Kudos: 1
Solutions: 2
Accepted Solution

Formerly connected smart tv can no longer connect (incorrect password)

Hello all,

First post to the board here...hoping for some insight.  I have a full Unifi setup in our new home and things are going great except for one Vizio television. It was connected wirelessly to this same network in our old house and then again for a short period of time here in the new house.  As I got things together, I moved this tv to a wired setup and again, things worked great.  I added another piece of equipment to the entertainment center that I chose to hook to the tv's ethernet wall jack, so I wanted to reconnect this tv via wifi.  Each time I try I get notification thru the tv that I'm using an incorrect password.  Same network, same password.  I even tried successfully to connect the tv to my hotspot which has the same name and credentials as the home network and everything worked fine.  I've completely reset the tv to defaults as well as tried a few other tricks within the tv that I found on the net, but no dice.  My network consisits of:

Unifi USG

Unifi 24 port poe switch

(2) UAP AClite

Original Cloudkey

and for completeness... 3 Unifi G3 cameras with Unifi video running on my desktop.

Everything is running the most recent stable firmware/software.

Sorry for the long post, but I hate asking questions without giving all of the details I can think of.  Any thoughts?

Accepted Solutions

Re: Formerly connected smart tv can no longer connect (incorrect password)

Nothing blocked at all.  I actually told the controller to forget the tv at one point thinking that it might help to "reset" things to some degree. No dice.  Like I said, it's nothing critical but I sure appreciate the time everybody is spending trying to help me figure it out!

View solution in original post

All Replies
Kudos: 1717
Solutions: 517

Hello @jewellboy,

What firmware version are you running on the UAP?

Have you tried recreating the SSID?

Regards,

Glenn R.

Cloud Hosted Controllers | Glenn R. | UniFi Installation/Easy Update Scripts | UniFi-Video Installation/Easy Update Scripts | UniFi-VoIP Installation Scripts
USG-4-PRO • USG
USW-48-500W • USW-24-POE-250W 2x • USW-16-POE-150W • USW-24 • USW-8-150W • USW-8
UAP XG • UAP-SHD • UAP-HD • UAP-NanoHD • UAP-AC-PRO 2x • UAP-AC-LITE • UAP-AC-IW • UAP-AC-M
UCK-G2 • UCK
Highlighted

Thanks for the reply.

UAP is running 4.4.29.5124210.

I have not tried recreating the ssid, but that can certainly be an option if it's likely to help.

Established Member
Kudos: 423
Solutions: 60

I have had terrible problems with older Samsung SmartTV's connecting to the internet. I changed an old UAP for a UAP-PRO and it would not work until I switched back to the older UAP. Even disabling the 5GHz on the UAP-PRO had no impact. From memory, it was something related with WPA2 on the AP that caused the problem.

So, depending on how old the TV is, it might be a limitation on the wireless client of the TV, and something in a new f/w version on the access point that it doesn't like. 

It doesn't help your problem, but the issue sounds familiar. You coul try creating a new SSID on the network without any security on it, and see if the TV can connect to it. Then try changing the WPA options and see if that has any impact.

Hello @jewellboy,

You just posted your USG firmware version and not your UAP firmware version.

Regards,

Glenn R.

Cloud Hosted Controllers | Glenn R. | UniFi Installation/Easy Update Scripts | UniFi-Video Installation/Easy Update Scripts | UniFi-VoIP Installation Scripts
USG-4-PRO • USG
USW-48-500W • USW-24-POE-250W 2x • USW-16-POE-150W • USW-24 • USW-8-150W • USW-8
UAP XG • UAP-SHD • UAP-HD • UAP-NanoHD • UAP-AC-PRO 2x • UAP-AC-LITE • UAP-AC-IW • UAP-AC-M
UCK-G2 • UCK
Established Member
Kudos: 279
Solutions: 92

@alex_cambui  provided valid steps. Open SSID is the first step, this will ensure that the AP and TV can talk (so nothing fundamental is broken). Then add WPA2 but ensure you disable all FT or any other roaming features.

Thanks,
Myky
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don`t blame the device as it`s always doing what you have asked it to do, this is not always the same as what you want.

UAP firmware is 3.9.54.9373

Sorry about that Man Happy  Long drive home today.

Established Member

No no, do not drive and text)
Thanks,
Myky
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don`t blame the device as it`s always doing what you have asked it to do, this is not always the same as what you want.

Okay.  Created a second, completely open network on Unifi and tv will still not connect.  As another test, I created another network with a completely different name on the hotspot from my phone and tried that.  Tv connected fine, password and all.  This isn't really a critical thing, but it's really got me confused.

Established Member

I like to grab the PCAPs if l troubleshoot any L2/L3 issues, but l also understand this is not always possible (especially monitor mode PCAP), but in this case, it would tell us an exact reason. Do you have access to MacBook ? Do you think TV MAC can be blocked accidentally in the controller?
Thanks,
Myky

Sorry, no access to any Apple products.  I have checked repeatedly in the "blocked" section in known clients and have found nothing there.

Established Member

[ Edited ]

This is a typical case when we start guessing. Sooner or later someone will guess but ... We need to understand what is going on with the frame exchange between the devices. If you select CLIENTS > ALL CONFIGURED CLIENTS you don't see any device blocked?

Thanks,
Myky

Nothing blocked at all.  I actually told the controller to forget the tv at one point thinking that it might help to "reset" things to some degree. No dice.  Like I said, it's nothing critical but I sure appreciate the time everybody is spending trying to help me figure it out!

Established Member

Pleasure. If you want a deep dive then we need monitor mode PCAP. This will help us to understand on which phase connection fails and why:

as.JPG

Thanks,
Myky

Okay..this is a bit crazy.  I read a few posts about this happening to others. After I made that last post, I went back into the controller under KNOWN CLIENTS-ALL-BLOCKED and it was there!  I've looked there easily 5 times in the last few days in addition to looking under "all configured" just a minute ago and it was never there.  Tv connected fine now.  Thanks for everyone's help! I wish I knew how it got blocked tho....

Hello @jewellboy,

Haha, glad you found the issue!

You might have accidentally blocked the TV.

Regards,

Glenn R.

USG-4-PRO • USG
UCK-G2 • UCK