Kudos: 5
Solutions: 1

Extra 5GHz channels in Europe

Hi folks

I was just wondering if there are any plans to enable the extra 5GHz channels that we can now use in Europe with DFS/SRD?

68, 96, 140, 144, 149, 153, 157, 161, 165, 169, 173

Thanks

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_WLAN_channels#5_GHz_(802.11a/h/j/n/ac/ax)

Kudos: 121
Solutions: 2

Re: Extra 5GHz channels in Europe

Ohhhh goodie! More spectrum!
Established Member
Kudos: 400
Solutions: 75

Don't hold your breath is my advice.

C144-165 has been available for use in the UK (and other ETSI countries) for 15 months now & no sign of any activity at all from UBNT - despite many posts like yours. All of their competitors allow usage of these channels.

I gave up waiting and started installing Mikrotik APs - can't ignore 6 x 20MHz/3 x 40MHz/2 x 80MHz new channels forever, although UBNT would have you do exactly that.

It'd be interesting to know the reasoning behind the inertia. Is it as simple as changing a 0 to a 1 in their source code or does it involve the legalities of certification/regulation? That's rhetorical by the way; I don't expect answers.

Spoiler
Either way, the New Zealand regulatory domain helps for now Man Wink
Highlighted
Established Member

You're going to get a reply anyway Man Wink

Being serious I think its important for installers to consider where the OEM's main market is.

My personal opinion is that UBNT is almost totally USA-focused and whoever is responsible for looking at international compliance is either :

a) hugely overloaded;

b) not technically capable of doing the job so relies on engineering to advise on virtually everything. This results in LONG delays - or nothing ever happening.

For the channels I listed the DFS detection algorithms are the same & the permitted power levels are greater than Unifi kit is capable of producing. You don't even need to re-cert the bloody thing, just tick the boxes & pay the fee!

YMMV of course.

Kudos: 121
Solutions: 2

Actually power levels look quite a bit lower than the max supported by most APs (25mW = 14 dBm, so probably around 11dBm + antenna gain). Certainly looks like single room deployments.

Paging @UBNT-jeff
Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 1142
Solutions: 29

We're still investigating... Sorry I don't have an ETA.
Want to try out new features or fixes before they're released as Stable? Sign up for Beta here: https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/204908664-How-To-Signup-for-Beta-Access
Having connectivity issues? See: https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/221029967-UniFi-Debugging-Intermittent-Connectivity-Issues-on-your-UAP
Kudos: 92
Solutions: 5

Please get this frequency thing in order. I send multiple emails with proof of frequency ranges that can be used in the netherlands, without any response. I'm now switching to different country codes which allow the extra(legal) channels, but of course this is completely stupid. UBNT, check your facts...

Alexander Lantink
ColoCenter bv
www.colocenter.nl
Kudos: 126
Solutions: 12

which countries would that be ? Man Wink

@olbjan wrote:
Certainly looks like single room deployments.

It's actually high density overlapping ranges I'm in need of. Proximity to nearest AP means low power is perfect.

@audio-catalyst wrote:

The two that stand out for me are New Zealand and Singapore.

Please bear in mind that although these channels are permitted in Europe, their use may still be illegal if you aren't observing the correct power and DFS restrictions. The rule of thumb I've been sticking to is as low a power as possible and only indoors.

@UBNT-jeff wrote:
We're still investigating... Sorry I don't have an ETA.

I appreciate your response but all I can say that after £15,000 of embracing UniFi wireless, switching and CCTV (don't get me started on the UniFi Protect debacle) I'm starting to regret persuading my company it was the way forward.

Established Member

[ Edited ]

I hear what you say - I think TBH Mikrotik is a better long-term bet for European installers than UBNT as its Mikrotik's core market.

If nothing else the GDPR fiasco proved that - with UBNT posting some crappy scripts 3 hours before the deadline after 5 months of lies & saying they "delivered".

UBNT have better radios/antennae (although still no 60GHz kit), Mikrotik have better routers. Swings & roundabouts....

Kudos: 92
Solutions: 5

[ Edited ]

@audio-catalyst wrote:

For example germany. It's our neighbouring country falling under the same EU regulation. The firmware of germany allows the use of 5725 to 5875. Indeed the transmission power is something to take into account, since they are not equal. But at least i can use the frequencies. I must confess that my main priority is the airmax line to be fixed. But this also qualifies for outdoor unifi.

I send dutch regulatory documents several times to UBNT. But since it's in dutch they probably don't understand and go the safe way.

@ubntpeople : 5725-2825 is allowed to be used at 25 mW e.i.r.p. Please add it to your firmwares. Now i'm using v8.4.3 where it was still working. Switching everything to germany will be the next step if you don't want to correct this error.

Alexander Lantink
ColoCenter bv
www.colocenter.nl