Emerging Member
Kudos: 7
Solutions: 1

Re: [FIRMWARE] 4.0.21.9965 for UAP/USW has been released | Stable

Has anyone been able to get control back of an AP-IW since updating from 4.0.15 to 4.0.21?

I am on the admin network now.  I can see it in the controller grayed out and "managed by others" and I can see what firmware it is running and what IP address it has at 192.168.1.12.  However, it doesn't respond to pings or SSH and won't complete adoption.

Emerging Member
Kudos: 5

The only way I was able to do this from where you are right now is the following:

(Given that the device says "managed by others")

1. Do a physical reset on the AP-IW.
  2. Adopt (but don't apply any settings.)
  3. Downgrade (either SSH or through the controller).
  4. Apply settings as per usual.

If you can still access them, just downgrade asap before doing anything else. (Sucks if you don't have physical access).

Cannot downgrade UAP to 4.0.15,nor from controller neither from ssh. Any solutions?

Emerging Member

@tertius wrote:

The only way I was able to do this from where you are right now is the following:

(Given that the device says "managed by others")

1. Do a physical reset on the AP-IW.
  2. Adopt (but don't apply any settings.)
  3. Downgrade (either SSH or through the controller).
  4. Apply settings as per usual.

If you can still access them, just downgrade asap before doing anything else. (Sucks if you don't have physical access).

Thanks.  I will attempt it after hours.  The AP-IW still seems to be working.  It won't be managed, but it is serving out the three WLANs I have configured on it judging from the large number of Rogue AP alerts I'm getting, and the two physical ports seem to work because the copier hooked up to it is still usable.  I am nervous that if I reset to factory I might not get it back quickly enough.

Emerging Member

If they're still going I would also do it after hours.

I did it at 4:30am this morning to avoid this issue and I had one of the 4 I needed to fix still die and had to have someone onsite reset it for me again.

What you're saying is exactly what I experienced. Though DHCP timed out on the new firmware so wireless clients couldn't get IPs.

And yes, they are slow to reset, downgrade and restart, expect 30 minutes.

Emerging Member

@tertius wrote:

If they're still going I would also do it after hours.

I did it at 4:30am this morning to avoid this issue and I had one of the 4 I needed to fix still die and had to have someone onsite reset it for me again.

What you're saying is exactly what I experienced. Though DHCP timed out on the new firmware so wireless clients couldn't get IPs.

And yes, they are slow to reset, downgrade and restart, expect 30 minutes.

Thanks for your continued advice.  The majority of my wireless clients are on a WLAN that, by dumb luck, I don't have on that particular AP, so it's possible that I'd be getting the DHCP timeouts too.  The wired VLAN config does seem to work, at least.

To be clear.  Do I have the procedure you followed right?  You didn't do the tftp reload procedure, you just held the reset button long enough to revert to factory defaults, then found them in the controller when they popped back up, adopted them using the default ubnt/ubnt as the username/password, and immediately downgraded them using the URL of the 4.0.15 firmware over SSH or in the controller interface?

Emerging Member

I didn't need to do TFTP or SSH. Just through the controller with a reset IW-AP I was able to adopt and downgrade. The "downgrade" option (where there's normally an upgrade link next to the AP) was added earlier today, so make sure your controller has "checked for device firmware" lately.

I hope it is as easy for you.

Kudos: 57
Solutions: 2

Updated a few sites. All my first gen UAPs are showing a rock solid 85% memory usage from the moment they came back up after the firmware upgrade. Thinking I'm going to revert tonight back down to 4.15.

Why does it matter how much memory they're using, as long as they function?
I don't understand this "I need it to show X amount of free memory" thing. What am I missing?
Emerging Member

Using 85% memory after a firmware upgrade where the normal usage is 30% means something is wrong.

I prefer my OS uses as much memory as it can. But not for no reason.

Kudos: 27

My controll 5.10.17 is indicating downgrades to 4.0.15 for my 4.0.21 APs  i am not sure how long it's been up there, but it seems like its easy to do now. I didn't change anything to make that happen.

Emerging Member
Kudos: 14
Solutions: 2

@tjharman wrote:
Why does it matter how much memory they're using, as long as they function?
I don't understand this "I need it to show X amount of free memory" thing. What am I missing?

1) Unexplained increased memory usage could be an indicator of a defect.

2) Increased memory usage could cause decreased capacity if 100% is reached with fewer clients than before.

3) Unexplained memory usage could be an indicator of malicious activity.

It is reasonable and prudent to be aware of unexpected memory usage, and it is a fair question to ask.  Absent an official explanation, a cautious administrator may choose to roll-back to a previous version.

As for me...  A quick spot check and I see an AP-AC-PRO with 80% memory usage with zero clients attached.  As soon as a few connect it drops down to 60%.

Emerging Member

It appeared for me around 5:30am Central this morning.

Emerging Member
Kudos: 26
Solutions: 5

Very odd issue after update. Not even sure how to put it into words other then WTF. 

DHCP on layer2 is no longer working if the DHCP server is anything but x.x.x.1. Was able to repeat the process several times this morning. So basicly I have Fortigate 60E at the edge with an Edgeswitch 8-150 behind, VLAN1 still for UniFi downlink switches and AP's. For ease Firewall is 192.168.1.1 and DHCP is 192.168.1.6. Layer 2 nothing special has to happen no relay required at all. Confirmed as any hardwired clients are able to get an IP. Even the AP's themselfs! 

All was working fine until midnight when all WiFi clients disconnected and endless DHCP issues. Restarting AP's nothing no change. Setting static IP on client works as expected. Booting a PC with ethernet on a downlink switch grabs an IP. AP's grab IP. DHCP sends the offer then it stops at the AP level. Yet using the 192.168.1.1 address issues IP's to wifi client without a problem. I'm rather confused at this point. I was expecting yet another odd thing with the Edgeswitch as I justed started using them when the DHCP server send the IP back to the client it just never get's out of the AP. Clients are a mix of Android, Windows, Apple, Amazon devices all with the same drop time. 

I was just about to pull the trigger this weekend and update a client site some 2000 miles away with 30AP's. Glad I stopped. Will be waiting for more feedback from the community if anyone else has this issue. 

I also tried putting the USG I have configured back in the mix to see if the Gate was blocking DHCP by some magical way on the same layer2 network... Last version was so stable even with the USG that I almost regained failth in devs. Then I remimber the world runs on Microsoft most places... I quickly gave up my faith. 

Kudos: 10

[ Edited ]

And Ubnt is back with the crappy firmware releases. 

Not that I'm an early adopter, after previous failed upgrades I do wait some days before actually upgrading. 

What I do find disturbing is the lack of information and/or docs. 

When 4.0.21 firmware was released, it clearly stated 

Note that all 1st gen UAPs (UAP, UAP-LR, UAP-OD, UAP-OD5, UAP-OD+, UAP-IW, UAP-Pro, UAP v2, UAP-LR v2) were skipped for this stable release.

No download links were provided for 1st gen UAPs, so that would make sense.

But further down, there is a line in red:

SPECIAL NOTE about 1st GEN UAPs:

• If your 1st gen UAPs are running 4.0.21, and they're working for your needs, then you can leave those devices on 4.0.21. There is no need to revert. We just want to fix a few bugs since the switch to LEDE framework.

And today, the controller shows a message that a firmware update is available for my UAP-LR, presumably it's 4.0.21? 

So what's the deal here? 

No new blog post about 1st gen UAPs receiving the 4.0.21 firmware, so after consulting the forum I see a couple of users complaining about issues on 1st gen UAP's. 

You have a great product UBNT but the way software updates are being pushed is confusing and there are often issues with the firmware. 

I hope you guys take more time to test and document. 

Cheers. 

Kudos: 6

@ragimiri wrote:
After I upgraded our APs I see on controller, that they are constantly switching between full speed and 10 HDX. Every few minutes they drop to 10 HDX and then back. I cannot downgrade, system not allowing it. Man Sad

I saw this when I upgraded SDN to 5.10.12 with AP at 4.0.18.  I ended up disabling the AP for a while (I did not like watching all the duplex bouncing).  A while later I enabled the AP and it did not behave that way any longer.  I'm not sure what the action did.

1SDN5.10.20
1USG-3P4.4.36.5146617
1UAP-LR4.0.15.9872
2UAP-AC-LR4.0.21.9965

Emerging Member
Kudos: 3

[ Edited ]

@darnestownpcYes the process was smooth (controller 5.10.17 running on the cloud), after downgrading the uap-iw from 4.0.21 to 4.0.15 (some via custom upgrade, most via the downgrade button that appeared as I was downgrading via custom upgrade), it provisioned and reconnected right away.

Although in saying that a small number of the UAP-IW (out of 40+) has been disconnected since the update to .21 and I think I have to hard reset it. One of these units is operating but with the status being disconnected, the guest portal is disabled and we have an open ssid bypassing the guest portal.

I tested 2 x UAP v1 and 1 x UAPLR v1 and it seems to work with 4.0.21. I tested only with my phone, did not try testing under many concurrent connections.

Upgraded from 4.0.15 to 4.0.21.9965 random UniFi  APs changes status from "Connected" to "Connected(10HDX)" and back.Controller 5.10.17

[ Edited ]

The same problem.( "Connected" to "Connected(10HDX)" and back.)

21xUniFi AP-LR - 4.0.21.9965 ( can't downgrade web or ssh to 4.0.15.9872 upgrade failed: firmware check failed (error: 130))
6xUniFi AP v2 - 4.0.15.9872 (no problem downgrade)
11xUniFi Switch 24 - 4.0.21.9965
UniFi Security Gateway 4P - 4.4.36.5146617
UniFi CK - v0.13.4 - 5.10.17-11638-1

second thing when upgrade from 4.0.15.9872 to 4.0.21.9965 on AP-LR and APv2 the whole lan was broken, every AP goes to the same IP from DHCP example 192.168.1.20. I must set to every AP to static IP and turn off wireless uplink becouse spaning tree goes mad.

[ Edited ]

Same problem here Mad2