Highlighted
Kudos: 1

Extremely slow download speed on UAP-AC-Pro

Hi All,

Thank you for taking the time to read this post and thanks in advance for any help. I have already read multiple posts regarding slow performance but, I believe my post deserves its own thread. Let's begin with the issue. We have a dedicated gigabit ethernet provided by Cox Communication coming into our building. The cable is plugged into a Ubiquiti Edge Router Pro 8 for routing and Ubiquiti Edge Max  48-Port 500 Watt POE Switch. We have 8 UAP-AC Pros that are connected the edge switch, powered via POE, and placed in different locations around the building. Plugging in a computer using an ethernet connection directly to the switch can get up to 800 Mbps of download speed using SpeedTest.net which is good but, we can't even get half of that wirelessly. Our Mac computers with 802.11/A/B/G/AC chipset can get up to 130 Mbps and computers with N chipset timeout during the speedtest. It is that slow. So what could be wrong: 

More Info: 

4 UAPs run with the following settings:

2G Channel Width: 20 HT

Channel: 11 

Transmit Power:  Auto 

5G Channel Width: 40 VHT

Channel: Auto 

Transmit Power: Auto

4 UAPs run with the following settings:

2G Channel Width: 20 HT

Channel: 6 

Transmit Power:  Auto 

Band Steering: Balanced 

AirTime Fairness: On

5G Channel Width: 40 VHT

Channel: Auto 

Transmit Power: Auto

Band Steering: Balanced 

AirTime Fairness: On

All Aps run the latest firmware version of 3.9.19.8123

A map of where the APs are positioned is available and I can share that if necessary. Router and the switch are running the latest firmware as well. Connecting the cable that came from Cox directly to a computer can give us gigabit speeds so I know there is no problem with the ISP. So, what could be the issue>

Re: Extremely slow download speed on UAP-AC-Pro

Any help? 

Established Member
Kudos: 791
Solutions: 69

I am surprised no one has responded to your post yet, there are lots of experienced and knowledgeable folks in this forum.
I saw your original post few days ago, but was busy testing  throughput of some UniFi APs.  I will try to help you with what I know from my experience using and testing the UniFi APs.

First take a look at my test log at https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-Wireless-Beta/UniFi-Signal-and-Throughput-Tests/m-p/2193511.  You should be getting similar results at simlar range with similar settings.

First I would test 8 cables being used for AC PROS  with either a cable testing equipment or a laptop/desktop to confirm that they are all good and give you acceptable results.
Then I would upgrade 1 AP at a time to latest release firmware and test with AC wireless device (phone/tablet/laptop, etc.)
I would test one band at a time and start with all the advanced setting off, such as band steering and airtime fairness.
You can try with the settings I use for testing.  I use iPerf3 for testing, but you can use the UniFi app to test  throughput as well.

Hope this helps and leads you to find cause of your low throughput.

Kudos: 59
Solutions: 11

i'd adjust power levels to medium on 5G and low on 2.4G. do a wireless scan with acrylic wifi on a laptop and see what your wifi environment is like. typically slow throughput issues are due to interference. i see for 2.4G you're using 6 and 11, but if you use the same channel on all ap's and they all can see/hear each other you'll have interference issues. acrylic is free, so download it and run it to see what your issues are then adjust from there.

"First take a look at my test log at https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-Wireless-Beta/UniFi-Signal-and-Throughput-Tests/m-p/2193511.  You should be getting similar results at simlar range with similar settings." 

The link seems to broken, can you please send post an updated link? 

"Then I would upgrade 1 AP at a time to latest release firmware and test with AC wireless device (phone/tablet/laptop, etc.)" 

All APs are upgraded to the latest firmware. 

I will turn off the advanced settings, run a test., and report back the results. 

Adjusting the power levels to medium on the 5G and low on 2.4G actually decreased the throughput. You are suggesting that I should put them on the same channel?
Established Member
Kudos: 791
Solutions: 69