Forgot password unify controller MacOS

Hello,

I wanted to manage my dads unifi AC, but he forgot his unifi controller password. 

Al the other topics state that you can retrive it via a special why (he didn't set-up a SMTP for forgot my password), but all these topics talk about quickhash.com . Now the problem is that I can't reach that website. 

Is there an other way to reset the password?

Thanks in advance. 

Established Member
Kudos: 132
Solutions: 43

Re: Forgot password unify controller MacOS

Welcome to the forum,

Why not start from scratch? Maybe easier.....

Reset AP thrue paperclip and install the right controller software from scratch.

You're talking about AC, could give us the right model name, this because of supported controller versions!

Cheers,

Mike

If the feedback solved your problem or question. Please mark it as solved. If it is worth some Kudo’s don’t forget to give some :-)

Dear Mike,

Thanks for your answer. 

We don't start from scratch because the Unifi AC-Pro is already set up, but just wanted to check some settings.

What do you mean with resetting to factory with paperclip? Is that the discover app? (Using MacOS)

Established Member
Kudos: 249
Solutions: 90

Hi @LeonFeijen
Mike suggested just to uninstall the controller (which should remove everything) and then install the controller again, and then you have to reset the AP with a paperclip and configure everything again.
Here's how to reset the AP:
https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/205143490-UniFi-How-to-Reset-the-UniFi-Access-Point-to-Facto...

There's an advanced way to reset the password by editing the database, but you need to know what you're doing:
https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-Wireless/Controller-not-letting-me-change-admin-password/m-p/156...

@flamber Thanks for the answer. Was thinking to hard about the paperclip haha. I get it.

Saw the advanced option you mentioned, but the website they use (quickhash) doesn't work anymore. 

I think we have to reset everything to factory then, since the advanced option doens't work.

Will wait for any other options

Kudos: 3072
Solutions: 821

Hello @LeonFeijen,

Welcome to the community!

Take a look at this thread.

You can try this, but haven't testing this on MacOS.

mongo --port 27117 ace --eval "db.admin.find().forEach(printjson);"
mkpasswd -m sha-512
mongo --port 27117 ace --eval 'db.admin.update( { "name" : "<UserName>" }, { $set : { "x_shadow" : "<output_previous_command>" } } )'

Regards,

Glenn R.

Cloud Hosted Controllers | Glenn R. | UniFi Installation/Easy Update Scripts | UniFi-VoIP Installation Scripts
USG-4-PRO • USG
USW-48-500W • USW-24-POE-250W 2x • USW-16-POE-150W 3x • USW-24 • USW-8-150W • USW-8
UAP XG • UAP-SHD • UAP-HD • UAP-NanoHD • UAP-AC-PRO 2x • UAP-AC-LITE • UAP-AC-IW • UAP-AC-M
UAS-XG • UCK-G2-PLUS • UCK-G2 • UCK
Established Member
Kudos: 249
Solutions: 90

@LeonFeijen
You can just use this hash, since it's just "password" and then when you login to the controller, you can change that.
$6$9Ter1EZ9$lSt6/tkoPguHqsDK0mXmUsZ1WE2qCM4m9AQ.x9/eVNJxws.hAxt2Pe8oA9TFB7LPBgzaHBcAfKFoLpRQlpBiX1

hi @AmazedMender16 Thanks!

Really want to try this, but don't know where to put the codes you mentioned and are being told in the discussion you linked.

Highlighted
Kudos: 3072
Solutions: 821

Hello @LeonFeijen,

In a terminal.

Replace <UserName> with the admin account name and the <previous_comman_ouput> with the hash @flamber shared ( easier )

Regards,

Glenn R.

Cloud Hosted Controllers | Glenn R. | UniFi Installation/Easy Update Scripts | UniFi-VoIP Installation Scripts
USG-4-PRO • USG
USW-48-500W • USW-24-POE-250W 2x • USW-16-POE-150W 3x • USW-24 • USW-8-150W • USW-8
UAP XG • UAP-SHD • UAP-HD • UAP-NanoHD • UAP-AC-PRO 2x • UAP-AC-LITE • UAP-AC-IW • UAP-AC-M
UAS-XG • UCK-G2-PLUS • UCK-G2 • UCK