Guest portal voucher device "has become unauthorized" repeat messages

[ Edited ]

Hello community,

I'm having a massive number of messages of devices "has become unauthorized" in my unifi event log.  Guest portal worked fine as far as i can tell before and still does.  Guest use voucher based authentication.  The 2 devices generating the messages were connected for 24 hours then the voucher expired.  They did not try to reconnect.

I've tried rebooting the controller, no changes, messages are still being produced.

I'm including an imageScreen Shot 2018-04-14 at 09.57.36.png

System is running on Ubuntu 16.04.4, controller version is 5.7.20.  

Any help, comments or suggestions welcome.

Thank you

Jonathan

Re: Guest portal voucher device "has become unauthorized" repeat messages

[ Edited ]

Yes.

I have this problem to.

UNF-info.jpg

Problem:
1. The phone has access to the Internet through an access point.
2. It is not on the client list.

There is a strange error in the logs.

<webapi-64> INFO  api    - [api] api.err.UnknownStation: /api/s/default/stat/sta

Specification:

lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Description: Ubuntu 12.04.5 LTS
Release: 12.04
Codename: precise

unifi
Version: 5.7.20-10627

mongodb-10gen
Version: 2.4.14

isc-dhcp-server
Version: 4.1.ESV-R4-0ubuntu5.12

Network where users connect, guest, no password.

Thank you.

Emerging Member
Kudos: 17
Solutions: 1

I have seen the same problem a couple of times. In both situations I solved it by disabling an reenabling Guest Portal.

Regards,

Michael Lund Milo

USG 3P - USW-8-60W - USW-8-150W - 2 x UAP-AC-Pro - Cloud Key
Kudos: 127
Solutions: 9

I had this happen at a site -- in my case the repeat messages happened for several minutes but eventually stop w/o any intervention.

I have someone that is going to expire in the next hour I'm going to watch and see what happens.

Is UBNT going to look into this?  Last year on 5.4.x and 5.5.x controllers I never had anything like this happen.

I'm on 5.7.23 now with 3.9.27 AP firmware and 4.4.18 USG Pro.

I plan to wait til later in the evening I'll disable and re-enable the guest portal in hopes it clears this up next time someone expires.

Thank you, i've tried that as well, but sadly as soon as a guest expire, it start again. There's no impact except logs filling disk space, so i enable it as needed for now.

Update:

I've got this happening at 3 sites.  Ouch.  And to top that off my home network too (which I have a guest portal setup for testing!)

I've got a ticket open with support so this will get looked at by UBNT.

I''ve learned a few more things from investigating this.

1. If the client that expires isn't online and active on the network at the time of expiry, there are no log messages and all you will see is the client listed as expired if you go look in the hotspot manager.

2. When the client is online at the time of expiry, it will cyclically log the "Guest has become unauthorized" once every 2 seconds for about 15 minutes. Then it clears up on it's own (in my case).  I'm guessing if during the period of these log messages you disable and enable the portal it will stop the "bleeding" LOL.  I didn't want to disable and enable the portal right now on my sites to avoid user interruption (the APs will re-provision and gateway will reprovision also on re-enable).

So this is a log clutter issue at the worst case (and load on the cloud key) but I don't think it actually breaks user or site functionality etc.

Hoping this can get fixed in a future patch release. It's pretty annoying.

My home setup I've got a guest portal enabled and it happened once even on that system -- my phone became unauthorized and there's 15 minutes of repeating log messages in the event log.

@LundMilo I think you origially reported this in another thread and reported restarting the portal will fix things -- thanks for the workaround info.

Curious if you opened a ticket or had UBNT investigate / report this as a bug that they can fix for a future release?

If so I can mention any details in the ticket I've got going now.

Cheers.

I checked on a fourth site I have and w/in the last 500 records of the event log it had about 10 devices become unauthorized with a normal single event and no issues.  So this can work.

All of my sites are on latest stable 5.7.23 controller and APs all on 3.9.27 and gateways on 4.4.18

Kudos: 5

Did anyone ever get an actual resolution to this?  My client is a restaurant and we authorize devices for 4 hours.  At some point after expiration, I get the massive buildup of events but it does not stop after 15 minutes - it goes until I reboot the router.  It started happening at the same time I discovered other problems with the most recent "stable" updates for the Unifi switches and CloudKey.  I ran the pruning script and that took care of most of my problems but not this one.  

A couple of screenshots of what I'm seeing:

Devices and Versions.JPG
unauthorized.JPG

@sbbii wrote:

Did anyone ever get an actual resolution to this?  My client is a restaurant and we authorize devices for 4 hours.  At some point after expiration, I get the massive buildup of events but it does not stop after 15 minutes - it goes until I reboot the router.  It started happening at the same time I discovered other problems with the most recent "stable" updates for the Unifi switches and CloudKey.  I ran the pruning script and that took care of most of my problems but not this one.  

A couple of screenshots of what I'm seeing:

I could never get a straight answer from UBNT support.

I'm pretty sure their development team acknowledged it is a bug.

One workaround -- if you block the device that is causing bleeding event logging, this will stop it.  Usually after some time when you unblock it the bleeding won't start happening again.

I don't want to upgrade from 5.7.23 to anything newer unless I know this issue is resolved.

I see no mention in release notes for 5.9.x or 5.8.x but I'm not sure what I would be looking for.

If you anyone from UBNT reads this can you look to see what release will fix this issue?  Also -- are there any plans to do a point release of 5.7 or 5.8 with a fix for this prior to getting all of the new  stuff in 5.9 stable?

This is been exhausting for me all summer long at campgrounds -- when the events pile up enough, they will fill up tables in 32 bit mongod on the cloud key and then the controller stops functioning.  You know this when you can't login with a "please try again later" message or if you look at /srv/unifi/log/server.log you will see mongod errors -- usually unable to write or map a table.

The fix is to run a mongod repair after stopping unifi and then compact the database once unifi is back up.

I really ** hope ** they make a fix to this.  Very annoying for people running portals.

Kudos: 222
Solutions: 5

[ Edited ]

This is happening to us on 5.8.24 and 5.8.28, so whatever the root cause is, it's still present in those builds.

I upgraded to UniFi Controller v5.9.22 and USG Firmware v4.4.26 and the problem has not re-presented itself since.  So far so good with these versions of controller and Firmware at 6 sites...

@sbbii thank you very much for reporting this.  Once 5.9 is released as stable I'll check it out on the bench and then try it one of my sites that isn't too far away.

The campground season only goes for about 1 more month, so I may just limp along w/ 5.7.23 and then in the off season get the upgrades done and hope for the best next season.

Thanks again.

[ Edited ]

I am having this same issue. Driving customer nuts! And me too! Brand new install and new client, where would one find this new firmware you speak of? Thanks in advance! @sbbii 

It's "Beta" so you'll need access to the the Beta Forums if you don't already have it.  In my experience so far the 2 aforementioned Beta versions are MUCH better than the current rev of 5.8.x

@sbbii this seems to be working for you? I’ve been plagued by this I have 260000 records in events in 7 days! Crashes the cloud key. I have like 3 other jobs lined up but scared to schedule them with this happening.

Yes.  I upgraded one client to 5.8.24 and it was a disaster so I held off doing anything different until I could test another version.  I don't know if you saw the thread I initially started biut it got a lot of attention.  

https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-Routing-Switching/Cloud-Key-not-logging-events-DPI-or-statistics...

In my case, the pruning utility worked for me to get rid of all the "unauthorized" events but still had the problem.  The client is a restuarant that's only open for dinner so a few hours after closing I'd log in, see all the events, rebood the router and that would cover it until the next day.  

Anyway, after I got my hands on 5.9.22 I tried it at home first and it worked fine.  The new interface takes a while to get used to but I do like it all in all.  Only problem I've experienced is sometimes when logged into a site and I try to navigate to something else it errors out then I have to re-launch that site and then it'll let me keep going. 

Here's what worked for me.  As an aside I used SSH for the Controller Upgrades and Controller UI for the rest:

1. Configure Cloudkey and devices using 0.11.4 Cloud Key  and it's associated versions of firmware for the switches and AP's. 

2. Use this code toe upgrade controller to 0.11.9  https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-Beta-Blog/UniFi-Cloud-Key-firmware-0-11-9-has-been-released/ba-p...

3. Update to 5.9.22 Controller: https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-Routing-Switching-Beta/USG-Firmware-v4-4-26-now-available/m-p/24...

4. Update USG Firmware:  https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-Beta-Blog/USG-Firmware-v4-4-26-now-available/ba-p/2431472

5. Update Switch and AP Firmware: https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-Routing-Switching-Beta/FIRMWARE-3-9-47-9228-for-UAP-USW-has-been...

Anyway so far so good!  I'll post if anything hiccups but the first site was upgraded about a week ago and everything is great :-)

And a link to the pruning script to get rid of all those unneded events!

https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/204911424-UniFi-How-to-Remove-Prune-Older-Data-and-Adjust-Mo...

Just to re iterate after the firmware is applied the event log stays clear of the device unauthorized? I have seen in the past where if you prune the DB that it will clear the events but after a device becomes "unauthorized" again the parade of events continues? Thanks for all the information you have provided I am really excited to try this!

As long as was running 5.8.X controller, 3.9.41.9107 on the switches and 4.4.22.5086045 on the router, the flood of unauthorized device events came back within 24 hours.  So for a couple of weeks I was rebooting the router every night after they closed and everyone was gone and that would keep it at bay for another day.  BTW - what was weird was that it was the switch update to 3.9.41.9107 that started this whole mess to begin with.  No change to controller or router versions.  

I restored from backup and reverted the switches to the previous version and that got my DPI and event logs back, but the unauthorized events continued.