Kudos: 10
Solutions: 4

Guest Wireless and VLAN question

I have setup VLAN tagging on Unifi switch and APs to use for guest wireless.

works well, traffic is separate, and I understand more secure than using the unifi guest wireless itself.

the one thing I liked about the built in guest on Unifi is portal screen, making the user click on connect, so I would like to add that.

before I get started, I just thought I would ask, would using both VLAN and the unifi guest wireless together cause issues or overcomplicate things?

should I just leave it with the VLAN  for guest?

Kudos: 2994
Solutions: 806

Re: Guest Wireless and VLAN question

Hello @captainjtkirk,

The Guest Portal works on all networks/SSIDs with Gues Policies enabled.

Regards,

Glenn R.

Cloud Hosted Controllers | Glenn R. | UniFi Installation/Easy Update Scripts | UniFi-VoIP Installation Scripts
USG-4-PRO • USG
USW-48-500W • USW-24-POE-250W 2x • USW-16-POE-150W 3x • USW-24 • USW-8-150W • USW-8
UAP XG • UAP-SHD • UAP-HD • UAP-NanoHD • UAP-AC-PRO 2x • UAP-AC-LITE • UAP-AC-IW • UAP-AC-M
UCK-G2-PLUS • UCK-G2 • UCK
Kudos: 44
Solutions: 19

Having the separate VLAN is best for keeping traffic segmented.

In regards to the guest wireless, you are able to apply guest policies to that SSID. Some of the default things are it prevents users connected on the guest network from interacting with your corporate network.

It doesn't overcomplicate things, but in fact makes your network more secure.

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 8

Hello @captainkirk

Welcome to the community, I wanted ot say, I agree with @jsookram,Having the separate VLAN is best for keeping traffic segmented. We do automatically encapsulate guest traffic when you click guest policies, and that is something to keep in mind as well. The way you wnat it set up  will work, and does make the network more secure, if you have any issues, let me know, I will be happy to take a look.

Best Regards,