Kudos: 2
Accepted Solution

Getting iMac to connect via 5 GHz

I installed an AC Pro yesterday, hoping for a wireless device with better range and more stability in a house I just moved into. The range is fine - at least on the 2.4 GHz network - but 5 GHz connectivity is iffy at best. The AP is set up in a room across the hall from my office. I'm sitting at my desk now, and I have four devices: an iPhone, and iPod touch, an iMac, and a MacBook. The only device connecting to the 5 GHz network is the iPod touch, whereas I need the two Macs to be able to connect to that network to transfer files to and from a server in the same room as the AP. 

I know I could set up separate SSIDs for each network, but that's too much of a hassle. I'm in a big house, and if I go too far from the AP, I will lose the 5 GHz connection, and will probabaly have to manually connect portable devices to 2.4 GHz. 

I'm a bit surprised that this device isn't very good on 5 GHz. I replaced an Asus router, which connected via 5 GHz to all my devices in the office, but which doesn't have the range to get to the far end of the house. I've tried scanning channels, and used the OS X Wireless Diagnostics tool to find the best channels (which it says are different from the channels that the Unifi selects). 

Any ideas on how to get this to work? As it stands now, I've spent a few hours with it, and I'm ready to return it to Amazon.

Accepted Solutions
SuperUser
Kudos: 4664
Solutions: 1057

Re: Getting iMac to connect via 5 GHz

[ Edited ]

I agree you have 'set it up' but how in regards to -

Power

Channels

Channel width

Set channels and power don't use Auto. Use HT20 for 2.4GHz and use either channel 1, 6 or 11

Use channels 36, 40, 44 or 48 and HT40 for 5GHz operation.

Are you using one SSID for all or do you have a 2.4GHz SSID and a 5GHz one?

UK Comms & Links Engineer.

Come on you lot, Feel free to 'Mark as Solution' At least click the Kudos button. Thanks.

Top Solution Authors Leaderboard

View solution in original post

All Replies
SuperUser

[ Edited ]

5GHz doesnt like walls and obstacles that attenuate it.

As you have found the 2.4GHz performs better as it is affected so much by these obstacles.

Consider moving the AP if that will give better coverage or better still adding more AP.s

As regards your other Apple devices define a channel plan using 5GHz channels that match your devices and are allowed in your licensing jurisdiction.

Auto anything is seldom a good idea.

Come on you lot, Feel free to 'Mark as Solution' At least click the Kudos button. Thanks.

The AP is currently in the center of a room that is directly opposite my office. So there are no real walls between the two; the doors are both open. 

SuperUser

[ Edited ]

How have you set this AP up is the million dollar question.

What 5GHz channel are you using? What country are you?

I'm not sure about your question. I said that the devices are connecting via 2.4 GHz, so I have clearly "set it up." 

It's using channel 44 currently, and I'm in the UK. I initially tried manually setting a higher channel, but nothing connected via 5 GHz. I have pretty much no interference (I'm in a rural area; there are a few networks around me, all very weak).

SuperUser

[ Edited ]

I agree you have 'set it up' but how in regards to -

Power

Channels

Channel width

Set channels and power don't use Auto. Use HT20 for 2.4GHz and use either channel 1, 6 or 11

Use channels 36, 40, 44 or 48 and HT40 for 5GHz operation.

Are you using one SSID for all or do you have a 2.4GHz SSID and a 5GHz one?

I set the 2.4 GHz channel to medium power, but left all the channels on Auto. I've changed the channels as you suggested; but I thought this device was supposed to be smart enough to choose the best channels.

Why HT40 and not VHT80 for the 5 GHz channel? 

I'm using the same SSID.

One thing that happened that I don't understand: after I changed the channels, and reconnected, my Mac told me that the connection was using WEP and not WPA2. But when I look in the settings, it says WPA Personal. Any idea what's going on there?

SuperUser

[ Edited ]

Auto selects the first clear channel at start up but things don't stay the same all the time hence manual selection.

There have been instances in the past where some mac type devices don't work on some channels the vagaries of which escape me..

Thaty encrytion issue is a puzzler.

What version controller are you using? And what is it running on? Also make sure controller computer isn't wireless and is hardwired.

I would create 2 SSIDS. One at 2.4GHZ and he other at 5GHz. Enable the 2.4GHz SSID for working on 2.4 and the %ghZ SSID for working on 5. You do this by using the Overide under Config

Established Member
Kudos: 455
Solutions: 68

Not all devices support 80MHz channels and it'll be much more susceptible to interference and attenuation. Reduce to VHT40 and I'm sure you'll have better results.

I'm running the controller on the iMac; I don't have any wired computers. I could temporarily connect my MacBook to my Ethernet hub, but why would that be needed? 

I'm getting more devices on the 5 GHz channel now; thanks for the help. 

The two devices that I most want to connect to 5 GHz are both recent Macs, and I'm sure they do support 80 MHz channels. The difference is in throughput, right? With 40 MHz I'll get slower file transfers?

SuperUser

Using the controller on the same WLAN network that you are trying to configure brings issues such as misleading notifications about connection as an example.

@justinhayes thanks for answering HT80 question as I overlooked that in earlier answer.

Established Member
Kudos: 455
Solutions: 68

40MHz 802.11ac with 3 streams is still capable of in excess of 300mbps with a clean signal.
Highlighted

I know this is an older thread but there's an easy solution to this problem now. 

On the latest Firmware ( 5.10.23 for me)

Edit your Wireless Network, then click Advanced Settings

Turn on:  High Performance Devices BETA

This will make devices connect to 5G over 2G

You're welcome!

marc