wizard goes on to ask for configuration settings such as an SSID and security key.

What little documentation I've found for UniFi doesn't specifically reference this error message so I'm unable to speculate the root cause for the behavior. Could somebody tell me if they've seen this sort of issue before, and if the console is able to detect AP's in other subnets as we're theoretically planning a company-wide roll-out of UniFi devices at other locations.

Thanks folks, I appreciate your time.

Quick update -

The technician who was managing the unit from his computer has uninstalled the software and the unit is now advertising on scans. I guess the next move is to put the control software on a server at our HQ that would then go on to manage other locations. A few questions at this point:

1) Is it possible to manage devices on other subnets from the console if managed by only machine?

2) What would we have to do to regain access to the AP's if the server incurs catatonic data loss where backups are not an option?

I apologize for asking what seems to be silly questions here, but it's ground I need to cover before we budget for this.

Thank you for your time.
Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 527
Solutions: 17
Contributions: 1

1) Is it possible to manage devices on other subnets from the console if managed by only (other) machine?

UniFi is web-based, so as long as the controller is reachable, you can manage it from anywhere.

2) What would we have to do to regain access to the AP's if the server incurs catatonic data loss where backups are not an option?

If you have access to the same L2 network where the APs are, in the next release we'll provide a way where you can discover and reset the local APs.
Regular backup is your best bet, a sample script to automatically create a backup is provided here:
www.ubnt.com/forum/showthread.php?p=137863&highlight=backup+database#post137863

Cool, thanks - got it bookmarked for future reference.

Can you link me to some UniFi documentation that goes beyond the Quick Start Guide? I'm having issues with some simple features that should/need to be there like initiating a manual scan across the network to find new AP's. If it's not on the board for a future UniFi release, something as simple as a "scan" button included in the UniFi management screen would be very helpful.

Thanks for your time.
Veteran Member
Kudos: 5295
Solutions: 78

Cool, thanks - got it bookmarked for future reference.

Can you link me to some UniFi documentation that goes beyond the Quick Start Guide? I'm having issues with some simple features that should/need to be there like initiating a manual scan across the network to find new AP's. If it's not on the board for a future UniFi release, something as simple as a "scan" button included in the UniFi management screen would be very helpful.

Thanks for your time.

Agreed... this is the least intuitive software I've used. Here's hoping the next version is better. I am having serious problems getting my UniFi APs working.
Veteran Member

I give up... I'm labeling this release of the controller software with an F-.
I had to ssh into the access point, issue a:
ifconfig "br0" 192.168.1.20 netmask 255.255.255.0 up
Then give my laptop a static 192.168.1.30.
Then it provisioned.
Then I had to SSH into the AP and change the mgmt file to have the correct IP of the provisioning server.
However, it now just sits and works.. but doesn't talk to the management server.
It appears that the AP is attempting to connect to the provisioning server:
mca-ctrl -t connect -s 172.10.
And it just sits and sits and sits, even though the server is listening.
Following the instructions above did not fix the issue.

I gave up on the software as well and installed AirOS over the shipped firmware but now i cant get any clients to connect......Yaaaaaay. Not trying to thread jack.
Veteran Member

I gave up on the software as well and installed AirOS over the shipped firmware but now i cant get any clients to connect......Yaaaaaay. Not trying to thread jack.

You can install AirOS? And make this a stand-alone AP?!?! Please tell how!

ubnt.com/forum/showthread.php?p=155815#post155815

Read my posts.
h**p://ubnt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25524

Here ya go!

h**p://ubnt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25524

I cant post links but its in the AirOS SDK forum "Building AirOS 5.2.1 SDK for UniFi AP's - (For Standalone Mode - NO CONTROLLER))"
Veteran Member

After letting everything sit for a good 30 minutes or so it finally synced! I'm told by Jerry the next version of software should fix this.
Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk

Any word on a release date for this new firmware?