Emerging Member
Kudos: 2
Solutions: 1

Exterior device for low-level Wi-Fi usage and survellience cameras

[ Edited ]

In the diagram below, the upper building is now an accomodation block at a wedding barn. The bedrooms (4) are served by two interior UAP LR access points which work well. However, due to the construction of the barn (metal walls with kingspam metalised insulation), the signal is pretty weak outside on the veranda (1). My client would like this to be improved but also at the same time, be ready for the installation of two wireless webcams at (2) and (3), i.e. opposite on the top corners of the barn. These will be installed by another contractor.

My first thoughts were to install a UAP-AC-PRO mounted on the outside wall at (3) which I've used before and I know will certainly be more than capable:

https://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/products/23765-ubiquiti-uap-ac-pro/

However, I wondered if the UAC-AC-M would also work as well/better? Needless to say a bit cheaper.

https://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/products/27503-ubiquiti-uap-ac-m/

Even cheaper still is the NSM5 NanoStation M5 although personally I'd prefer to stick to the UniFi range for consistent management.

Tens Wi-Fi 2.png

Emerging Member
Kudos: 2
Solutions: 1

Re: Exterior device for low-level Wi-Fi usage and survellience cameras

PS. I guess I'm asking about the signal dissipation shape of the UAP-AC-PRO compared with the UAC-AC-M. One can kind of get a feel of the shape of the AC-M works with it's two vertical antennae. Never quite so sure with the circular UAP-AC-PRO
Established Member
Kudos: 430
Solutions: 70

Imagine a donut/frisbee. I wouldn't mount an AC-pro on an outdoor wall and expect it to go far forward ("underneath" itself). Use the AC-M-Pro instead.

How far is it from 1 to 2&3?

Controller: 5.9.26 | Sites: 12 | Devices: 55 | Clients: ~250
USGs (4.4.28): XG8 (x1) | Pro4 (x4) | USG3 (x4)
UAPs (3.9.50): AC-Pro (x17) | AC-LR (x3) | Mesh-Pro (x2) | Mesh (x1) | Outdoor+ (x2)
USWs (3.9.50): US-16XG (x2) | US-40-500w (x3) | US-24-250w (x2)| US-8-150w (x3) | US-8-60w (x3) | US-8 (x2)
Veteran Member
Kudos: 1110
Solutions: 186

Why not mount an AC-M at position (1)? Expecting the far camera to get a good signal in parallel to the long wall will disappoint you.