Emerging Member
Kudos: 6
Solutions: 1

Re: [FIRMWARE] 4.0.15.9872 for UAP/USW has been released | Stable Candidate

The client Tx rate on my 2018 MacBook Pro is often 13 or 14 Mbps, despite excellent signal, low noise, and being nearby to the AP. I can occasionally achieve the full 1300 Mbps or an acceptable bitrate around 405-866 Mbps that the channel is capable of (running VHT80 on channel 36), but it’s noticeable when I’m moving large files to servers that often takes far longer than it should because of the low Tx rate.

I have a gigabit Ethernet adapter. When connected at a gigabit, I’m able to realize near line rate, so the bottleneck isn’t storage or CPU.

Kudos: 381
Solutions: 105

13 or 14 Mbps in the controller UI or when you run a speedtest?

Post your system config here. Do not change the minimum bitrate on 5GHz band, leave it to default - 6Mbps. On 2.4GHz preferably change it to 12 (if you don't have "b" clients), but if you do change it to 11Mbps. 

Thanks,
Myky
CWNA
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don`t blame the device as it`s always doing what you have asked it to do, this is not always the same as what you want.

Okay, I understand that updates are necessary and I like to keep all my devices as current as possible. However, it seem like all I do anymore is update our Ubiquiti hardware. Everytime I get finished with rolling out an update another one comes along. Come on guys (and girls if applicable)....

Kudos: 1

Been working w/ this version on 2 UAP-AC-EDU units - have gotten it registered to FreePBX and functioning. Problem is when AP boots we lose baresip totally, have to remove the config from controller - and then reprovision w/ SIP info to reinstall baresip payload. 

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 125
Solutions: 11

[ Edited ]

@integritechmsp

What controller version are you running? Can you DM me the `/var/log/messages` file from one of the EDUs after a reboot?

- Austin

Want to try out new features or fixes before they're released as Stable? Sign up for Beta here: https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/204908664-How-To-Signup-for-Beta-Access
Kudos: 34
Solutions: 7

@ksimmons77 wrote:

Okay, I understand that updates are necessary and I like to keep all my devices as current as possible. However, it seem like all I do anymore is update our Ubiquiti hardware. Everytime I get finished with rolling out an update another one comes along. Come on guys (and girls if applicable)....

Why do you keep updating? Is there something in the firmware notes as fixing an issue with your specific gear? Ubiquiti gear is enterprise class gear not consumer, even thought a number of us use it at home. If you were to go look thru a similar provider like Cisco, you would find the same, many versions of code availible for the same gear. Because of changes to hardware, customer requests etc, they release different versions of code for the similar gear (and almost all of it has bugs, you just have to figure out if the bugs would affect your setup or not..). What you need and what I need can be different. 

A number of the issues I see reported in the forums here and on the edgerouter side would be less if folks understood that just because there is a new version of code doesn't mean you must upgrade. If your setup is working, don't bother, if you are having issues and the release notes mention a fix, then upgrade slowly. I have 2 APs, 3 USW and an ERL here, it usually takes me a couple days to upgrade code as I want to check as I go.

Best of luck to you

Emerging Member
Kudos: 9

[ Edited ]

@ksimmons77 wrote:

There have been a few regrettable obvious bugs in some beta Ubnt releases that should have been caught a bit earlier (memory leaks in under 24 hours and the likes) but on the whole I would rather them add new features than just milk the product for what it's worth. I myself moved from Cisco Small Business gear (RV320, WAP371 / WAP571 and the like) and there were tonnes of bugs I encountered on that (even 3 security ones) that if you were lucky there would be a quarterly update and you'd apply it and then more often than not it would not fix the issue you had long hoped you would.

You'd also get a year or so of being the "latest" product and then it would be dumped and it was clear all the improvement attention was then only on the newer model. So you felt like you were continuously buying new hardware just to ensure devs were paid to fix bugs (bubyee WAP4410N, WAP371 and WAP571).

Ubnt could quite happily just continue to milk the fact you paid for the product (after all they're not getting any more money from you after you bought the product and dev time is expensive) but in my view it's the fact they're trying to build on / improve the product that sets them aside from the rest (and gives them their strategic edge over that has caused them to rise to fame).

A lot of the new things they are adding is upstream patches like newer Linux kernels etc giving much needed security improvements. I'd rather they did that rather than sat on an old kernel from yesteryear and wait for someone to notice that their products aren't as secure as they should be.

If anything they're probably a little guilty of sharing new features with general consumers a bit too soon, the beta forum probably should hold onto the firmware updates a bit longer but then it would leave those not a part of the beta forum many firmware versions behind and every report to their problem would effectively be they don't care as you are too many versions behind and the current beta goes stable next quarter etc.

Unfortunately shortly after some of the major releases Ubnt have also had it where the beta releases fix some of the bugs that are in stable meaning that you might actually find the beta releases more stable than stable. It's a tough balancing act.

I understand your frustration but there is a nice wholesome reason behind why things are the way they are. It would be far easier for Ubnt to sell out and minimise the number of changes they make to the products but you'd end up losing out. As the old saying goes, be careful what you wish for Man Happy

Kudos: 4

This and the previous v4.0.14 keeps changing the SNMP instance number whenever the device is rebooted. I have an AC-Pro and AC-Lite that I monitor with PRTG using SNMP. When I upgraded to both v4.0.14 and v4.0.15, after the restart PRTG could no longer see ath0, ath1 and br0 (l0 and eth0 remain the same). After fixing it yet again for v4.0.15 the other day, I just ran RF scans on both APs for the 2.4Ghz band and when they completed once again SNMP was broken (see attached screen shot). It never happened with any v4 firmware. Please fix this.
Clipboard01.jpg
Emerging Member

[ Edited ]

Just curious, which tool do you use for your SNMP stats?

Michael

UniFi Controller 5.9.29 (Docker Container on Synology NAS DS916+)
UniFi AP-AC-Lite (FW 4.0.10.9653)
UniFi AP-AC-Pro (FW 4.0.10.9653)
UniFi Switch 24 (FW 4.0.10.9653)
Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 15880
Solutions: 606
Contributions: 20

Re: [FIRMWARE] 4.0.15.9872 for UAP/USW has been released | Stable

[ Edited ]

Hi all,

This release has been promoted to stable. I have fully verified that this has been pushed to the release channel as with prior releases. What I mean by that is that all controllers 5.9.20+ should only offer an upgrade to 4.0.15 for all supported models of UAP and USW. You may need to force a manual check as the controller will only check once per 24 hour period.

If you're running 5.9.20+ and some devices are not showing an upgrade, or if you are offered a downgrade after the upgrade, then please perform the following steps.

1. Increase the system log level by going to Settings>Maintenance>System, choose Debug and click Apply.
  2. Perform a manual firmware check, wait ~60 seconds and then check the server.log file. Search for `firmware`, which should bring up most lines. You should at least see a line similar to the following:
    • [2019-01-06 16:52:12,529] <webapi-4716> DEBUG fwupdate - 200 GET https://fw-update.ubnt.com/...
    • If firmware updates are available, then there will be entries for each device/firmware. Please include these too.
    • Alternatively after ~60 seconds, download a support file, as that will contain the full contents of server.log (amongst other things). 
  3. Bonus step for those who are familiar with the file structure of the system their controller is on: please also get the following file: /path/to/unifi/data/firmware.json. 

Please then send both the server.log snippets (or support file) and firmware.json (if you're able to copy it) to me via DM. You'll need to upload these files somewhere online, like Google Drive, One Drive, etc.

Cheers,
Mike

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 15880
Solutions: 606
Contributions: 20

To add to my previous post, the rollout is still ongoing for earlier controller releases, and the download site. Those are in the process of being updated.

Cheers,

Mike

Kudos: 5

[ Edited ]

Update for USW-8-150W and AP-AC-PRO from 4.0.14 to 4.0.15 works great but ..

Update on all my AP-LR 's went to disconnected after the update.

AP-LR on 4.0.10, update to 4.0.14 went to disconnected after update and same with update to 4.0.15.

After switch OFF and ON AP-LR start with firmware 4.0.10.

Kudos: 37
Solutions: 3

@UBNT-MikeDwill the 16-150W switch be added to the upgrade?  Mine isn't showing anything for it.

@Loudog2 wrote:

@UBNT-MikeDwill the 16-150W switch be added to the upgrade?  Mine isn't showing anything for it.

I updated mine today.  

Kudos: 1

Sorry for late response - OoO

Controller 5.9.29

Will try to pull logs tomorrow

Kudos: 3

@pipo10 wrote:

Update for USW-8-150W and AP-AC-PRO from 4.0.14 to 4.0.15 works great but ..

Update on all my AP-LR 's went to disconnected after the update.

AP-LR on 4.0.10, update to 4.0.14 went to disconnected after update and same with update to 4.0.15.

After switch OFF and ON AP-LR start with firmware 4.0.10.

Hi!

We have same issue. The solution was simple. We don't cache new firmware on controller. If wi-fi have not access to internet, they need fw on controller.

Go on controller to settings -> maintenance -> in firmware push cache in actions. After this update work properly. Of course controller need access to internet.

[ Edited ]

I just updated my nanoHd, I can notice about 10% increase of wifi speed.

I.e my MBP 2015 4 meters away synchronized at 868Mbps can easily reach 550-600 Mbps while with 14 version I reach maximum 520 in the same conditions (interference free 80Mhz channel)

The maximum is 720Mbps when synchronized at 1,3 (before was about 650)

The Uap is connected using usw 8 60watt Poe updated as well without issues 

@UB50 wrote:

Michael

That's from PRTG

@UB50 wrote:

Michael

Observium Community Edition

[ Edited ]

For me,

My 3 old Unifi APs didn't upgrade. They are at 4.0.14.9736. In Cloudkey (5.9.29-11384-1) it looks like they are upgrading but then they don't.

Same goes for my 1 Unifi-AP-LR (4.0.14.9736). A did try a reboot on devices before trying upgrade again)

Edit- Although I didn't think it would work, I followed the suggestion here and cached the firmware for these devices on my cloudkey. Seems to have worked. Very odd since these AP did have internet access when upgrading and seemed, according to cloudkey status, to be going through the upgrade process. I wasn't upgrading my switches at the same time or anything silly that would have removed internet when they were downloading the firmware.  (other  unifi devices updeated just fine btw)

-Eric