Upcoming Maintenance Alert:

The UBNT Community will be upgraded at 5pm MDT on April 25th. During this time the community forums will be set to read-only status.

Learn more

Kudos: 1
Accepted Solution

Finding a Unifi installation

I've been asked to take a look at an organisation that has a Unifi network installed but no knowledge of what or where. There's a mass of servers (virtual and physical) and no one knows where the software was set up or when. AFAIK, it's around 10-15 APs on one site. 

I've got a bit of experience in Unifi, and am wondering if my best bet is to recreate the whole thing afresh and adopt the APs to the new installation? Is there an easier way - ie. scan the network, find the web server and somehow break into the system? 

I suspect I'm clutching at straws here but would welcome advice!

thanks in advance

clum2

Accepted Solutions
Kudos: 63
Solutions: 8

Re: Finding a Unifi installation

clum2 wrote:

Thanks for the tips guys; no idea what the password is,or indeed if there's even a controller still present (if it was ever onsite...). I've run a quick port scan and found the WAPs on the network (reporting as Ubiquiti devices) but no sign of anything with 8080 or 8443 open. I've found a Windows server that's got Java installed on it but no sign of any Ubiquiti software; possible uninstall?

The machine with the controller may no longer even exist or it could be a VM which has been shut down. I think you're at the point where, unless the network is complex, you may be better off simply rebuilding the controller. the hardest part will be factory resetting the APs if they are in hard to reach places.

View solution in original post

All Replies

You pretty much have to know what machine is hosting the controller. Even then you need the password to get into the interface. It's possible the controller is no longer even running as the devices will chug along happily with no controller in many cases.

Assuming it's a pretty basic setup and if nobody can get you the controller info I would just go ahead and set up a new controller and then reset the devices and adopt them in the new controller. Final step in the process is to document the new controller. You don't want this to happen again Man Happy

Established Member
Kudos: 593
Solutions: 79

[ Edited ]

First try to resolve the local hostname "unifi", and if that gives you an IP you have a starting point.

If that does not work you could check if the controller is set to publish its presence via UPnP.

You could also capture your LAN traffic (port mirror on a switch) and look for INFORM traffic directed to port 8080.

In any case you will need to recover the controller login: If this is very old install then look here, else try this. Of course, if you know the admin e-mail address, then you could use the recovery option presented to you on the login screen.

Approach 2: Perform a physical reset on each AP (can you reach them?) and start with a fresh controller. Obviously you need to be able to access the APs, and you would need to ask for basic information like SSIDs and passwords, or else have everyone adjust to your new settings.

Kudos: 52
Solutions: 2

Aproch 3, do a simple port scan on the server park, see if the are any servers responding to unifi ports, and you're golden in under 5 minutes without hassle

audio-catalyst wrote:
Aproch 3, do a simple port scan on the server park, see if the are any servers responding to unifi ports, and you're golden in under 5 minutes without hassle

Assuming you know the password, which I assumed was not the case here Man Happy

Thanks for the tips guys; no idea what the password is,or indeed if there's even a controller still present (if it was ever onsite...). I've run a quick port scan and found the WAPs on the network (reporting as Ubiquiti devices) but no sign of anything with 8080 or 8443 open. I've found a Windows server that's got Java installed on it but no sign of any Ubiquiti software; possible uninstall?

clum2 wrote:

The machine with the controller may no longer even exist or it could be a VM which has been shut down. I think you're at the point where, unless the network is complex, you may be better off simply rebuilding the controller. the hardest part will be factory resetting the APs if they are in hard to reach places.

Established Member
Kudos: 593
Solutions: 79

Does the host "unifi" resolve to anything? If not, then traffic capture an AP and look for its attempt to find the controller and to inform on it on port 8080 tcp (port mirror on a switch plus wireshark).

Else: Indeed do tthe factory default dance and start from zero.

Highlighted
Kudos: 52
Solutions: 2

Or just login to mongo and get the password :

install mongo explorer and connect to database.
Port: 27117
Database: ace
The rest of the settings are just the defaults.

Under collections select "admin" then select what shows up under documents to display the username and password.
Kudos: 61
Solutions: 19

[ Edited ]

Nice option @audio-catalyst, but for now the controller isn't even found :mad2 

Cheers,

Mike

If the feedback solved your problem or question. Please mark it as solved. If it is worth some Kudo’s don’t forget to give some :-)

I think it's probably going to be easiest to just recreate the whole setup - thanks for the suggestions guys.

SuperUser
Kudos: 3332
Solutions: 323

clum2 wrote:

I think it's probably going to be easiest to just recreate the whole setup - thanks for the suggestions guys.

I think your right.  Just facory reset the APs one at a time, adopt them and then ensure everyting is still working. If you keep the same SSID and password the un adopted and newly re-adopted APs should work together just fine.  If you run into an issue, you have time to fix it with just one or a few APs then all of them at the same time Man Happy

When you receive a solution to your question/issue, don't forget to mark your thread as solved and to give kudo's to the people who have helped you out!

Having wifi problems? Take a look here first: https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/221029967-UniFi-Debugging-Intermittent-Connectivity-Issues-on-your-UAP