Guest Network/Portal failing every 1 - 3 days

We have two locations that, both on the same controller and which both have a corporate and guest wireless network setup.  We have the guest portal activated for the guest network at each site.  After approx 1 - 3 days(for site 1 with 2 APs, closer to 3 days and w/ site 1 with 1 AP every 1 - 2 days), the APs on the guess network need to be rebooted in order for our customers to have the guest portal popup and be allowed to connect to the internet.  They seem to be getting an ip address, just are not allowed access to the internet.  It is immediately fixed once the APs are rebooted.  The corporate network APs are rock solid  and never have any issues leading me to believe it has something to do with the guest portal.  I've seen mention of something similar a in the forums a year or more ago but those issues were said to have been fixed with controller/ap firmware updates.  I'm fairly current so my problem must be different.  I'm no networking expert but aside from continually needing to reboot the APs, and burning hours looking through the forum posts for an answer, what else should I be looking at?   Thanks for any advice in advance.

My setup:

Controller, AWS 5.10.19

T2 small, Ubuntu 16.04

Site One

USG 3p  v. 4.4.36.5146617

Lan 1 - Guest Network, 2 x  UAP v.4.0.15.9872

192.168.1.1/22

Guest Portal Enabled on Lan 1 Wireless Network

Lan 2 -Corporate Network UAP-Pro v.4.0.15.9872

192.168.22.1/24

Site Two

USG 3p  v. 4.4.36.5146617

Lan 1 - Corporate Network, UAP-Pro v.4.0.15.9872

192.168.22.1/24

Lan 2 - Guest Network, UAP v.4.0.15.9872

192.168.1.1/22

Guest Portal Enabled on Lan 2 Wireless Network

Config for both Guest Portals

No Authentication

Redirect to a promo URL

Secure Portal, Redirect using host name and enable HTTPS Redirect enabled.  SSL Cert Installed.

Angual JS, Default Template

Kudos: 171
Solutions: 33

Re: Guest Network/Portal failing every 1 - 3 days

Since the Guest Network is the only piece you mention that is failing, and it is the only piece of the network that would require the controller to be online, I am guessing it has something to do with the AP's losing their connection to the controller. This fits with the networksboth still being live since this portion lives in AP memory.

Eric

Established Member
Kudos: 1016
Solutions: 26

@mweygandt are you able to get the the splash page directly?

http://ip_or_hostname_.com:8880 or https://ip_or_hostname_.com:8843

When you receive a solution to your question/issue, don't forget to mark your thread as solved and to give kudos to the people who have helped you out!

[ Edited ]

Thanks @TyShawn and good question.  I suppose I should be able to get to it as the controller ip is listed in the pre-auth access in the guest portal, but I'm not 100% sure.  I'll need to wait to have the problem in the next day or two to confirm.

[ Edited ]

True @lcire1 .  So that would point to the contoller then as the culprit vs something locally since both sites are having the same issue and are geographically seperate?  Not sure why then it only takes an AP reboot to fix.  

Highlighted
Kudos: 171
Solutions: 33

[ Edited ]

This seems like some sort of DHCP/DNS issue given the time span to fail. i.e. you reboot the AP, it looks up and caches some path to your controller; AWS server address lease times out and picks up a new lease but given the ebb and flow of servers at AWS, actual IP changes which some internal AWS Cname record updates to? But the AP is somehow not learning of this until reboot where the process starts all over again,

Unlikely this be the actual set of events that would cause this but something sort of along that line of logic?

I don't know? Just thinking out loud.

Maybe try to spinup a local copy of the controller on one of the sites and see if it stays up while the remotely controlled site might still not?

Eric

Kudos: 1469
Solutions: 34

@Icire1 has very logical thinking and makes perfect sense. The test case seems plausible too.
Kudos: 4558
Solutions: 1186

Hello @mweygandt,

Have you already tried controller version 5.10.21 and firmware version 4.0.30?

I have multiple clients running the latest BETA firmware/controller without having an issues. ( with guest portals )  

Regards,

Glenn R.

Cloud Hosted Controllers | Glenn R. | UniFi Installation/Easy Update Scripts | UniFi-Video Installation Scripts | UniFi-VoIP Installation Scripts
USG-XG-8 • USG-4-PRO • USG
US-XG-16 • US-48-500W • US-24-POE-250W 2x • US-16-POE-150W 3x • US-24 • US-8-150W • US-8
UAP XG • UAP-SHD • UAP-HD • UAP-NanoHD 2x • UAP-AC-PRO 2x • UAP-AC-LITE • UAP-AC-IW • UAP-AC-M • UAP-AC-M-PRO 2x
UAS-XG • UCK-G2-PLUS • UCK-G2 • UCK

Yes @AmazedMender16 I think that is a good idea especially after seeing some of the recent posts on guest portal problems other folks are having.  I'll get that done tonight and hopefully that will fix the issue.  Thanks.

Kudos: 4558
Solutions: 1186

Hello @mweygandt,

Keep me posted!

Regards,

Glenn R.

Cloud Hosted Controllers | Glenn R. | UniFi Installation/Easy Update Scripts | UniFi-Video Installation Scripts | UniFi-VoIP Installation Scripts
USG-XG-8 • USG-4-PRO • USG
US-XG-16 • US-48-500W • US-24-POE-250W 2x • US-16-POE-150W 3x • US-24 • US-8-150W • US-8
UAP XG • UAP-SHD • UAP-HD • UAP-NanoHD 2x • UAP-AC-PRO 2x • UAP-AC-LITE • UAP-AC-IW • UAP-AC-M • UAP-AC-M-PRO 2x
UAS-XG • UCK-G2-PLUS • UCK-G2 • UCK