Kudos: 15488
Solutions: 600
Contributions: 20

[FIRMWARE] 3.8.17.6789 for UAP-AC, UAP-AC v2, and UAP-AC-OD has been released

Please see our release post HERE.

Emerging Member
Kudos: 7
Solutions: 1

Re: [FIRMWARE] 3.8.17.6789 for UAP-AC, UAP-AC v2, and UAP-AC-OD has been released

Can you please provide some more details with `[UAP] Security improvement.*` ? Is there an issue with controller version5.9 as well as 5.6?
Kudos: 3006
Solutions: 810

Re: [FIRMWARE] 3.8.17.6789 for UAP-AC, UAP-AC v2, and UAP-AC-OD has been released

Hello @aseriesoflinks,

It's gonna be used for the 5.6.41 controller.

Regards,

Glenn R.

Cloud Hosted Controllers | Glenn R. | UniFi Installation/Easy Update Scripts | UniFi-VoIP Installation Scripts
USG-4-PRO • USG
USW-48-500W • USW-24-POE-250W 2x • USW-16-POE-150W 3x • USW-24 • USW-8-150W • USW-8
UAP XG • UAP-SHD • UAP-HD • UAP-NanoHD • UAP-AC-PRO 2x • UAP-AC-LITE • UAP-AC-IW • UAP-AC-M
UCK-G2-PLUS • UCK-G2 • UCK
Kudos: 126

Well I guess something has happened big enough for them to update these and at the same time require a minimum firmware version on all other devices for future controller versions going forward.

Kudos: 8
Solutions: 2

[ Edited ]

All it says is:

[UAP] Security improvement.

What exactly was fixed? Is there a CVE number?

Kudos: 1119
Solutions: 303

[ Edited ]

The fixes for other controllers/firmware are still in beta so not available to the public yet. So they probably will not give additional info until it is released as stable.

And even then they probably will not give additional info. 😉

Kudos: 1385
Solutions: 186

@RichieB wrote:

All it says is:

[UAP] Security improvement.

What exactly was fixed? Is there a CVE number?

A security improvent is not necesarily addressing a vulnerability nor "fixing" something.

UBNT generally doesn't publish CVE (or other trackng record) numbers.

This would be related to an upcoming controller update and my guess is the communication between the controller and managed devices is being changed such that both ends need an update.

Kudos: 8

@waterside wrote:

A security improvent is not necesarily addressing a vulnerability nor "fixing" something.

This would be related to an upcoming controller update and my guess is the communication between the controller and managed devices is being changed such that both ends need an update.

True, but looking at the speed of release (pushed in the LTS channel before a changelog was pusblished) there is a fair chance that it fixes a critical vulnerabilty. If it is just a minor "securty improvement" they could have released it alongside the new controller version.

Emerging Member
Kudos: 7

> True, but looking at the speed of release (pushed in the LTS channel before a changelog was pusblished) there is a fair chance that it fixes a critical vulnerabilty. If it is just a minor "securty improvement" they could have released it alongside the new controller version.

**bingo** this is why I asked. I have about 10 different firmware versions in the field and mgmt *really* does _not_ want downtime (24 hour operations and the like...). less than 1% of the ~1000 devices are on the latest 4.X firmware. most are on early to mid 3.x.

I would appreciate some additional details:
- will i be able to use a newer controller with the older AP software?
- what are the details of the security issue? Not all security issues apply to everybody in all deployments. If i'm vulnerable, fine. tell me! That way i can lean on mgmt to get these devices *patched* by justifying the ~5 min per AP downtime!

@RichieB wrote:

@waterside wrote:

True, but looking at the speed of release (pushed in the LTS channel before a changelog was pusblished) there is a fair chance that it fixes a critical vulnerabilty. If it is just a minor "securty improvement" they could have released it alongside the new controller version.

No it was released since it is a pre-requisite for the upcoming controller release.  If the controller was released first then there would be those that upgrade that without reading the release notes (far too many here do that) and end up with UAPs that are no longer manageable.

Yes - that has happened before, and has actually already happened in the beta forum.

This is also not the first firmware that notes "security improvement" - many previous releases have noted similar.  I'm not sure why this is being assumed to be any different.

My $0.02 is to have just a little bit of patience.  This is the weekend and there shouldn't be any expectation that anything will change before Monday.

If there is such a concern the best method for anything security related is to reach out via support ticket directly rather than posting in a public forum, which is less likely to get a response.  As I already noted UBNT has not provided such detail publicly - this time may or may not be different.

[ Edited ]

@aseriesoflinks wrote:

I would appreciate some additional details:
- will i be able to use a newer controller with the older AP software?
- what are the details of the security issue? Not all security issues apply to everybody in all deployments. If i'm vulnerable, fine. tell me! That way i can lean on mgmt to get these devices *patched* by justifying the ~5 min per AP downtime!

This is reaching into beta territory but the answer is no - you will not be able to use the newer controller with older firmware.  This firmware will be minimum required for the newer controller, at least as of now.  In other words the firmware will need to be updated first.

Again - there is not necesarily any security "issue".  It is listed as an "improvement" but that does not mean there is a vulnerability or issue.  There may be, or there may be not be.  Any improvement also may or may not be to the device (UAP) itself.  It could be related to improvement in the controller, improvement in the communication between controller and device, improvement to the device, or any combination of those.

[Edit]:  FWIW the release notes do include this text, which already answers the question above:

*In preparation for UniFi controller 5.6.41. This will be the minimum supported firmware version for UAP-AC, UAP-AC V2 and UAP-AC-Outdoor.

Kudos: 3

[ Edited ]

@UBNT-MikeD   

This release was prompted for and upgrade on controller version 5.6.40, and it crashed my UAP-AC "square units" the moment I ran it. 

From your release notes, the 3.8.17 firmware was only meant for controller version 5.6.41. If this is the case, why was it pushed to controller version 5.6.40 ?  Please advise. 

I must be missing something but I'm alerady on a version 4.x and the controller is suggesting that I downgrade.

Will there be a different 4.x version that is also preparation for a new controller version? Is the version I already have sufficient or should I downgrade?

Kudos: 1

@StLouisWirelessYou've got it backwards, this firmware is required before you upgrade the controller to 5.6.41 (Not out yet). It works fine with older versions of the controller.

Kudos: 1254
Solutions: 26

[ Edited ]

@braddo99 wrote:

I must be missing something but I'm alerady on a version 4.x and the controller is suggesting that I downgrade.

Will there be a different 4.x version that is also preparation for a new controller version? Is the version I already have sufficient or should I downgrade?

You indeed have.

UAP-AC and UAP-ACv2 are those Gen 1 square 802.11ac UAPs, not those Gen 2 UAP-AC-Lite/LR/PRO. There is no 4.x firmware for these UAP-AC/UAP-ACv2 square ones since it has been announced as LTS.

OK but, since I don't have any of those older models, why would the controller be suggesting I downgrade?

That suggestion is no longer appearing in my controller, not sure what changed.

Highlighted

If the controller has a lower version of firmware than your router, it'll recommend a downgrade, sometimes because bugs were found in firmware after it's release and it was rolled back, sometimes because the device was manually updated and the controller just hasn't caught up. But this thread is about a firmware you can't run for a router you don't have so it's kinda off topic here, if you want more info you should start a new topic.

Hey quick question on a slightly related subject, I still have a Picostation running 3.3.22.4024, will that still be able to connect to controller 5.6.41, or if not, any chance of an updated firmware? It's really out there in the middle of nowhere and I don't want to have to replace it, and I'd imagine there's at least a couple other people running them.