Highlighted

Google Fiber 1000 Mbps Home Solution

Hi All,

I've been doing some research and reading a lot of the previous posts debating the UAP-AC-LR vs. UAP-AC-PRO and the best case for each. Still a little stumped on which I should choose for my install scenario below:

-I have 1000Mbps Google Fiber. The plan will be to route from the Google Network Box to the AP (turning off wifi capability at the Network Box)

-Hoping to install only 1 AP in the middle of my ~2000sq foot home

-Most products will be hardwired back to a switch as I have cable run to most rooms. Therefore, WiFi will mainly be used for phones, tablets, laptops, and other small devices.

Knowing my scenario above would I be best suited to get the LR which supposedly handles these smaller devices better -or- should I take advantage of the PRO's increased throughput.

Like everyone, I'm looking for the best speed without sacrificing consistency/reliability throughout the home.

Established Member
Kudos: 838
Solutions: 23

Re: Google Fiber 1000 Mbps Home Solution

What is your total budget for this project? I would go with 2 lites vs the single AP method. 

When you receive a solution to your question/issue, don't forget to mark your thread as solved and to give kudos to the people who have helped you out!

I don't mind spending upwards of $200.

My one hesistation of purchasing two units is that there would be handoff issues in moving from one end of the house to the other.  Is that a valid concern with deploying two APs in a home?

Kudos: 3070
Solutions: 821

Hello @SH_82,

No, my devices roam perfectly fine between UAPs.

I would recommend either 2 UAP AC Lites or UAP AC LRs

Regards,

Glenn R.

Cloud Hosted Controllers | Glenn R. | UniFi Installation/Easy Update Scripts | UniFi-VoIP Installation Scripts
USG-4-PRO • USG
USW-48-500W • USW-24-POE-250W 2x • USW-16-POE-150W 3x • USW-24 • USW-8-150W • USW-8
UAP XG • UAP-SHD • UAP-HD • UAP-NanoHD • UAP-AC-PRO 2x • UAP-AC-LITE • UAP-AC-IW • UAP-AC-M
UAS-XG • UCK-G2-PLUS • UCK-G2 • UCK

Thanks @AmazedMender16!

So you'd suggest two Lites vs. an optimally placed PRO?

If so, is there really much of a difference of the LR over the Lite if I were to deploy this two AP to cover both ends of the house?

Kudos: 3070
Solutions: 821

[ Edited ]

Hello @SH_82,

Yes 2 UAPs over 1 bigger UAP.

The UAP AC LR has stronger/better antennas.

However if you want to go 3x3 go with 2 UAP AC PROs and for 4x4 2 UAP NanoHDs.

Mount the UAPs on the ceiling and on both ends of the building, for example 1 on the left side and the other at the right side.

Regards,

Glenn R.

Cloud Hosted Controllers | Glenn R. | UniFi Installation/Easy Update Scripts | UniFi-VoIP Installation Scripts
USG-4-PRO • USG
USW-48-500W • USW-24-POE-250W 2x • USW-16-POE-150W 3x • USW-24 • USW-8-150W • USW-8
UAP XG • UAP-SHD • UAP-HD • UAP-NanoHD • UAP-AC-PRO 2x • UAP-AC-LITE • UAP-AC-IW • UAP-AC-M
UAS-XG • UCK-G2-PLUS • UCK-G2 • UCK