Kudos: 1

Everything is great - not so much - Blocked by access control is out of control

[ Edited ]

Wondering if anyone else is seeing this issue.

Blocked by access control is showing 1978842 failures. I tried updating everything today to the latest stable version(s) to see if that would somehow mitigate the issue - it did not.

Screen Shot 2018-11-13 at 10.30.04 PM.pngScreen Shot 2018-11-13 at 10.33.14 PM.png

It doesnt seem to be affecting anything, however, being a total noob, and only having this unifi network less than two weeks, I'm just wondering if there's anything I should be doing besides turning a blind eye to it?

Thanks in advance.

- Almost forgot to mentinont that there is nothing in the blocked clients section of insight. As the "i" suggests checking "Blocked Known Clients for reasons why clients are blocked".

Screen Shot 2018-11-13 at 10.41.14 PM.png

Zane 

Kudos: 3006
Solutions: 810

Re: Everything is great - not so much - Blocked by access control is out of control

Hello @zanesavage,

Do you have a guest portal?

Not sure if it means the access control list of the Guest Portal.

Regards,

Glenn R.

Cloud Hosted Controllers | Glenn R. | UniFi Installation/Easy Update Scripts | UniFi-VoIP Installation Scripts
USG-4-PRO • USG
USW-48-500W • USW-24-POE-250W 2x • USW-16-POE-150W 3x • USW-24 • USW-8-150W • USW-8
UAP XG • UAP-SHD • UAP-HD • UAP-NanoHD • UAP-AC-PRO 2x • UAP-AC-LITE • UAP-AC-IW • UAP-AC-M
UCK-G2-PLUS • UCK-G2 • UCK
Emerging Member
Kudos: 4
Solutions: 2

Re: Everything is great - not so much - Blocked by access control is out of control

Thank you for taking this point, I notice exactly the same thing.

Association Failures.png

By clicking on the blue info circle, a blank log page will be displayed: "No known clients found"

So ...

1. what is the real reason for this large number and
  2. how could this counter be reset?

Regards, Marco

Established Member
Kudos: 833
Solutions: 84
Contributions: 1

[ Edited ]

Firmware 4.0.6 (beta) was released and, among the changelog, there's:

[UAP] Fix false MAC filter rejection anomalies in the controller.

As said, it's still in beta, but UniFi beta usually are pretty stable. If you wanna try it, and remember you can always downgrade if needed, the URL is:

https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-Beta-Blog/FIRMWARE-4-0-6-9572-for-UAP-USW-has-been-released/ba-p...

Solutti Tecnologia Ltda - Goiânia/Goiás/Brazil
www.solutti.com.br / www.wifiquefunciona.com.br
Ubiquiti Enterprise Wireless Admin (UEWA) certified
did my answer helped you ? if yes, i would love your kudos on it Man Happy
Emerging Member

Thanks for the recommendation, I have the beta firmware 4.0.6 installed - unfortunately without a change, the number is steadily increasing.
The problem must have a different cause, unfortunately I find no clue, because in the log nothing is recorded accordingly.
Emerging Member

[ Edited ]

@so wrote:

So ...

1. what is the real reason for this large number and
  2. how could this counter be reset?

Probably, I have just found an answer to my question 1: The problem might be the "WHITELIST". Disabling the option "Enable filtering MAC addresses" does not count any additional events.

Now, only follow-up question 2 is open: How can I reset the counter, I would like to eliminate the 78195 "errors" from the dashboard?

Kudos: 91

I'm seeing the same thing here.

Screen Shot 2018-11-18 at 2.20.24 PM.png

Controller: 5.9.32.0
UniFi Security Gateway: 4P 4.4.29.5124212

it's gone back down and hovering around 3953, which is still unusual. But, if I'm looking at the glass as half full - it's definitely an improvement.

leonardogyn suggested the new beta, which unfortunately didn't fix the issue; if anything it might have caused some other problems. I ended up downgrading.

No guest portal on my network AmazedMender16.

In all honesty I could live with just turning a blind eye to that number, so long as it wasn't causing any issues. Which it doesn't appear to be.

What I would like is for the unifi team to enhance the DHCP side of things - it's bloody terrible.

I was previously using pfsense and two asus routers which in retrospect worked pretty flawlessly - especially the pfsense. However, after moving into a large home of just under 5000 sqft I decided to upgrade everything to UNIFI:

• 1 USG-PRO
  • 3 AP-PRO
  • 1 AP-INWALL
  • 1 8 PORT SWITCH
  • 1 24 PORT SWITCH
  • 1 CloudKEY

All I can say is that I'm really disappointed. I've had so many issues over the past 2 weeks setting this network up:

- losing access to cloudkey - sooo many times
- cloudkey sd card keeps disconnecting on a regular basis
- hardware occasionally disconnecting
- fixed IP's not sticking
- DHCP is so, so, so lacking
- WIFI signal strength is terrible when any object (wall, etc) is in front of it, which I'm chalking up to poor antennas.
- USGPRO in comparison to pfsense is a joke

The system in my humble opinion is also not very intuitive.

The only positive thing I can say about the system is that the switches are fantastic, and the interface is pretty (when its working properly).

Did I mention I despise the DHCP - please for the love of baby jesus UNIFI. Update that DHCP!

I see logs on my AP such as

EVT_AP_STA_ASSOC_TRACKER_DBG: event_id: 1 event_type: failure while the number is going up. Can someone check this out?

I believe this may be related to a problem Im having also..... My NS M3 wont connect to an AP anymore after working fine for over a year.... I know its a noobe question but where do I find this whitelist setting you refer to in your above post??
Kudos: 121
Solutions: 31

[ Edited ]

@RPSTiger Navigate to Settings > Wireless Networks > (network) Edit > MAC Filter

Also make sure you didn't outright block it.  Navigate to Insights > Known Clients > Extend time to All > select "Blocked"

Blocked.PNG

I have one blocked client that I know has not been connected to the network but the AP report blocking something (cannot find out what - "Access Poiunt XYZ rejected some MAC address for the last 2 hours").

What's more interesting is that the iPhone app does not show any "blocked by access control" but the controller (via the CloudKey IP) shows a lot! 

I am not convinced it is real and is more a bug. I have now unblocked the client and I suspect all the messages will go away. 

Do you have any SSIDs using Mac filtering? 

I have the same issue. Above 1 million "association failures" with most on the "Blocked by access control" category.

The "anomalies" event section seem to indicate only 2 of my APs are subject to those, they both have an IoT specific SSID enabled that whitelists a set of MAC. All the APs carry other SSIDs, none of which have any MAC filtering.

I disabled the MAC filter on the IoT SSID and the "anomalies" seems to have stopped.

I don't think there are actually association failures, but maybe the AP sees packets from devices on the other SSID and thinks those were not allowed?

Currently my other SSIDs and the IoT SSID are all on the same tagged VLAN. This will be changing soon once I finally setup MAC RADIUS dynamic VLAN assignment.

Nope - nothing. Simple home network. 

Hello @richardjpalmer,

What controllee/firmware version are you on?

Regards,

Glenn R.

Cloud Hosted Controllers | Glenn R. | UniFi Installation/Easy Update Scripts | UniFi-VoIP Installation Scripts
USG-4-PRO • USG
USW-48-500W • USW-24-POE-250W 2x • USW-16-POE-150W 3x • USW-24 • USW-8-150W • USW-8
UAP XG • UAP-SHD • UAP-HD • UAP-NanoHD • UAP-AC-PRO 2x • UAP-AC-LITE • UAP-AC-IW • UAP-AC-M

Cloud Key Firmware: 0.13.2

Controller Version: 5.10.12-11629-1

USG Firmware: 4.436.5146617

AP-LR Fireware: 4.0.15.9872 (not yet able to upgrade via controller to 4.0.2X....

iPhone App: 4.4.1

Hello @richardjpalmer,

Could you take a screenshot of the list?

I do recommend upgrading to 4.0.21.

Regards,

Glenn R.

USG-4-PRO • USG

I assume you mean the below screen shot?

I cannot upgrade to 4.21 for the APs as when I try to do this manually using the link from the Unifi website I get Error 74 download failed. It has not yet appeared in the list in settings for me to cache and install. Unless you know another way or ehy I get Error 74?

Clipboard01.jpg

Hello @richardjpalmer,

Do you have any blocked clients?

Insights > Known Clients ( SHOW ALL BLOCKED )

Cache the firmware on the controller and upgrade after the firmware has been cached.

Settings > Maintenance > Firmware

Regards,

Glenn R.

USG-4-PRO • USG